Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
jmj437

Default Electric step problem.............I think

Recently purchased a 2004 GS BT cruiser model 5270B. It has a electric step that at one time worked OK. Now the step open when I open the side door and stays out when I close the door. At one time, the step would come out all the time and would only close once I started the units engine and put it in gear. Then the step would automaticly close by its self.
Is there a sequence on how this step is suppose to operate or it there something wrong with it. What position is the step switch suppose to be in and does the floor switch have to be on to operated this step?

Thanks in advance...................
jmj437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
amman1725

Default Step

On my endura, the step comes out every time you open the door if the switch is in the "on" position; If the switch is in the off position which is how you keep the step out even if the door is closed and you start the coach, the step will come in for safety;

I'd look under the step and look at the sensor and see if a wire is loose or if its corroded;
Old 02-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
larrybell

Default Door Step

I had a similar problem this fall. In fact, I was getting ready to take a trip, and I removed the step so that it would not be damaged. After returning from the trip, I noticed that the brackets for the steps were now moving. The only thing that I can figure out is that I did not lubricate them as well as I thought, and the movement of the RV loosened the brackets so that they could move.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
RayChez1

You have a step switch that will allow you to leave the steps in the extended position or retracted position. If the switch is on it will retract every time you open and close the door, but if you have the switch on the off position it will either stay out when the door is open OR you can get it to stay retracted or in with the door open. That is a feature so incase you are too close to a wall and you don't want the steps to hit the wall, then you can open the door without the steps extending out. Hope I didn't confuse you more. Hope this helps.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
jmj437

Ray,
Are you referring to the switch that is located at the bottom of the door area on the left side at you enter the unit? Its next ( at least on my unit) to the floor switch.

It operates OK when the switch is turned on. Open the door and the step extends, close the door and the step retracks but when I turn off the switch and go to drive the unit the step does not retract automaticly like it did when I purchased the unit.

I guess I will have to crawl under it and check out the wiring, maybe be some corrosion on the connectors some where.

JJ
jmj437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
RayChez1

The step is suppose to retract every time you turn the key to start the coach. But if the engine is turned off THEN you can play with the step to leave it extended or retracted.
But NO, it should not be extended once the engine is started. Mine will retract right away.
Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. For me it is hard to tell because these coaches have so many electrical components.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
agood214

Default Re: Electric step problem.............I think

When my step acted up - it turned out to be the magnetic strip contact sensor that was stuck on by GS with double sticky tape....
My mechanic replaced it and drilled it so that it's in a cutout on the doorjamb and put screws to make sure the other part of the contact sensor on the door did not move...
Good luck..
agood214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:12 AM   #8
[email protected]

When I purchased my 2004 BT Cruiser last year the step was drooping on the left side and did not fully retract. No doubt from an over weight person the shaft underneath connecting the two sides was twisted. To fix I had to grind off the weld on the left side, rise it level and then reweld it. So it would not happen again I bolted a small scissor jack under the bottom step. Easy to crank down on uneven ground when parked. Two things. I bolted the jack bottom up. Also I welded a socket on the screw end to facilitate the use of a socket crank. Works great.
nisi1@live.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #9
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
The step is suppose to retract every time you turn the key to start the coach. But if the engine is turned off THEN you can play with the step to leave it extended or retracted.
But NO, it should not be extended once the engine is started. Mine will retract right away.
Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. For me it is hard to tell because these coaches have so many electrical components.
They don't all retract when you turn on the key. Mine doesn't.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:16 AM   #10
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
When I purchased my 2004 BT Cruiser last year the step was drooping on the left side and did not fully retract. No doubt from an over weight person the shaft underneath connecting the two sides was twisted. To fix I had to grind off the weld on the left side, rise it level and then reweld it. So it would not happen again I bolted a small scissor jack under the bottom step. Easy to crank down on uneven ground when parked. Two things. I bolted the jack bottom up. Also I welded a socket on the screw end to facilitate the use of a socket crank. Works great.
Overweight person? Must have been a whale!

Usually the stairs get messed up when you leave them out (malfunction) and they smack into something.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #11
Chuck v

The newer steps have the ignition override that retracts the steps...

The new Control Units are equipped with an ignition override system designed to prevent the
vehicle from being driven with the step in the extended position. When the step is locked in the
extended position (OVERRIDE SWITCH IS IN THE ‘ON’ POSITION), the door is closed, and the
ignition is turned on, the ignition override system will engage and the step will automatically
retract.

The below attachment is the complete document showing model numbers:

Chuck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee Electric Step Improvements.pdf (389.9 KB, 31 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:56 PM   #12
Microguy

Ours had a problem also, it looked like the control unit or the motor. I replaced the control unit, still no good. Tried replacing the motor, and found out it was just jammed up. They stop operation when the control unit senses too much current in the motor. So, if your steps are jammed, rusted etc... it could cause wonky operation.
Microguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:22 PM   #13
Chuck v

Microguy,

I found that my motor would jam up because the axle/pilot shaft of the gear in the housing was just a bit too short and would work its way into a position that allowed that gear to tilt just enough to bind.

Here is a thread from this site where I did all my troubleshooting on my steps and found this root cause (see the last entry in the thread, post#6.) Earlier I had thought like many others that the motor brushes were getting hung up and making poor contact and causing the steps to not move.

http://www.gsowners.com/forums/showt...=electric+step

Your issue might be any of these or something entirely different, but thought I would chime in with my findings.

Chuck

Old 05-25-2019, 07:08 AM   #14
Restorium

I put a manual switch on mine. Right near the door. Been happy ever since. No more wondering what the heck is going on with the crazy auto step. Now I know what it's supposed to be doing because I'm manually telling it what to do.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:01 PM   #15
Fredeman

Default Kwikee Replacement Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
I put a manual switch on mine. Right near the door. Been happy ever since. No more wondering what the heck is going on with the crazy auto step. Now I know what it's supposed to be doing because I'm manually telling it what to do.
Could you let us know what switch you used and any other information about the replacement you would care to provide?

Our steps have been very intermittent. They work perfectly at home and fail when we get to our campsite. This has happened in the last 2 trips. I have lubed everything. I have spray contact cleaner on all connections. It got stuck in the out position during our previous trip. I have had enough of automatic.

Thank you in advance.
Fredeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:39 AM   #16
cajun

if you have a manual sw is it wired for in and out
by reversing polarity ?
cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #17
Fredeman

Default Electric Step Problem- Manual Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun View Post
if you have a manual sw is it wired for in and out
by reversing polarity ?
Yes, I installed a 12V - DC Motor Polarity Reversing Rocker 3 Position Momentary automatic reset Switch. Now I decide when the step goes in or out. I think that the original problem was a faulty electrical connection, but with this installation, I used a different electrical source. I have included a link for the switch that I used.

20 AMP 12V - DC Motor Polarity Reversing Rocker 3 Position Momentary automatic reset Switch
Fredeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:15 AM   #18
cajun

I was concerned about limits. Not sure what controls the limit of travel as is now. I will just have to watch it when running it if I put one in. Tried oil, new motor, and what I use now a plastic rod and tap on it till it works. ( bad spot on commontator ??) may be.
thanks for reply
Old 10-05-2020, 09:52 AM   #19
Chuck v

Cajun,

The step is moved my a small motor that is also used in some power door windows for larger automobiles. They do not have limit switches as such but rather the controller senses the current being drawn and shuts off when the motor stalls at the end of the mechanical travel. This also allow a safety feature of sorts when the window (or the steps) meet an obstruction in the middle of the travel range...

You may have noticed that the steps binding mechanically or being stopped by an obstacle can cause the motor and therefore the motion to stop. If the controller is working correctly, the next time the steps are actuated they should travel in the other direction.

It is possible that the "added" switch that other members use is placed upstream of the controller module, so there would be no concern for any limit switches. If yo bypass the controller module, then you are on your own and can definitely burn out the motor. Use of a momentary switch will help. Please note that the step mechanism counts on the over-center link position at each end of the travel to ensure that the mechanism stays open or closed firmly...the gears in the motor will not by themselves support the loads of a person standing on the steps.

Chuck

Old 10-05-2020, 11:04 AM   #20
cajun

thanks Chuck I will take this in consideration will use a circuit assigned for it only because the door sw also turns step lights on and by disconnecting just the motor leads I will be only disconnecting the motor. I still hear a relay make with door sw so I would think it controls lights too. I think it also used to close when engine was started if this comes into effect I'll leave it alone and keep beating with my plastic rod.