Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-11-2005, 08:33 AM   #1
phoebewienke

Default BT Cruisers

Where are the BT Cruiser owners? I've found no posts on this forum when using the "search." I am interested in the 5291 model which has the atrium. I am concerned with possible leakage and would like to know of any owner experience. It is a new model so there may not be many owners yet. I would also like to know what the experience is of using the Ford 450 to tow a Honda with a 29', traveling over hills and mountains.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:11 PM   #2
marvhowell

Phoebe, I can't address the 5291, but we have a 5290. I would check out the carrying capicity of the 5291. Our 5290 gets real close to the gross vehicle weight. I would ask the dealer to weigh the 5291, as the third slide will add a lot of weight to the right side which has the water heater, refer, furnace and the large wardrobe. As to the Ford 460, that engine is a winner to me and I have been GM all my life. We just got back from a 3500 mile trip and got about 8.5 MPG. Not bad towing a Chev. Malibu which weighs 3380 lbs. If you have any other concerns, you can E-mail me. Marv
marvhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:30 PM   #3
tonigil

I think you already know that we have a 5230 hopeing for a larger one. We are really happy with ours but, we just developed a knocking sound in the area of the passenger side windshield area and a whistleing wind sound in the same area by the passenger door. It is at the Ford Dealer now and they are checking it out. It seems that our Independant RV repair shop seems to think it is a Ford problem. Will let you guys know what happens in a few days, when we get it back.
Toni
Old 11-03-2005, 03:20 AM   #4
Eddie Coble

Default Re: BT Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebewienke
Where are the BT Cruiser owners? I've found no posts on this forum when using the "search." I am interested in the 5291 model which has the atrium. I am concerned with possible leakage and would like to know of any owner experience. It is a new model so there may not be many owners yet. I would also like to know what the experience is of using the Ford 450 to tow a Honda with a 29', traveling over hills and mountains.
----
I have just purchased a 2006 Model 5291 and I am in the process of getting factory quality issues rectified. The dealership in Elkhart, IN has done a good job so far and has requested permission to make certain repairs the factory overlooked ? I should know more in a couple of weeks.

As to your question atrium, I had the dealership seal the screw heads with the white sealant they use to seal seams. The tech agreed I had a concern of leaking in the future. I stated I was not happy with just the double-faced tape between the plastic and the roof and the screw heads exposed to the elements.

The Ford V-10 engine is one powerful power plant so I would not think you will have any problem pulling your Honda. If you have a concern, consider installing a Banks system and I know you would not have a problem. http://www.bankspower.com/index.cfm is their web site.

One thing I am adding is rollers on the rear hitch. Even a small dip in the entrance to a gas station the rear will drag.

Granted I have less than 500 miles on my 2006 but I have been through it from top-to-bottom and front-to-rear and seem to have found most all the problems.

I am happy with my unit but Gulf Stream does have some manufacturing problems which I have sent pictures to their office. If you need, email me direct and I will comment directly.

Eddie
Old 11-06-2005, 04:41 PM   #5
hpytravlr

Default B T Cruisers

Da Ritz,

We own a BT Cruiser 5290 which does not have the atrium, but we met a couple this weekend who have the 5291. They did not mention having any problem with the atrium. We were all part of a group of 30 BT Cruisers who met for a rally in Pigeon Forge in order to start a club for BT Cruiser owners. We even held an Open House and got a look at each others cruisers, sharing ideas that have worked for us. They were some of the nicest people I have met while camping. One problem we keep having is the tailpipe for the generator is so far back it keeps getting knocked loose when we go over even a small dip in the curb. I definitely recommend getting the rollers to go under the back and keep you from dragging the rear.

Penny
2006 BT Cruiser 5290
hpytravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
bob winfield

I have the 2006 5291 with atrium, I am the second owner, the atrium has been sealed prior to me purchasing the Rv,.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
chaswood

Default BT Cruiser 5291 questions;

Phoebe,
I have a 2006 BT Cruiser. Following are my observations and answers;
I tow a 2001 Seabring Chrys, it weighs 3300 lbs. No problem climbing or decending hills while using the "Tow Haul" feature on the Ford 450 chasis with the V-10 engin. Regarding the Atrium water leaks; keep the joints on it's top sealed, lubricate the rubber seals with a silicon treatment (for rubber seal applications). Also keep your Slide locks in a tightened when traveling. I Also ordered and installed something called:"RainKap" and installed it on the trim at the edge of the roof all around the unit. It works very well. There have been many people suggesting that rollers be installed at the rear of the 5291 so the rear end and tailpipe for the generator does not drag
. I called Ford customer service regard this matter and was told that If intstalled rollers that would void the 3 yr Warranty for the chasis by Ford. I asked them what they suggested and was told to install AirBags. I did this and have not had any further problems with rearend drag. I also had the Gulf Stream dealer move the generator exhaust pipe further back
Old 03-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
purduepete2

Hey Chaswood and Winfield,

I'm glad I'm not the only one out here on this GS blog site.
I captain a 2007 GS BTCruiser Model 5291B and just returned fom a 5000 miles + trip through the southwest from Indianapolis to Big Bend NP, TX , Presidio, TX , Benson, AZ (Kerchner Caverns) Tucson, AZ, Phoenix, AZ ( Catalina Mts SP) (Superstition Mts SP) and returned home safely.

The BT handled famously like an SUV and was totally a pleasure to drive.
Gas mileage was 8.3 MPG for the trip, but I was high tailing it from AZ to IN @ 75 mph to beat the weather.

Send me a PM if you want to know how to tame all that tail waggin'

I hope to meet ya'l at a one of the rallys.

Happy Highways!,
Pete
purduepete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
pete beale

THEY ONLY LEEK WHEN IT RAINS.
I have just been lucky enough to sell my 3 slide 5291 .
They look awsome but when it rains both the atrium and the lounge slide leek terribly around the cab area, We used to leave a pile of old news papers on the carpet to soak up the water when the slides were out.
LOOKS OF RV with full bodypaint 10/10
build quality 6/10
chance of me buying another gulstream 1/10

I had mine built with the diesel ford engine and that was good.
sprinter chassis are nicer to drive.

sold for half what I paid for it after less than 5000 miles.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
bob winfield

Purduepete, just read your post, yeah the Cruiser handles great, my wife drove it coming home from Death Valley, she says she could drive it all day. I don't get much tail wagging.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:30 AM   #11
ed.b

We took a 29.5 F450 from Phoenix to the east coast and back towing a Honda Element. The Honda was full of stuff and probably weighed over 4000 lbs. We went over mountains and thru deserts and never had a problem, altho W VA and the blue ridge in VA were somewhat of a challenge. W VA is not flat anywhere and we spend alot of time in 3rd gear going up the hills. Temp guage never moved; we just burned more gas. I generally cruise around 60 on the interstates; it will go faster but the gas mileage plummets
ed.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #12
gmbetterton

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebewienke View Post
where are the bt cruiser owners? I've found no posts on this forum when using the "search." i am interested in the 5291 model which has the atrium. I am concerned with possible leakage and would like to know of any owner experience. It is a new model so there may not be many owners yet. I would also like to know what the experience is of using the ford 450 to tow a honda with a 29', traveling over hills and mountains.
i have an 07 atrium model and have not had any problems. Just do your regular maintenance. I tow a toyota tacoma pickup--works fine. The 450 power plant is a good platform.
gmbetterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:10 AM   #13
purduepete12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpytravlr View Post
Da Ritz,

We own a BT Cruiser 5290 which does not have the atrium, but we met a couple this weekend who have the 5291. They did not mention having any problem with the atrium. We were all part of a group of 30 BT Cruisers who met for a rally in Pigeon Forge in order to start a club for BT Cruiser owners. We even held an Open House and got a look at each others cruisers, sharing ideas that have worked for us. They were some of the nicest people I have met while camping. One problem we keep having is the tailpipe for the generator is so far back it keeps getting knocked loose when we go over even a small dip in the curb. I definitely recommend getting the rollers to go under the back and keep you from dragging the rear.

Penny
2006 BT Cruiser 5290
I had the factory relocate the generator to the storage compartment right behind the passenger seat and put in a new storage compartment behind the rear wheels. The trailer hitch still drags on some inclines but, at least now I'm not replacing tailpipes on the generator. A better place for the generator would have been behind the drivers side seat as originally proposed.
purduepete12 is offline   Reply With Quote