Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-19-2014, 11:13 PM   #11
03heritagerider

Default Re: Electrical problems

Ray,

Yes I have the analog volt gauge on the dash. As we were getting close to our destination the volts began to drop, then as I described at the beginning, the dash went blank as if i turned off the key, but the engine was still running.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #12
03heritagerider

O.K. The latest...

The new Xantrex inverter/charger/converter arrived on Wednesday afternoon. On Thursday I set to installing it.

Reading the installation instructions seemed very straight forward. Positive to positive - Negative to negative - white to white - black to black - ground to grounding block - plus I had the old one to use as a guide..

Started to take the old one out and it was also a very simple process of disconnecting wires. When I took the front cover off to disconnect the wires that came from shore power, that's when I saw the problem. The wiring was charred and melted together.

I put the new one in - wired it all up and it took less than an hour to complete the entire job.

I tested the unit by plugging the shore power back in...It started to hum and the charge light came on, as it should.
I then disconnected the shore power and went into the coach and hit the invert button on the remote panel and the 110 v power came on, as it should.

All was well...then...

Yesterday afternoon we left our campground and moved to another one about 25 miles away. When we arrived and I opened the compartment to get the shore power line, I noticed the heat coming from that compartment. I touched the Xantrex and it was hot. Plugged in the shore power and the unit cooled down and it operating perfectly.

Here is my conclusion/quandry...It seems that when the coach is running and we are driving, something is causing the inverter to heat up. As long as I'm on shore power all is well.

I won't be able to contact Xantrex until Monday, so...any ideas???

P.S. There were no issues with the dash battery light or voltage drop on the short drive to this location. We're booked here until March 1st.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #13
rescue7

The inverter is making electricity when you are off shore power. It will get hot. It would seem that if there was a short in the coach the inverter would trip internally and shut off the AC.

Don
Old 02-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #14
03heritagerider

Don,

Was not using the inverter when off shore power.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #15
rescue7

Check this site out for info, don't know if it will help
http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Tech-D ... versal.pdf
Old 02-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #16
Frutza

On your previous problem, what was the relay or fuse that you replaced? what did that go to? when you checked the voltage of your chassis batteries, did you also do it with the engine running? the 110 volt cord that was melted, was that power into the inverter or power out? I think I would have to start with a lot of voltage reading, chassis batteries, engine offf and running, also while pluged into shore power then also with the inverter on, check the house batteries the same way, every combination you can think of, just because they shouldnt be tied together doesn't mean they are.You had a problem with the coach running, That was electrical, then while running it seems your electriacal system was being dragged down, both of those chassis related, then your inverter smoked, coach related,and they should be two different systems, are you using your generator on any of this? also check the voltage of an outlet with the inverter on, check voltage of inverter, shore power and generator
Old 05-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #17
03heritagerider

Sorry for the delay, but we have had some business issues that needed our attention and I'm just getting back now.

Anyway, we found the problem...as you may recall, the inverter was getting very hot when we were off shore power. We were headed back toward home when I discovered the real problem.

When we went from the New Orleans area to the Memphis area, My wife kept saying that she smelled exhaust when we were driving. The inverter was very hot when we arrived at our destination, but cooled as soon as the engine was off. We stayed for a week in the campground. When leaving, we stopped for fuel and I checked the compartment again and it was hot (engine running), but I noticed that there seemed to be heat coming from the air vent in the side of the compartment.

I grabbed a screwdriver and removed the vent...on the other side of the vent, about 3 inches away was a section of the exhaust pipe. This pipe had a hole in it and was blowing the hot engine exhaust into the compartment. The inverter was not overheating, but was actually being heated, cooked if you will, by the exhaust. I bought some exhaust repair tape to try to temporarily fix it, but it didn't last too long.

We got to a Midas in Bowling Green, KY, and they were able to replace the section ($300.00) and we were on our way after about a 4 hour delay. No issues the rest of the way home.