Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-07-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
chamberlain

Default Toy Horn

Looking to change out the "toy" horn under the hood that came with the coach for the real thing. Has anyone done this? I don't want to put holes in my roof.... I'd rather mount it in the same location using the same wiring.

I'm tired of getting cut off on the freeway and would like to let them know I'm here and not just a small car.

Thx John
Old 11-07-2006, 04:38 PM   #2
earljan34

John, On the pace arrow i owned before this one I mounted air horns under the hood just faced them down so water would not get in worked great.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:52 PM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

john,

I mounted a set of air horns on the 2003 Yellowstone we used to have in the front right below the "toy" horn location.

Made a bracket and bolted it to the frame and the air horns mounted on it. I used the wiring for the present horn, just tapped into it for the valve coil and just used one of the ports on the air distribution block for an air supply to it. Kept the original functional just in case there was ever a problem with the air horns.

I bought the air horns on eBay really reasonable.

Our present coach came with air horns mounted on the roof, wish it didn't because now I have to climb on the roof to clean and polish them.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:21 AM   #4
chamberlain

Ron. Thanks for the information.

From your post you indicated that you used the same two wires going to the horn from the firewall... Right. As near as I can tell one goes to Chassis Ground and the other is +12v. Waht do you mean by "ports on the air distribution block"

John
Old 11-08-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamberlain
Ron. Thanks for the information.

From your post you indicated that you used the same two wires going to the horn from the firewall... Right. As near as I can tell one goes to Chassis Ground and the other is +12v. Waht do you mean by "ports on the air distribution block"

John
On the Freightliner chassis, they provide an air distribution block that is supplied by the air pressure system for the owner to use for air horns or use for hooking an air hose to put air into the tires. On this block are several plugs that one can remove any one of them and screw in the fitting needed for what you want to supply air to. In the case I was refering to, I screwed in the fitting to supply air to the air valve which supplied the air horns.

The distribution block on my '03 and my '04 is located on the "firewall" near the toy horn. It is recognizable by an steel air line going to it and plugs in the block that take an allen wrench to remove.

When I would push the horn button on the steering wheel, it would activate the air valve open and the air would blow the air horns.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote