Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #1
BT5210

Default Hey-lam, new 2020 bt cruiser 5210

JUST DROVE HOME FROM SO-CAL TO VEGAS...what a trip....
BT5210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #2
BT5210

one thing I found strange about the gulfstream site, they do not post wheel base, GCWR, or fuel tank size...sseems no one knows the answers.... do they have 40 gal tanks???I did find out the hard way, I bought on line... the wheel base is only 138''
Old 08-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #3
BT5210

another thing, there is nothing posted in the coach for gross combined weight.... but it comes with a 7500lb hitch and brake controller..
Old 08-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #4
BT5210

also, there is not the norm. tire pressure wall sticker.... the only one is the cutaway from ford... tire pressure way wrong....

I drove to get it in my fiat 500 toad, and towed it back to vegas…. white knuckle 55mph max ride home...
Old 08-10-2019, 06:52 PM   #5
BT5210

wwhen I got home I was ready to take it back,... I bought it from beach cities rv ...they agreed to take it back,... some ting wong… great guy (Gavin) to deal with...so before heading out,... I checked the tire pressure...this is weird... 78 lbs in the front, and only 65psi in the rear....that can't be right????? so I lowered the pressure to 65 psi and headed out to get fuel....whole different coach...actually, very drive able.... so while gassing up, I decided.... I'm gonna keep it...the next ting I did.... I shortened the front springs... there where so long that the the front had about 1.5 positive camber...got that done....80 mph no habds on the wheel , trucks passing does nothing....so of to the truck stop to get weighed...only 3000 lbs on the front axel, 6880 on the rear...with a total of 9880 lbs...
Old 08-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #6
BT5210

so while driving,... found a new problem.... this coach has the frame less windows...it's ok on the pass, side as the awning shield the side of the window... but on the dr. side... once traveling above 50 mph.... the wind coming down the side blows the side seal open.... now you have 50 mph wind coming in the coach.... the glass is too long and tooo thin so it just bows out in the middle... pretty sure its gonna end up snapping the glass
Old 08-10-2019, 07:01 PM   #7
BT5210

I ordered new aluminum wheels and upped the tires to 215-85-16's,they're an inch taller, that'll get me another 1/2 ' bottom clearance in the rear..also, The shortened front springs
picked up about 1 1/2'' to the bottom of the hitch... the hitch drags everywhere in stock form
Old 08-11-2019, 08:19 AM   #8
BT5210

anyone else here have a 210???
Old 08-12-2019, 07:44 AM   #9
CaryL

Hi BT5210. We have a 2018 BT5245.

I assume you have downloaded the overall Motorhome Owner's manual from the Gulf Stream website. On page 11 there are labels for the tire pressures and weight info. Also on our BT pasted inside one of the upper kitchen cabinets by the walk-in door is a sticker with other techinical and appliance information. Yours maybe in a different location since your layout is different.

Note that the rear dual wheels should be inflated to a lower pressure than the single front wheels. The exact amount may be different by model, I don't know.

We cruise between 60 and 65 mpg. We are retired so we have the time, it gives better gas mileage, really is less stressful, and is safer for moving a 6-ton box down the road.

It sounds like you are much more mechanically knowledgable than we are and have already made many performance improvements. I look forward to hearing more as you continue.

We have been working on the inside to make it more convenent and add storage space in various areas.

Welcome to the user forum and best wishes!
Cary Lawson
CaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:41 PM   #10
BT5210

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryL View Post

I assume you have downloaded the overall Motorhome Owner's manual from the Gulf Stream website. On page 11 there are labels for the tire pressures and weight info. Also on our BT pasted inside one of the upper kitchen cabinets by the walk-in door is a sticker with other techinical and appliance information. Yours maybe in a different location since your layout is different.

Note that the rear dual wheels should be inflated to a lower pressure than the single front wheels. The exact amount may be different by model, I don't know.

We cruise between 60 and 65 mpg. We are retired so we have the time, it gives better gas mileage, really is less stressful, and is safer for moving a 6-ton box down the road.

It sounds like you are much more mechanically knowledgable than we are and have already made many performance improvements. I look forward to hearing more as you continue.

We have been working on the inside to make it more convenent and add storage space in various areas.

Cary Lawson
thanks for the reply, I usually drive about 62 mph as I tow the fiat 500,...but,... just to see after the shorter front springs I ran it up to 80...all the info on my coach is just the unloaded cutaway,, I took my coach out to get it weighted... only 3000 lbs front,.. 6880 rear, so 9880lbs total.. that was just me, 180lbs, and all tanks full...one of my problems was it would bounce the front wheels off the ground... and real loose on the front end...
Old 08-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #11
BT5210

here's with the front lowered
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04849.jpg (179.2 KB, 90 views)
Old 08-13-2019, 06:13 AM   #12
BT5210

Quote:

Cary Lawson
thanks again for posting...I had found the wallsticker in the cabinet above the sink..it's usually in the wardrobe, but when I read it I missed the GCWR,.. I pulled the sticker and put it on the wardrobe door inside....with better light... and reader glasses, I found the GCWR..it's 17,500..some one pulled the weight spec sticker off the hitch, pretty sure they are doing that at the factory as, I dougbt you can put much tongue weight on the 5210 with out the front wheels coming off the ground...just setting empty there is a huge amount of positive camber on the front wheels, with the split I beam that told me the front was way over sprung...and also confirmed the loose feeling steering...another find....sway bars....I ordered new ones from helwig...1 3/8'' front, and 1 1/2'' rear.. stock they are only 7/8'' front, and 1'' rear... I also ordered sumo solo 's...this will help with tongue weight to pull my boat ( 24' tri toon)...I've had very good results with sumo's...I went with the stiffest 54's for the rear...and softest 40's for the front..
Old 08-13-2019, 06:22 AM   #13
BT5210

here's a pic of the bt when I brought it home...look at the gap from top of tire , to the fender
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04846.jpg (197.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 08-13-2019, 06:30 AM   #14
BT5210

as it is right now, I have a ton of variables to deal with,... all of which will work out in the end... but gonna take adjusting..might have to do some more height adjusting on the front springs,..but, I have to wait for the sumo's ...although sumo's won't up the GVWR,,,, It will allow more tongue weight …..being the wheel base is so short,..you have to be very careful with set up or you could end up in the ditch wheels up...all this could be corrected with a spring bar hitch, but, they don't work on boat trailers with surge brakes..
Old 08-13-2019, 06:41 AM   #15
BT5210

tire pressure's...
there is only one way to proper set tire pressures,..you can use the factory sticker, or the info on the side wall of the tire to get a base....you have to load the coach as you would normal,.. and go weight it...you have to have axel weights, front and back..easy to do at any truck stop...there are all kinds of tests to do,... chalk tests and such....but a trained eye works...most all truck tires have an inflation table... add about 10%/20% to weight to get proper inflation..over inflation will wear out the center of the tire, and under will break down the side walls, over heat tire, and wear out the outer edge..

if you are getting tire walk, make sure you run about 1000 miles...tires have to take a set when new..and some times require a little more air...
Old 08-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #16
CaryL

You have a nice coach. Thanks for the pointers on tires, leaf springs and sway bars. One nice thing about a shorter wheel base is it is easier to drive around and easier to find a level spot when you park for the night.

When you are settled on your refinements it would be especially helpful if you summarize what improvements where the best.
Cheers, Cary
CaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #17
BT5210

Quote:
You have a nice coach. Thanks for the pointers on tires, leaf springs and sway bars. One nice thing about a shorter wheel base is it is easier to drive around and easier to find a level spot when you park for the night.

When you are settled on your refinements it would be especially helpful if you summarize what improvements where the best.
Cheers, Cary
the major difference so far was the front springs...2'' shorter in the front made all the difference...might be able to just go to E250. or even E150 springs..the spring rate on the E350 is way too much... as weighed. the coach only weighs 3000 lbs on the front axel... have to do more research to be able to get the right part number...if you go to a smaller wire size,... the bigger sway bar would make them work..
Old 08-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #18
BT5210

another thing I ordered, https://www.supersprings.com/shop/ssa34/ the rear helper spring...adds 1900 lbs to spring load, and should raise the rear about 1.5'' these also reduce side sway, and add the needed tongue weight rating...
Old 08-19-2019, 07:33 AM   #19
BT5210

I got the tires and wheels on, went with 215-85-16s.... they are about an inch and a quarter taller.... they sure made it ride nice..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04864.jpg (146.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 08-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #20
BT5210

I hooked my pontoon to the rv...squatted the rear 1"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04865.jpg (161.7 KB, 38 views)