Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Class A
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-21-2024, 08:46 PM   #21
Chuck v

Good luck with the discovery/inspection phase, and ask questions when you find any issues...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 09:14 PM   #22
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Relay or Solenoid Contacts do WELD themselves together sometimes, or solenoid plungers get stuck/ sticky. My slide 12vdc solenoids were sticking closed and tripping 12vdc breakers at battery; replacement cured issues. Old parts inspection revealed no welding issues, just sticky plungers.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:18 AM   #23
proost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
Good luck with the discovery/inspection phase, and ask questions when you find any issues...

Chuck
Hey Chuck - okay, I'm all fixed. Yep, the step-down 24V to 12V Victron Orion converters were toast. Something must've shorted and sent a surge to them and they were done. Just replaced both and wired them independently with separate 100A leads and we're back in business. The old converter under the bed, albeit inefficiently so, did the job while I waited for parts.

Here is how my 12V system was modified when my installer merged battery banks.
1. Ran one 12V positive lead from the bus energized from my new converters, directly to the front of the coach where the old 6V bank of inverter batteries were and connected it to a 12V starter battery for my generator. He kept the wiring attached to the Main IRD relay also on that battery post which is why that battery picked up the 12V load from the converters.
2. He disconnected all the 12V connections to the old inverter in the front driver's bay.
3. He ran the other 12V lead from the bus energized from my new converters, back to the driver's side battery bay and connected it to the 12V positive leads that were attached to the old coach batteries there. One of those leads connects to the input side of the Coach Disconnect solenoid thus energizing the 12V system from my new converters. Thankfully but likely unintentionally, he also attached the lead from the old converter which allowed me to use it.

I'm going to update the drawing to show folks how it all works. Unfortunately, the laptop that I was using died and we lost the drawings I had previously done. I have copies but will just need to redo them. Thanks again for all the help and wisdom on this one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV New 12V Distro System.pdf (655.7 KB, 2 views)
proost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:18 AM   #24
Chuck v

Phil,

Glad to hear it is all working now... Your drawing shows the original 80 amp converter connected to the gen start battery directly which is good for maintaining that pack...but I question how well the outputs of the two Victron converters tolerate that. You might want to check with the manufacturer about using multiple Victron and non-Victron power devices connected in parallel across a battery bank and other 12 volt loads -- worth investigating.

Chuck

Old 03-01-2024, 02:17 PM   #25
proost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
...but I question how well the outputs of the two Victron converters tolerate that.
Hi Chuck,

I concur and so before I energized the Victron converters, I threw the breaker for the converter on the 110V panel.

During my troubleshooting, I noticed that my chassis alternator was providing a charge voltage to that starter battery which is connected to everything else, so I'm curious how those converters handle that higher system voltage while we are on the road. It was 14.3 V when I measured last.
proost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 04:29 PM   #26
Chuck v

Worth asking the manufacturer what their recommended configuration is for vehicle versus fixed solar system use...