Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
BigGreenTurtle

Default 2006 Frindship atrium

Hi, We are looking at a 2006 Friendship. Are there any known problems with them?
I have noticed that GS in not highly thought of. I am thinking that is poor svce from the mfr. Since this is probably out of Factory Warranty is that issued resolved by getting e xtended warranty svce? Parts that I can think of would come from Dometic/norcold atwood freighliner cummins etc. but maybe it is something else? Why would I need the mfr? We are new at this, can you tell.
How long would one expect a life span of a GS Friendship?
Those of you who own them, I understand that the atrium can be quite hot or cold. The rv that we are looking at has aqua hot heat. What about condensation? with all those windows???? But those of us who need light .....
Thanks
Dianne
BigGreenTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: 2006 Frindship atrium

Hard to say how long coaches last. Depends on how it was cared for and how the engine was maintained. Diesel engines usually will last 3 to 5 hundred thousand miles before they need an over haul. And the house part will also last a long time if you take care of it. You will have to do some up keep, like upholstery when it starts to wear out, tire changes every five years, batteries every five years average.

You are right that Gulf Stream has earned a bad reputation with customer service, and that has hurt them. But they manufacture coaches that are just like any other manufacturer. Some are very good coaches and then you get a lemon every so often. But that happens with all companies. I have had mine now for eight years and have had very few problems. Biggest problem I had was a fuel pump went out on the engine. Luckily I had extended warranty. Other then that the coach still looks like the day I bought it new. The paint job has held up really good, but I do wax it which helps to preserve the paint colors.

The Atrium does have a lot of big windows which a lot of people like, but then their are some like me that don't like them because it seems to me that the coach would be hot in the summer and cold in the winter. But that is just me, maybe the windows are double pane like storm windows on a stick house and will not effect the temperature inside the coach.

They are a good looking coach and I only have heard of one complain from an owner and that was in Klamath, Ca. He complained that it leaked and was having problems stopping the leaks. But that can happen to any coach if a owner does not get on top at least once a year to check the roof for cracks on the chalking.
Good luck on what ever you decide.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote