Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-11-2019, 12:50 AM   #21
[email protected]

Send a message via AIM to kenjohnston83@gmail.com

My Tourmaster has an engine battery on off switch that I always turn off after shutting the engine down to prevent anything draining the start battery.
kenjohnston83@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:32 PM   #22
Capt_Bill_USMC

What does the dash switch look like that tells it to charge both sets of batts?
Capt_Bill_USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:33 PM   #23
Capt_Bill_USMC

Where is the batt on off switch located?
Old 08-03-2019, 10:10 PM   #24
Chuck v

Bill,

There is no switch that charges both sets of batteries, but there is a momentary switch that allows the house and chassis batteries to be TEMPORARILY connected together to get the engine started. it has an icon tht looks like a battery (third fro the left in the below picture...)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:11 PM   #25
Chuck v

The house and chassis battery main switches are typically in the step well as you exit.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:21 AM   #26
Capt_Bill_USMC

Thanks Chuck! First thing I did when I bought my coach was to label all the switches. Drives me nuts that they weren't labeled. There are a bunch of switches in the well that aren't labeled, included a red switch. I didn't find any momentary switches. I did find what looks to be a bunch of basement door switches though.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:21 AM   #27
Capt_Bill_USMC

Yeah, mine don't have anything with a battery on it. No icons at all. It is very frustrating.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:29 AM   #28
Capt_Bill_USMC

Chuck, this reply is very helpful and made me think about something. You said the Golf Cart batts start the gen. My gen won't start, won't even turn over. No noise, nothing. Could it be that all 8 batts are dead? And if so, what would cause that? Last time I ran the engine and gen was in May sometime. Or could it be that there is a master switch somewhere that I've turned off? As it is now, I am going to charge my 4 batts in the aft starboard side but not sure how I will be able to get the gen batts charged just yet. I pulled the gen out and didn't see any batts up under there.

Lesson learned here, start the coach and gen once per week and let it run for a while.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:52 AM   #29
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Bill_USMC View Post
Chuck, this reply is very helpful and made me think about something. You said the Golf Cart batts start the gen. My gen won't start, won't even turn over. No noise, nothing. Could it be that all 8 batts are dead? And if so, what would cause that? Last time I ran the engine and gen was in May sometime. Or could it be that there is a master switch somewhere that I've turned off? As it is now, I am going to charge my 4 batts in the aft starboard side but not sure how I will be able to get the gen batts charged just yet. I pulled the gen out and didn't see any batts up under there.

Lesson learned here, start the coach and gen once per week and let it run for a while.
What does your battery indicator say on the control panel?

Normally your batteries will stay charged. No need to start the coach once a week.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #30
Chuck v

The battery charge indicator in the status panel on my coach that contains the tank level indicators and the propane level only shows the state of the house batteries. The inverter battery charge indicator is on a separate panel in the overhead entertainment equipment cabinet next to the front TV. I did not have a charge indication of any kind for the chassis batteries...

If you left the inverter on last May and you have a load that is always present like a residential refrigerator then the inverter/generator start batteries would certainly be dead by now. Look at the level of electrolyte in those cart batteries as they are a bit difficult to fill in that under windshield location and probably did not get regular maintenance service from the prior owner. I put a set of watering caps on mine with the squeeze bulb pump to make it easier to fill and check using the fill indicator on each cap. Did the same for the house batteries since the basement bay was not that much easier to check electrolyte level there as well.

A good plan with a new-to-you used coach is to replace all the batteries now so you KNOW their age and condition and begin a regular maintenance schedule at that point.

Chuck