Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Class A
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-16-2024, 12:15 PM   #1
Vfontan

Default Hot to the touch suburban water heater rocker switch

2007 Tour Master T40C

The electric side of the Suburban water heater stopped working, diagnosed a bad rocker switch (the one on the water heater). When replacing it I noticed the old one seemed deformed by high heat. After connecting the new rocker switch I turned the water heater on to make sure it was functioning, and it was. When I grabbed the rocker switch to place it back in its slot I noticed it was hot, 111° according to my IR thermometer after about 5 minutes of being turned on.
I also noticed the red light on the inside switch flickers when on even after checking the wire connections to the inside switch were good.

I assume a hot switch is not normal and is the cause of the old switch failing.

What would cause the switch to overheat?

FYI, I only turn the water heater on about 30 minutes a day. The propane side works so I am not without hot water.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:32 PM   #2
Bike Dr

Hello

Typically heating of the switch could be due to loose connections. Crimp Spade connectors can be a problem. Next a cheap made switch if it's not making a good solid connection internally will create heat also make sure the switch is the correct rating. You also mentioned a light in the switch some illuminated switches will be warm to the touch depending on the style of bulb or led. If the switch is blinking as you mentioned, that would tend to make me want to replace that switch again to a better quality switch.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!! LIVING IT!!!!

2005 41'4 Atrium SE CAT 8410
2017 20' Diamond closed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 Mini Cooper
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 04:21 PM   #3
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

The switch heat can either come from the switch contacts, or loose push on connectors, or (best case)= simple heat from the heater. If the small, cheap rocker switches, a lot of those imports have a high failure rate when new; my Amazon had 3/12 bad in light switches. But also need to verify switch RATED for 120vac?