Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Wild Irish lad

Default Onan Generator problem

I just joined this forum, but have had my old '89 GS Classic for several years. Last year I tried to start the generator, and it wouldn't start normally. While I hold the start button down (either on the dash or at the genset) it will fire right up and try to run, but as soon as I let go of the button it instantly quits firing and dies. I thought of the kill switch that keeps the genset from running if you are down to a quarter of a tank of gas or less, but my tank is 3/4 or more in gas level. Anyone know how to start tracking down the problem?
Old 09-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
jpf

Default Re: Onan Generator problem

it's usually not a kill switch, just that the tap into the fuel tank is higher than the engine fuel line.
I don't have any good advice except to say that my old rv did this and needed a carb rebuild. the ethanol mix gas leaves sticky deposits if it sits in the carb too long and might've gummed up the main jet.
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
Wild Irish lad

Thank you JPF. I was beginning to think no one was out there in cyberspace I thought of that, but that can't be it, as it will start right up and run as long as I keep the starter switch depressed. As soon as I let go, it just quits firing, like it's something electrical, but I have no idea which wires do what on these things. There are quite a few wires going to the genset, and I don't know what they do, and don't have a circuit diagram to even start to trace what the problem may be. It would help if I had a diagram, but everywhere I look on the web, they either don't have it, or they want to hook me in to their spam network before they'll let me download a manual.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
jpf

no real answers here I'm afraid. there's lots of discussion about onan issues on irv2 and rv.net.
if you're of a mind, use the starter on the genset and hold the carb open when you release the
switch. that MIGHT indicate whether or not it's electrical or the main jet.
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Wild Irish lad

Thanks jpf, I'll check those out.