Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-06-2007, 12:06 AM   #1
Margot

Default Problems with new 5th wheel

Hello,
My husband and I were very excited when we bought our first big rig a 34' Yellowstone fth wheel. We too bought oursfrom Martinsburgs,Pa and were treated very well, staying over night and even a free dinner. Our problems started with our first trip that was to be a 3 months to Alaska.
I can not mention everyting that has gone wrong as it would take up way to much space.
1. The sky light leaked so bad that our bedroom floor was soaked
2. The cargo area became flooded due to a water hose coming off.
These 2 things happened thefirst day on the road. Took it to Napanne, IN and was told we needed an apt.and they were booked for 3 months. After my husband told them that we would want a new trailer as after 4 months of leaking the trailer would not be fit to live in. We would go to a local lawer and draw up papers. We were then sent to a very nice dealer that took care of the water problems along with a slid out seal that was replaced and they tryed to fix the closet shelf and coat rack but it still fell down.
3. The elec. cord pulled away form the plug and it was fixed in Calgery.
4. Toilet seal went bad as well as the sprayer Both were fixed in Ancroage.
5.A stress crack developed at bedroom slid out,was about 12 inches long.
Has been taken care of.
6. Leveling legs did not work right and one fell apart.
One was replaced and the other still does not work right

I will add contunue this at another time. Needless to say we are not happy with our new trailer.

Margot [/list]
Old 04-07-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
lockdoc

Margot-

Sorry to hear about all your issues.

I am wondering though if your first trip to ALASKA had anything to do with all of these issues or at least contributed to some of them. I have been listening to the forum members over at RV dot net for over a year talk about the perils of travel in Alaska with an RV. It sounds like this is hard on tires, shelves, dishes,wood joints,etc.
I am not trying to take any legitimacy away from your issues....but if your trip to rough roads had a lot to do with the problems, you might have a slightly different perspective.

Keep after the dealership and if necessary call Gulfstream service dept direct...they have been good in taking care of issues in the past when given the chance. The luxury towables division has a better record than the MH division from what I hear. Give it a chance....all rv's will have issues.
Powrachute Powered Parachute Rotax 912 100 HP
lockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
Coolbreeze

You are correct in venting as that is what needs to be done. Also you had your fair share of issues, above and beyond the call of duty as it were. It sounds like you got the one made at 3:00 on Friday afternoon. This stuff does happen to trailer and actually worse. On my old trailer the side and back actually seperated at the corner of the trailer plus it had it's other nit things as well. Somebody offered me up the following analogy. These things are homes on wheels. Homes constantly have to be fixed barring running them down the road so that implies even more fixing.

I would suggest to get it together though and go back to the dealer and fix everything that is required. Likely you got shook all the bugs out of it and it is upwards from here. I would also suggest having shocks added to your trailer it helps reduce the beating they take. If your going to Alaska they would help all the time anyways.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:31 AM   #4
LeonTrevino

It's not just Gulf Stream. I had a Fleetwood, and had to take it back to the factory so they could replace the entire floor. Then I bought a Jayco, and we had one problem after another with it as well.

Some of it is unavoidable due to the nature of pulling these things around on all kinds of roads, but I've found that most of the problems are caused by shoddy attention to detail when they put them together at the factories.

I hope they took care of you.