Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
galena

Default Super Nova 6400

We are evaluating a 2009 Super Nova 6400 and trying to gather as much info as possible. I have read comments on this forum and a couple of others. My question is where is there more detailed info on the complete package? Some examples, the grey and black tank are listed as 104 gal, but how is this broken down between the two systems? The engine is listed as 300 HP but I cannot find any MaxxForce 7 specs that list 300HP. It appears the levelers are electric but can't find any info.
In summary, are other places to find more detailed info?

galena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
Texas TC

I have not researched the breakdown on the tank capacities. The 300 hp engine, being a Max Force or VT 365 is a version they built for the 4200 motor home chassis and I have not seen that hp listed anywhere else including the International website. The International dealer in Dallas confirmed for me it was a unique version of their power plant. The electric levelers are by Power Gear. I have had them for over a year and they have performed flawlessly.

I hope one of the 6400 owners can answer your holding tank questions.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
ken1373

Default Specs. on 6400

Galena, looking at the Gulfstream site it shows the grey/ black are 52 gallons each on all 3 models od the Super Nova, Ken Roberts...
Old 07-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
JimBob

I can echo Texas TC's comments on the engine. The International guys at Carolina Intn'l in Greer SC had never seen nor heard of my set up until I pulled in with turbo issues, which they fixed. They said this was really neat, that they could get 300 hp out of the engine. There was much discussion between my local guy, who was the staff expert on the engine, and the home base engineers regarding fixes. The only caveat they gave me was to be sure to replace fuel filters every oil change, due to the huge amount of pressue being put on the engine to produce such horsepower, to protect the injectors. Other than a routine oil change and checkup at 8000 miles, haven't had a bit of trouble from the power plant, and it merrily hums along at 63 or so @2300 rpm, which seems to be the sweet spot. I'm on the Super Nova cheerleading squad... we love our unit, and so do the folks that tour the unit!

Jim Bob
Greenwood, SC
http://jimbobmissbetteandbuster.blogspot.com
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
loderfamily

Send a message via MSN to loderfamily
Default SuperNova 6400 "Grand Hotel" exterior storage ques

We are considering a purchase.
We are also a large family with tons of crap in our existing coach...and wanted to view your comments on the amount of storage or lack there of on this 2009 SuperNova 6400, Grand Hotel unit.

Thanks,

SLC, UT
loderfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
JimBob

Hi Loders!
Over all, we are quite happy with the storage on our unit, but full disclosure, its not a 6400- we have the 37 foot model. Generally, we are very happy with the external storage, and pretty happy with the internal storage.
That being said, we are also almost constantly "editing" our coach, to the point of getting a little testy with each other on occasion! (Wife always, always overpacks clothes, I have too many books, etc.
To that end, we have expanded our external storage by adding three drawer Sterlite units in almost every bin- and classify - ie tools here, one three drawer for travel stuff, maps, etc and so on. On the inside, we again added three drawer units in each of the closets, which freed up room in the drawers. We also added a 7-drawer unit that takes care of our "home office" stuff, since motor homes don't have desks. Our coach has a gracious plenty of wardrobes, which is a big plus in Gulf Stream/Conquest design, to my mind.
Again, after every trip, we edit, edit edit. Focusing on a different area each time, last trip, it was the kitchen- we had too many gadgets, too large a coffee maker, too many tupperware type things, blah blah blah.
Of course, if you ditch something you absolutely must have, there's a Wal Mart not far away.
Not sure what size unit you've got- but the 6400 is a huge unit- And you can modify it on the fly- if you're getting the bunks, and not bringing grands or kids, you can stuff them with plastic storage and be good to go for an example.

Hope this helps, if you have further questions, fire away- If we had it to do over again, we most probably would be driving a 6400 today, but we are totally happy with our unit.

Leaving tomorrow for another adventure-
Good luck!
JimBob
Old 07-20-2008, 10:19 PM   #7
loderfamily

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks for the quick reply JimBob.

We are looking to pick up the unit tomorrow, and then it is off to Yellowstone.

We have a 32' towable now, and of our 4 units (8' camper-shell, then 28' 5th wheel, then 30' Class C, then this 32' towable) this one has had amazing storage. We're spoiled by the full pantry floor to ceiling cabinets, and several other large cabinets throughout the unit...outside storage is nice too, though it is central to 2 areas: a nice sliding tray pass-through in the front of the unit, and a huge "garage" on the side.

I guess it will all work out...but I agree, making personal mods enroute would make the most sense.

Thanks again for the info, and take care out there...enjoy your next adventure!

Ken
Old 07-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
JimBob

We did Yellowstone last June, just escaped 10 inches of snow five days before we arrived, it remains our favorite area of the US.

As luck would have it, we pulled into our campground site this morning and our leveling jacks have frozen, so we're awaiting a mobil repairman to make what we're pretty sure is a pad replacement. A minor inconvenience, we were all hooked up, just not totally level just now!

I'm sure you will enjoy your coach- please keep me posted of any issues, I've got some insides at GS that have always been helpful, when we needed them.

JimBob
Old 07-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #9
TheHansens

We own a Gladiator-smaller than the SuperNova, it's 32' but on the same chassis and same motor. The space is unbelieveable inside and out. Looked at a SN over the weekend and though it is roomier, we are sticking with what we have. We took a 2,500 mile trip and did not have to do any wash and very little food shopping.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #10
loderfamily

Well...after our initial pack and load and travel...the results are in:

Storage and space were fantastic!

Less than we were used to on the inside (kitchen / pantry ) but far more in the living quarters and outside storage. Nice overall storage!