Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-22-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
RJ82much

Default Amazing, just amazing...

Just when you're about to say; "I've had it!", GS Coach blows you away with superb service.

The dealer service dept tech inadvertently mixed up the wires on my dash-mounted "overdrive-off" switch. I had no indicator light AND the transmission wouldn't shift into 5th (overdrive). Note that the 4 wires are all black, & unidentified. Note also, that the switch does NOT appear on any GS wire schematics. I was "flying blind"

Phone calls to the dealer's service department (and specifically to the tech) and to Chevy Workhorse roadside assistance yielded NO help on, nor knowledge of, the proper connections. Workhorse roadside assistance was pleasant, but notified me that if I wasn't a dealer or service department, they couldn't reveal the information! They DID say that I should drive to any Workhorse repair facility & turn in the bill plus expenses to Gulf Stream Coach! The internet was of little help, other than a caution that the switch leads do route back to the TCM (transmission control module - not something you want to experiment on.

I had emailed a rather acrid letter to Dan Miller (Gulf Stream Coach's forum guy) a couple months back about the dismal response of Gulf Stream Coach's "AskMrWorthmore". He recently responded with a request for me to identify what wasn't previously answered by the MrWorthmore service. So, I used that invitation to request help on my overdrive wiring problem.

Within hours, I recieved a response from Scott A Pullin, VP of Operations with some helpfull information from the GS Chassis Manager (as a result of Dan Miller). Scott has always been a gentleman & very eager to help when he could. (KUDOs to Scott!).

Unfortunately, the wiring is apparently installed by Workhorse. Scott's suggestion didn't help me (other than to certainly help relations). So, I contacted the Gulf Stream Coach Electrical Engineer who's number has been previously posted. WOW, this guy is good! He didn't have the answer at his desk, but within hours had obtained the interconnect table diagram from Workhorse & forwarded it to me. Within 10 minutes, I had overdrive operational in my coach!

Oh yeah, PS: My RV dealership seems to have forgotten that they returned my unit defective, that they screwed up & have yet to offer a repair plan.... They have never called back to follow up on their suggestion to "just keep plugging wires into different pins till it works." They do, however, love to announce that they are the largest Gulf Stream dealer in the country. Perhaps Gulf Stream Coach should take a closer look at that statistic?

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:30 AM   #2
CampWinican

Glad you got it figured out and were able to fix it yourself. Just think of the poor soul who may have had this problem and who would have no inclination of how to fix it themselves! They would be at the mercy of a dealer who obviously doesn't know how to figure it out either!
CampWinican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 11:53 AM   #3
RJ82much

Exactly!

Actually, I had to drive 100 miles not knowing what was going on with my coach. Since it was Saturday afternoon, the dealer's (LongView RV in Connecticut) service department locked the doors soon as they handed me the keys. The salesmen in the "Gazeebo" watched me struggle for over an hour, but since I wasn't buying that day, it's NOT their job to offer to obtain assistance. Several circuit breakers in the power compartment just behind the drivers-side front wheel were tripped open so that I had no DC in the Coach. That added to my initial confusion as to just what was wrong.

Careful with those 80 amp breakers... pushing the red button opens the breaker. The little black indicator flag is VERY difficult to see when the breaker is open. I'm thinking a little dab or bright flourescent yellow on the flag would be helpful. It was after I returned all the breakers to "on" when I discovered there was still no indication of overdrive.

When I got home, I tried to figure out how to correct the problem. I had the harnesses & switches all exposed behind the dash, but there was no clue as to the proper connection. I initially found one of the overdrive wires unplugged. Unfortunately reattaching it did not activate the circuit. Just suppose I followed the Service Department advice & ended up burning out the TCM (transmission control module)... presumably I wouldn't even be able to drive the unit to a repair facility .... all for the lack of a little information.

Oh yeah, while I was in behind the dashboard, I discovered why my "fog lights" (?) never seemed to be very effective... they never lit! The connector was unplugged from the switch. The wire harness just behind the dashboard switches is very heavy. It just hangs there, held up by the connectors themselves. The fog light wires were twisted around & very short so the entire weight was on that connector till it became dislodged. All the weight then was born by the ICC switch, which hasn't yet come unplugged.

sighhhh.... I wonder why the service tech hadn't noticed these things? I guess that wasn't part of HIS job.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote