Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Rettaray

Default 95 Tourmaster charging system

My question is: I have 4 each 6 volt batts as house batts. I have 2 each 12 volt batts for starter. My coach has a converter charger (no inverter, yet). My alternator charges only the starter batts. My house Batts are charged either by on board genset or shoreline hookup. The house are the starter batt for the genset. If I run house batts down I can't crank genset to recharge them. Does this sound like a lodgical set up? I bought the coach used and wonder how it should have come from the manuf. Any anyone knows and has any suggestions on how I should set it up.
Thanks
Ray (newbee)
Rettaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
RJ82much

If you run the house batteries down, and don't have a source of 120 volts ac for shore power, then start your motor home engine. After a few moments for the engine alternator to replenish the charge in the starter batteries, depress & hold the "auxiliary" switch (often a picture of a battery) for several minutes at least. This switch is one of many on your dashboard. It will allow the engine alternator to charge the house battery. After a few minutes, (patience please), while holding the "auxiliary" depressed, also go thru the procedure to start your house genset. It should turn over & fire up.

Once the genset is running, release the "auxiliary" switch - it's job is done & the genset will complete the house battery recharge.

This works the otherway as well. If you discharge the engine batteries, get your genset running & use the "auxiliary" switch to renew the engine battery charge.

"They" warn not to overdo the practice however, because you are paralleling different kinds of batteries which could overstress one or the other. But for emergency recharges or starts it's OK - the switch is included for a reason!

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Rettaray

Default Elusive Aux Button

Thanks for the reply RJ82much. I have not found that aux. buton on my coach yet. I was surprised because other coaches I've owned all had one but I can't find it. Hmmm wonder if GS didn't put them on in 1995. Wish another 95 GS tourmaster owner could also chime in and share wheather or not he found one. I'll keep looking.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
rdlamb

Hi Rett:
The older Tourmaster was nice, Spartan chassis, held up well. From your description, I assume you do dry camping, where your house batteries are drained?
Also, as I recall, the old Tourmaster did not have the aux switch to interconnect the batteries for emergency starting. Sounds like they should have, but I recall my friend carried jumper cables that we hooked up on one occasion to start the beast, jumping from coach battery to engine.
RJ is very correct, do this more than once and risk loosing the coach batteries. The engine requires a great gulp of electricity to start and the slow trickle deep cycle batteries burn out trying to provide this.
Also, I would not try to put in a switch, or isolator, or other run around to get an Aux switch.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Rettaray

Default 95 tourmaster

Thanks for the input rdlamb. I think you're right---no aux button. However I think you have solved my problem. Can't believe I could't see the obvious. I can use jumper cables to start the genset from the starter batts. It's just a "poor mans aux button". You made my day! Thanks a billion.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
Rettaray

Default isolator relay found

I have found an isolator relay type switch in the house battery compartment. It has a 12v source to one side with a cable dangling that has a female connector. The other side has a 12v source with a cable dangle with a male connector that will connect the female thereby bypassing this relay. The relay clicks when I switch on the ignition. Could it be I found my aux switch in for of plugging the cables together. I can plug them and all seems fine. How can I check to see if this is couple house and coach together?
Old 12-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
Rettaray

Default not aux switch

Upon closer examination it appears these cables are nothing more than a bypass of the ignition 'noid so that one might trouble shoot relays etc with out running back and forth to the cockpit.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:27 AM   #8
Midniteoyl

Rewire the gensets starter and starter relay to your starter batt... no way it should be on the house batts.

'89 Sun Vista Hi-Rise
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:02 AM   #9
GSTourmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rettaray View Post
Thanks for the input rdlamb. I think you're right---no aux button. However I think you have solved my problem. Can't believe I could't see the obvious. I can use jumper cables to start the genset from the starter batts. It's just a "poor mans aux button". You made my day! Thanks a billion.
For what its worth, our 94 Tourmaster has the "battery switch" to allow override needed. It is on the upper row of dash switches, with "battery" symbol on it. Just a thought. In what GS laughingly called an owners manual, they pointed out the dash has "extra" switches and switch positions, in case owner wanted (or needed ) to add additional functions. Like maybe using their coach!
GSTourmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
Chuck v

On the later TourMaster coaches like mine with the residential refrigerators there are actually three sets of batteries -- the chassis batteries to start the diesel engine, the 'house' batteries to run the 12 volt lighting and low voltage appliances, and the inverter batteries that power the 110 volt inverter for the fridge, microwave, large TV, etc. in the absence of shore power (or generator power.) These inverter batteries are also used to start the generator. The inverter battery bank is a set of 4 each 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series/parallel to make a high capacity 12 volt source for the inverter. When the inverter has either generator power or shore power available, it charges the inverter battery bank.

The chassis batteries (two 12 volt diesel starting batteries in parallel) are charged by the engine driven alternator. I have also provided a float charger that keeps them up if connected to shore power for long periods where the coach is not driven.

The house batteries ( another pair of 12 volt batteries in parallel) are charged by the 12 volt converter under the bed...this is the typical RV style 12 volt converter that both charges the house batteries and provides 12 volts to the lighting and low voltage accessories when connected to shore power, or running on the generator.

Keep your batteries clean, inspected and properly watered and you will get years of service out of them. I live aboard my coach and have had only normal maintenance issues, but they do need regular checking on their condition. The life expectancy of a lead acid battery is highly reduced by letting it get fully discharged or having the electrolyte level below the tops of the plates.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote