Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
univmd

Default 08Tourmaster: Intellitec EMS Model 800

I have several questions here about my Intellitec emergency management system 800 because the manuals are unclear, and you guys have been more helpful than the dealer and maker in the past.

When I turn on my generator, the "30amp" service type light comes on, instead of the "Gen Set" service type light. Does this mean that the EMS is not protecting my Generator? Could it be because my Xantrex Inverter is already protecting the generator, so Gulfstream did not wire 12V signal to my EMS?

I am able to run all 3 A/C roof units on my generator. The EMS displays the load of current used (about 50), even though the "30amp" service type light above is the one that is lit. Meanwhile, none of the power status lights (6 sheds) are lit, meaning not powered. How can A/C work, if none of the sheds are powered? Meanwhile, if I turn off all the A/C units, then all 6 power status lights come on. Can anyone explain what might be going on, and if it is okay to run 3 A/C units on my 8kw generator?

With warm regards, James
Old 06-24-2009, 07:22 AM   #2
David Bott

Hi...

EMS (Electrical Management System)

Yes, when my Powertech 8Kw starts up the EMS shows the GEN SET light, this I know. I will need to get out to the coach at some point and take a look at the shed lights. I know they are OFF when on shore power.

I do not think I personally would run all three A/C's off the generator. But that's me.

I will need to get back to you but maybe someone else will in the mean time.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
univmd

Default Gen Set

It looks like my EMS is not operating properly with the generator running because the generator may not be connected to the EMS. According to the manual I need to, "Check the wiring between generator run light circuit and the J2, pin2, on the EMS Control Module. J2, pin2, should measure 12 VDC, or greater when generator is running and 0 VDC, otherwise." What and where is the generator run light circuit, and how do I get/look for it?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
univmd

Default Update

Just got the Tourmaster back from service center. Instead of tearing apart everything, the service center simply ran a new wire between the generator and the EMS. Now the "genset" light comes on instead of the "30amp" light, and I am able to go over 30 amps without any shedding

Additional observations:
Not a big deal but mine continues to display the amount of amps being used (even though the manual says it shouldn't when on generator). Does yours? Occasionally, the "30 amp" and "genset" light will flicker back and forth when I increase the load too. Does yours?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
David Bott

"Not a big deal but mine continues to display the amount of amps being used (even though the manual says it shouldn't when on generator). Does yours? Occasionally, the "30 amp" and "genset" light will flicker back and forth when I increase the load too. Does yours?"

This is the case with mine. It will show the AMPS used. It will not show the AMPS used if on shore power.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 08-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
GO BLUE

when on generator mine shows amps and when plugged in to 30 amps but when I plug in to 50 amps it shows nothing.....jim k
Old 08-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
univmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott
"Not a big deal but mine continues to display the amount of amps being used (even though the manual says it shouldn't when on generator). Does yours? Occasionally, the "30 amp" and "genset" light will flicker back and forth when I increase the load too. Does yours?"

This is the case with mine. It will show the AMPS used. It will not show the AMPS used if on shore power.
You are correct. On mine the ems continues to display the amount of amps being used even though the manual says it shouldn't. My guess is that a dip swtich in the back was set so that energy is still being managed and that something will be shed if enough amps are used. In the manual, I think it says that this can be done even though the default is to not have anything managed while the generator is used. And yes, on mine, the genset light flickers down to 30 amps from time to time, not sure if it only happens when I increase the load, but it does happen while I am using two or three airconditioners. And yes, on shore power, ems will not show amps used. Hmmm, I wonder why our ems flickers between genset and 30amps on generator............
Old 10-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
David Bott

" Hmmm, I wonder why our ems flickers between genset and 30amps on generator............"

Posting in this thread again to report mine is now doing something weird. Very weird as I really do not recall it doing it.

The shed lights are all on at the AMPS reported currently are 17 when it flickers. (Two space heaters and a coffee maker on.) But it flickers between 30 AMP and 50 AMP as I AM ON SHORE POWER. I am not running the Gen, yet it flickers back and forth between 30 and 50.

I am on my own 50 amp shore power... current reading from my power system display, a Progressive Dynamics, is Leg 1 118v, 12 amps and Leg 2 117v 5amp and reporting 60 Hz. So all that is just fine.

Anyone?
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 10-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
univmd

Default Weird

Hmm that is weird. So far mine only flickers while under load using generator. Has not flickered while on shore power. Yet. I will keep an eye on it and let you know if it does.

While boondocking this past weekend with the heat pumps and generator on, all of a sudden, the EMS lights all go out, as if the generator tripped. Went outside, generator was not tripped. Turned generator off and then on. Everything worked fine again. Weird.