Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #1
PopPopK

Default Mounting a receiver bike rack

I want to mount a receiver type bike rack on the rear bumper of my trailer. Which is better to mount it weld or using the "U" bolts??
PopPopK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
CapsFanChris

Welding will always be better because it extends the contact surface across the unit. Better to weld a receiver to the frame than to the bumper. Ultimately depends on what you want to use it for. If you are not looking at much weight like a spare tire or two bike rack, u bolts are quick and easy but if you are looking to add a cargo tray and put a big generator on it, you want it welded to the frame.
CapsFanChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:12 PM   #3
Jbahr

Default Bike rack

I used a u-bolt mount with lock nuts a few times. But, on one trip the bike rack bounced enough and two of the nuts backed out and we dragged the bikes. I would make sure to double nut the u-bolts and check them often during the trip. You may want to tie off the bikes for extra protection. I have been carrying the bikes inside the camper ever since. Good luck on your choice.
Jbahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
Gingersdad

Default Be careful with bumper mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopPopK View Post
I want to mount a receiver type bike rack on the rear bumper of my trailer. Which is better to mount it weld or using the "U" bolts??
I was considering a bumper mount for my rig until I started reading all the war stories about bumper mounted carriers. It comes down to the bumper is not made strong enough to have a bike or two bouncing around on it and they do break. It makes sense. I'm sure you have seen how bikes bounce around back there. My rig now has a receiver I mount my carrier on. Good luck with your decession.
Gingersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #5
PopPopK

Default bike rack

I went with a mount and receiver type. the mount bolts to the bumper with two large u bolts with double lock nuts. The receiver goes in just like a trailer hitch, lock pin and the bike rack fastens right on to the receiver. very little sway or bounce, just enough play to not bind. Works great. Thanks for the info..
PopPopK
PopPopK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
Edward

I installed the Curt hitch. It has two welded steel plates that bolt around the bumper. We have 4 bikes on the rack without any issues. One modification is to cut the bolts so that they clear the back of the camper siding when mounting.

Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:12 AM   #7
Farmer Fran

I bought the Swagman RV Bumper Adapter, Black, 2-Inch from Amazon back in 2013. I put 4 full size bikes on it for 1000s of miles with no issues.

Make sure if you buy this style you mount it with the receiver on top of the bumper. I am pretty sure that is how they tell you.

Here is the link https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-RV-Ap...2-Inch&sr=8-10
Farmer Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:29 PM   #8
Edward

http://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Campe...rt/C19101.html
Edward is offline   Reply With Quote