Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-22-2018, 06:49 PM   #1
Sudsy

Default Filling The Freshwater Tank

I have been a little confused about how to exactly fill the freshwater tank in my 05 Sun Voyager. When I move the selector to the "fill" position it does just that. When the tank is full and I have a steady stream from the overflow I switch the valve to the "normal" position. But... The water keeps flowing from the overflow. If I don't do anything it will almost empty itself. If I cut off the city water source and then turn on the the pump and run some water it will stop. I have been able to now fill the tank and it has sat full for three days so it's not a cracked tank. It took me several tries to get it as full as it is now. I can see the side of the tank and it is about 1 inch from the top. There is also a pressure relief valve on the side of the tank that I can see. I have checked the roof vents and they are clear.

I have looked for a procedure in the book but a lot is assumed in the manuals.

Sudsy
Old 09-27-2018, 10:49 PM   #2
heetseeker

I'm stumped. Overflow lines are usually 3/8" and are welded to the top of the tank with a braided line going to the overflow plumbing. Seems like you are getting a siphoning action as once it starts to overflow, it keeps siphoning out the tank. But, I've never heard of an overflow having a drop down tube in the tank to make that happen. So that's not the issue. I know that some tanks swell when filling because the overflow line is clogged partially by bug nests and can cause issues filling as well as popping the overflow line off the tank. If the fill volume is faster than the air escaping from the vents, it can also swell the tank causing water to blast out of the fill or overflow as the tank comes back to it's normal shape....hmmm.
heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #3
heetseeker

Well, I read my owners manual and it states that "the water tank can't be filled when the coach is connected to the city water system" and also that the gravity fill hatch door must be opened and filled by a suitable hose or container. Can't find that hatch on my coach, so still looking for the answer.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #4
Sudsy

Default No Gravity Fill

My Class A coach doesn't have a gravity fill for the fresh water tank. Just a selector valve to redirect the water to the tank.

Sudsy
Old 10-04-2018, 11:10 AM   #5
heetseeker

Have a call into the GS company and will ask for a schematic of the water/plumbing/valves for the larger coaches with the selector valves. I had a few questions myself on filling and specifically the location of the check valves and their failure indications.

Cheers
Old 10-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Have a call into the GS company and will ask for a schematic of the water/plumbing/valves for the larger coaches with the selector valves. I had a few questions myself on filling and specifically the location of the check valves and their failure indications.

Cheers

I actually feel like I'm a friend of Millie Birchfield. She is the Class A lady at GS. My coach is not as complicated as the pusher coaches but more complex than the Travel Trailers. I never thought to ask her about plumbing diagrams. She sent me all the labels for the circuit breaker panels and relays. That has been a life saver for troubleshooting. I can actually say that after I iron out a small issue with the furnace my coach will be 100% up.

Sudsy
Old 10-05-2018, 07:57 AM   #7
jd625

I've been watching this thread to learn, but couldn't chime in because we do have a gravity fill. I did find this forum post and wonder if it applies.....

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/water...eam-97239.html
jd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd625 View Post
I've been watching this thread to learn, but couldn't chime in because we do have a gravity fill. I did find this forum post and wonder if it applies.....

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/water...eam-97239.html

I read over those post. Yes the pressure fill is the only way. I have figured out now that if I just turn on the water pump and when the tank is full turn the valve to City Water and turn off the water feed pressure then turn on the outdoor shower the siphon stops right away. I will just do it that way. Sure have rinsed that tank out though!

Thanks for the link.

Sudsy
Old 10-07-2018, 11:32 AM   #9
nemo45

Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45

I put a valve on that overflow line. When water started coming out I shut it off and and then closed the valve on the overflow. You MUST open the valve on the overflow before you try and fill it again.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #10
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo45 View Post
I put a valve on that overflow line. When water started coming out I shut it off and and then closed the valve on the overflow. You MUST open the valve on the overflow before you try and fill it again.

What kind of camper do you have?

Sudsy
Old 10-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #11
nemo45

Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45

I had a Georgetown at the time, but it filled like yours and that type tended to siphon the water out after filling until it was about half full. Now I have a Gulfstream TourMaster that has an outside filler.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #12
Sudsy

Default Post #8

As described in Post #8 I have figured out a method. Now that I know I was able to leave it sitting for a week with no loss of a full tank.

Sudsy