Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-31-2007, 09:52 AM   #1

Default Gulfstream Supernova/Endura International Chassis Upgrades

DELETED
Old 01-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Texas TC

I would like to accommodate your request but my 6331 has not really needed any upgrades. It is light enough (21600 pounds fully loaded) that the brakes work well. The clutch fan works great. On my last trip in cooler weather, it rarely came on. With the change to 529 gears from 617, the noise level, even with the clutch fan engaged, is not that bad. I do not have the folding bed so, no problems there. I have only added a Wineguard In Motion satellite dish, towel racks in the bathroom, towel hooks on the outside of the bath door and a hat rack over the entry door ( I picked up all the racks and hooks at Walmart for less than 25 bucks).

I had an exhaust brake on my Kodiak chassis coach and I thought I would miss it on the International. Fortunately, I have not had a need for it even towing my Jeep Wrangler most of the time.

Thanks for starting this forum item though, I hope others will have solutions needed by those who have floor plans different from the 6331. I will certainly routinely check this site to see what has been suggested. Also, maybe it should be titled International chassis rather than SuperNova so that those with Endura and the Conquest Super C all which can share the International chassis could add their issues and resolutions.

Good luck, this is a great idea for a coach that is very new to the market.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
Texas TC

An issue that several have discussed on various forums is the fact that when the low fuel light comes on, the SuperNova still has 40 gallons of fuel left in the tanks. This week, I had International check out my fuel system and they discovered the fuel tank pickup tubes were too short from the factory. They changed my tubes out for longer ones that should allow me to get most of the fuel out of the tank rather than having 40 gallons left.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
SueMac

Jeff, I commend you on all your rebuilds and fixes. We had the same floor plan and was built around last March. We had every problem you have mentioned as well as many others. I wonder when your coach was manufacturered. It is disheartening to see the quality has not improved.

Over time the shower floor will crack around the drain where it flexes and there will be a bad leak on the sub floor, rot and give trouble.

Check the bottom edges on the corners at the end at floor level on your slides when they are extended. Are they sealed or do you have an opening about 2"x2". Our slides did not seal at all due to the wrong trim and moulding.

I won't go on. Good luck. Glad you have worked out the bugs but I still don't feel we should have to rebuild the rig after production. Fix a few things, yes, but not rebuild the coach. More power to the folks who have good rigs with few problems. I know there are good rigs out there. We just got a bad one.

SMC
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
djee

Default Allison Transmission ECON

We have a new 6400. We have not taken it on any trips yet.
When we drove it home about 100miles. I could not see that pushing ECON butten did anything. I had a Ford 550 before this and it had the tow/haul on it and it worked great.
Can anyone give me any info on this.
Thanks
djee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
Texas TC

The Allison 2500MH has two maps in the transmission programming. The difference will normally only be noticed when you start off at low speed from a stop. In "econ" mode, the shift points are lower than when "econ" is off. The next time you drive your coach. Start off in regular mode and watch how high the tachometer goes up before the transmission shifts gears. Try it again in "econ" mode and you will see a noticeable difference in lower engine speed before shifts occur. I tend to run in "econ" mode about 90% of the time and only turn it off when in a situation where hills are present during initial acceleration. I always tow a Jeep Wrangler and the "econ" mode still works well pulling the extra load.

Good luck and enjoy your coach.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
Texas TC

One additional point on the Allison 2500MH. Even if you are in economy mode, you will override it and revert back to regular mode if you push your accelerator pedal down over half way. It kinda works like passing gear and lets you have the extra engine speed if the transmission thinks you are calling for it. Just play with it some and you will get the hang of it. I have talked to a couple of owners that had problems where the "econ" mode was not activated when they got their coach. However, in these situations, the light did not come on when the shift lever button was actuated. If your light illuminates on the dash, you probably have an operating system.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
djee

Thanks Tex.
djee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
JimBob

Default Econ mode

I can echo what TC commented on with regard to ECON mode. It hadn't been explained to me during PDI, I figured it out about a week after purchase.

You should notice a marked difference in the lower rpms that the transmission shifts. It also seems to me that my gas milage has been much improved, but I haven't yet filled a tank to verify this.
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #10
Chubbs

Default SuperNova

Hello all, husband and I are seriously considering the SuperNova. Would love the size of 6400 but wonder about dumping tanks. Having 2 bath and 2 holding tanks, how much basement space do you lose and is dumping a pain having 2 tanks. I assume they are both on same side, passenger side?

Also how do you like the quality of the supernova?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We have yet to be able to see one as no one near NH seems to have one that we can see. Anybody???

Thanks again
Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #11
Texas TC

I have seen several and they do have two dump areas both on the drivers side of the coach. It probably would take a little longer to dump the tanks but I would make me a "Y" fitting going in to a single hose to go to the sewer pipe and then it would be very easy to evacuate the tanks without changing hoses. All those extra tanks do take up space. In fact, the basement area of the 6400 has 95.06 cubic feet just a little more than the 92.08 on my 6331. The storage area on the 6372 without the extra holding tanks is 106.36 cubic feet. The loss of area is a direct effect of the extra holding tanks.

Unless you are like me and just prefer to drive a truck chassis over a bus, I would seriously consider looking at an A class if I were going to a 40' coach.
JMHO

Old 03-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #12
Chubbs

Thanks for the info on the storage. We ruled out the 40' and are considering the 6331 or 6372. Thanks again
Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote