Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
Texas TC

Default TV not working in the cold

We, like the rest of the country, are experiencing some extremely cold temperatures here in North Central Texas. In fact, we are going to be in the teens and low twenties for the next few days. To compensate, I decided to run an electric space heater in the coach to keep some warmth inside even though I winterized the unit prior to storing it on the pad next to our home.

While I was warming down the coach, I decided to check the TV and low and behold, it did not come on. The TV in the bedroom worked fine but the main cabin TV light would come on, stay on for a few seconds and go off.

I have a Jensen JE 2043 in the main cabin so I sent an email to Jensen to see if they could help diagnose the issue. I told them about the cold temperatures. They assured me that temperature should not have any affect on the operation of the unit.

This afternoon, I went out to check to see that everything was ok with the space heater and the coach was fairly warm inside. I decided to try the TV and low and behold, it worked just fine.

I was wondering if anyone, especially those of you who deal with extreme temperatures more often, have experienced this issue.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
Texas TC

After I sent another email to Jensen telling them of my positive results to get the TV to work after the coach was warm, I received the following email back from them this morning:

"Tom,

One of my other techs here informed me that the older TVs were not rated to operate in the same range as our current models. The JE2043 has a low-temp operating threshold of 32 degrees Fahrenheit (whereas our current models are rated down to -4 degrees Fahrenheit). I apologize for the confusion.

As with all LCD displays, in cold climates, the TV's picture quality will improve as the unit warms up.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks,

Use promo code JENTV10 and save 10% off your order from our JENSEN DIRECT online stores. Good through January 31, 2010!

Brian Woods
ASA Electronics - JENSEN DIRECT"

I guess this takes care of my "mystery".

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
coolchas11

Thanks-very interesting info. I wasn't too sure about it until I read the e-mail.