Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
Sudsy

Default Refrigerator Conversion to residential

Has anyone replaced a Dometic Side by Side refrigerator with a residential unit? Can anyone point me to a thread that exist on the subject. I tried a search here but they never seem to work for me. My unit dimensions are

34"W x 27" D x 60" H

I have a blank panel over the fridge that could add to height. I won't know if there is space available there or not until the unit is removed.

The fridge is on top of the furnace so there is no space to go down.

This is all in my 05 Sun Voyager..

Who knows, maybe the Dometic can be fixed.

Sudsy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-06-04 16.33.31.jpg (100.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-05-2019, 07:00 AM   #2
Restorium

http://www.gsowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3946
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:06 AM   #3
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post

Thanks

I hopefully can get one in my drivers door.

Sudsy
Old 06-09-2019, 12:10 PM   #4
Dennis4809

I swapped our Dometic side by side for a Samsung RF18. After removing the doors from both refers, they fit through the entry door with ease. Did remove the pass seat. I was able to use the space under the Dometic as it was a small storage area. Works well as the Samsung then sets on the floor. Top is a little lower than the original so used the trim removed below to fill in the top space. To secure the Samsung, I installed a 2X4 header over the new refer then used an industrial adhesive to attach a 1inch angle aluminum strip to the top of the refer. Once in place, used a couple screws to secure the angle aluminum to the header. Also removed the front rollers from the Samsung and predrilled a hole at an angle so that once in place, secured the bottom of the Samsung to the floor using a couple long screws. Hasn’t moved after about 8K miles.

FYI, we dry camped a fair amount with 4 house batteries. Killed the generator at 9-10 PM and by 8-9 Am, batteries were still at 12.5 - 12.7 vdc.

Dennis
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #5
Sudsy

Thanks Dennis;

I don't think the Samsung will work for me. My furnace is right under the fridge. I have a panel over the fridge that I hope covers empty space. The height on the Samsung is 69+ and I don't think I have that. I have found a Whirlpool that is only 65+ inches and I think I can get it in the door.

I haven't heard from the shop that has the coach now to see if the Domitic is dead.

Sudsy
Old 06-09-2019, 06:54 PM   #6
UAHaerospace

replaced our campers 43" Dometic RM2551 rv fridge for a 60" residential 120v 'apartment model' found at BestBuy(I've seen them also at Sams and maybe even HD and Lowes)...

I found that the rv fridge is the same depth, but the wasted space above the typical rv fridge is due to the requirement for the propane 'stack vent' to run up and out the fridge roof vent. This allowed me MUCH more height for a regular fridge, which is also the same depth and width as the rv model, but MUCH more space inside the fridge(two door, freezer on top)... I used the same 120v plug outlet that the rv fridge was using, capped off the propane line with a 'plug', and taped off the pos/neg 12v lines after cutting them from the rv fridge's 12v connection point. I could even use these 12v lines to power another 12v device or appliance, if ever needed.

Since our camper is always 'plugged in', there's no need to hassle with the 'smallish' rv fridge, and there's plenty of space for a more 'regular' sized fridge.... nice.
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
gwirth

Doesn’t look like you have enough room. I converted my coach using a Hier four door unit. Had to do cabinet work. Your problem is the furnace. I still have my Dometic refer that I removed. Works great if you are interested. Good luck.
gwirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #8
Sudsy

Default Found a Couple units

I have found two fridges that will work for me. Both are side by side stainless with door ice/water.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpoo...SDHZ/302786603

and

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Amana-21...5GRS/304775091

I ordered the Whirlpool because I liked the door dispenser more. The Amana has a problem with the design of the dispenser.

Both are a little over 66 inches overall and the box is actually 65.2 inches tall. The Whirlpool is a little narrower but that didn't matter to me.

Sudsy
Old 08-05-2019, 09:07 PM   #9
Johnny Boy

I did it to my 078 Crescendo here is the link http://www.gsowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6444
Johnny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #10
Todd214

Can you send pictures of the completed project I would like to see this conversion may need to do mine. Thanks
Todd214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:27 PM   #11
Sudsy

Default Fridge Conversion

Well it's in there and working like a charm. We ran into the gas line for the old RV fridge and looked at what it would take to remove the copper line from the area. my furnace is directly below the fridge and the water heater below that. It can be done but it hasn't been done yet. It is not an easy job. Maybe at the end of the season. We are about to take our first trip with it and we will see how it works out. We are both big people. Moving the gas line and the water line would allow me to push the fridge back another two inches for a perfect fit. Wish I had taken pictures and I will the next time I'm in there.

Sorry the pictures are sideways.

Sudsy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fridge (4).jpg (125.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg fridge (3).jpg (113.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg fridge (2).jpg (127.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #12
Todd214

Looks good like to hear how it works out for you on the trip. Safe Travels.. TW
Ps. Thanks for the photos..
Todd214 is offline   Reply With Quote