Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
darbyjudy

Default Installing new TV

I have a 2004 Gulfstream Sunvoyager, it has the Sony 24" TV above the dash. I would like to remove this Sony TV and install a 37 inch LED in its place. I have never had this Sony out of its place so I don't know what type of material make up the cabinet that holds it. I have seen some that they just remove the outside frame and then install material to hold the mount on the side to hold the new TV.
I am wondering if any of the members has did this install and if so what am I going to run into.
Any help would be appricated.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
sd1209

Default Re: Installing new TV

I have an 06 Independence, 30' gas GS....I just replaced the old, heavy TV in the console over the driver/passenger and replaced it with an LED that I mounted over the door.....MUCH better position and makes alot more sense.......Removed about 50 lbs and the new TV weighs about 8 lbs.....

The old TV came out easily..I made a bookcase in place of the old TV...I bought a piece of 1/4" hardwood to fit over the hole where the old TV went (about 24" square or thereabouts).....Put it on a hidden hinge at the top and one magnet at the bottom keeps it closed when not in use......Mounted a picture of our travels centered in the new hardwood and all in all it turned out better than even I thought it would!! The new TV works great, is on an articulating mount and locks in place against the wall for travel.......Now no more stiff neck trying to watch TV at a 90 degree angle......

Steve and Liz
2006 30' GS Independence, 3 slides
Fallbrook, Ca

2006 Model 8295 GS Independence
30', 3 slides, V-10
sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
darbyjudy

Steve what brand and model number mounting bracket did you use. I have not found one that will lock.
Darby
Old 05-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
sd1209

The TV mount I used I got at Camping World..It is the one with a chain hanging down a bit on the bottom with a pull ring and a pin locks it flat (or as flat as you can get it) against the wall...Look on their website and it is clear the one I am referring to........I anchored it to a 12x12 piece of hard finished plywood and anchored the ply to 2 stringers I found in the wall by trail and error.....

I still found it necessary to still tighten it (for travel) against the wall with 2 velcro straps that I anchored to the mount, out of sight when not in use...without the straps it is just too unstable for me....

2006 Model 8295 GS Independence
30', 3 slides, V-10
sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
JD1790

We also have a 2004 Gulfstream Sunvoyager 8351. How did you redo the antenna connection? The book case sounds like a great idea.

Thanks
2004 Gulfstream Sun Voyager
JD1790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
J79Engine

I replaced my over the dash annolog tv with a 32 inch flat screen a few months ago. The annolog was held in with a strap to hold it down against a 1x1 piece of wood bracketed in front of the tv. Flat screen was mounted on to the face of a 2 inch thick piece of ply wood mounted inside the space where the annolog came out of, with a metal T bracket to the back center of the TV and I have had it out several times with no shake going on. The areial is joined in my case above the left radio speaker mounted in the celing near the drivers seat. I replaced the raise up TV antena to a digital bomerang or bat type digital antena which works well and don't need to worry about putting it back down. It has ied lights inside that light up to show the strength of the signal as you turn it left or right. I also have a satilite dish on the roof for DIRECT TV which we mostly use since we put that system in the house with a extra box for the motorhome, we bring it into the house when not used for long periods. Still have annolog in the bed room but I have installed a digital converter box for that tv and it works fine for the little use it gets. Just wish I had more time to take it out coast to coast but still working all around the World supporting F4 Phantom aircraft so it stays parked more than it goes out. Had a mouse in it last year so need to mouse proof it before the Winter. Little buggers will get in the smallest holes. It has been suggested the most likely place is in the engine area where he entered so I will be spraying sealent in many holes soon.
J79Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:13 AM   #7
techwiz03

I have just acquired a 1994 Gulfstream sun streamer 2000 34ft motorhome it has a non functioning 15in RCA CRT type TV. The TV comes on but won't respond to antenna signal. Previous owner has had many parts of dash apart so I am thinking he messed with tv too. All connections in cupboard for Antenna to booster to splitter (front and rear tv) and destination switch inside vs exterior tv were either hanging with broken ends or miss-wired. Front shroud around tv is broken at all four button type holddowns. I have tried removing the screws at the four button points and the map lights below the tv enclosure as a means of trying to remove the tv but this did nothing to free up the tv. On both my bounder and my Coachmen MH there were these same button things below the tv that once removed allowed the tv to come out. The Gulf Stream doesn't have such so my long winded request is how does the TV come out? Local RV shop says I need to dismantle entire headliner, and most of dash. They will remove Tv for $400 and install new flat screen for another $400 which is ridiculous.
techwiz03 is offline   Reply With Quote