Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Gulf Stream Owners | Member Exchange > Gulf Stream Service
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
nwcanopies

Default What should I expect and what do you recommend? New owner

Hi, New Gulf Stream Super C owner here. Picked up a 2010 SuperMax 36' Class C.

Was watching and going to buy the one on ebay down in Kentuky and decided to research the coach a little more. (I didn't know about this site, wish I did).

Decided to visit the website and call GulfStream and learn about this unique coach.

Things I loved about the brochure.
1. It was diesel
2. It boasted up to 16mpg
3. It had bunks (I have 4 Kids) Perfect!
4. It was a 2009 Model, but being sold as new
5. It was set up to tow 10,000lbs

The one In Kentuky had about 1500 miles on it IIRC. Bought the plane ticket and then decided to call GulfStream and talk to them about the coach.

Steve - Says that there are only about 20 of them out there and they no longer make them. I couldn't get a definite answer out of him why they stopped, but he said due to the market (which is believable).

Steve - Says I have one of these down In Salt Lake City and its actually a 2010 that I can sell you. He named the price and it was $5,000 more than the 2009 Model so its really a no brainer.

We were told the coach was new and that it only needed an awning replaced and the rear molding looked creased slightly so it would need to be replaced as well.

I loaded up my family of 5 (at the time) and we drove Seattle to SLC in 14 hours on Friday night. (4pm to 6am)

We wait another 3 hours till the dealer opens.

We see the coach and right away notice a c clamp on one of the panels. They glued the sheet metal back to the frame the night before. Ok, not a show stopper but what else is there?

2. Noticed that there are scrapes on the plastic windows (like it was drivin off road)... rest of coach washed and clean, no pinstripse
3. Noticed a crack in the ac vent up top
4. No battery disconnect. It is MIA
5. The awning being off was expected... it covers the rear bunks and bedroom slide
6. When opening the slide, there is a rip in the Linoleum where it slides
7. Some of the shades were off their tracks for the windows
8. The backup camera was not working
9. The carpets were stained/dirty in some areas
10. Table was chiped

Steve needed to go through a dealer to sell the coach to me. It was a buy back from a dealership in SLC that went belly up so they were just a Place to buy. In reality I purchased this coach straight from gulfstream.

The Dealer and I went over the coach and wrote everything that needed address and we got Shane on the phone.

He agreed to
A. Patch the Linoleum
B. Fix awning
C. Fix backup camera
D. Fix siding strip
E. Put the Battery disconnect in
F. Put Shades back on their tracks
G. Replace table

So we purchase the coach and a 70,000 mile warranty against defects in mechanical etc through a company called "The Choice" Just in case.

300 Miles later that weekend, we are loving the coach, how it drives, and just driving a cummins/Aisin. (I could only get 11mpg at 60mph steady) Nothing better or even close to 16 as the brochure stated.

Insert Northwestern downpoar. Drip, drip, drip through the passengar visor then a stream. I video it with my phone. Dissapointment. I checked the caulking when I got home, they missed the drivers side under the loft. I hope mold doesn't grow in there.

When I get back to Seattle (that same weekend) I call and email Steve. He said he would take care of that.

__________________________________________________ __

Fast forward, now its been a Month. I sourced a Local RV Service place who really doesn't want my business... or so I feel treated this way. I get the line that "he makes nothing on this". "He is just helping me and gulfstream out". Is this normal? Do RV places not want repeat business from providing good service?

He works With Gulfstream and no one is comunicating with me. Gulfstream only sends 2 parts. The table is chipped and I have yet to confirm with gulfstream, but my service stated that gulfstream said thats the last one... so make it work. ???? really???? Today I put an email into Gulstream likely after hours and left a voicemail as well. I'm hoping to hear from Steve tomorrow and hope he makes that right.

So far I'm not impressed. When buying new shouldn't you get something that is new? Not with may different issues. And shouldn't GS take care of their customers? I bend over backwards for my customers and they keep coming back for my products. Seems like a business model that does very well for me. But I guess I shouldn't expect the same from GS.

Don't get me wrong, they are replacing or fixing most of the things that were broke. Not all but most. For that I'm happy (if it actually gets done). But it was all talk and no backbone if you ask me. After I purchased the coach, I've only been treated like they are doing me a favor by sellin the coach AND fixing this stuff that should be new. That its not their duty or obligation.

I think the coach was misrepresented. It was sold to me as new with 1700 miles on it but seems it was used and abused by perhaps the dealer that went under? I drove 800 miles with 3 kids under 6 to purchase what I think was misrepresented.

Don't get me wrong. I'm trying not to rant and keep it unemotional. I could have backed out when I got there leaving that dealer in a bind, but I lived up to my end of the deal and purchased this coach. I guess I'm just curious from your experiences "if GS will live up to their end of the deal"?

To be continued......

__________________________________________________ ____

Fast forward - We really like the coach, really like how GS took care of us and only hype them up as a good manufacturer

or...

Hopefully not or...
nwcanopies is offline   Reply With Quote