Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #21
GStream40
Site Team

The first picture shows the arm on the side(s) of the kitchen alide:

This second picture shows the arm and the pin. I had the dealer's service remove the arm and seal the pin so that no water could get into the frame past the pin.

This last picture is a view showing the arm, pin and bottom where the tightening bolt for the pin is located.

You can see in the photos some of the sealant that was used.
I cannot advise how they removed the arm off the pin, but looking at it I would say they probably supported the slide and pulled the clip pin and then the arm. Sealed the pin really good by seeing all the sealant that was squeezed out around it. They did this to both side pins of the kitchen slide and also the passenger side bedroom slide as a precaution.

This stopped the water from getting into the bottom frame and running inside the frame and onto the floor.

BTW, The dealer didn't figure this out, nor did Gulf Stream advise of this, I figured it out while watching the water run down the outside of the slide during a rain and into the pin area.

The leak was intermittent, sometimes the water wouldn't run onto the floor until I ran the slide in and sometimes it would leak with the slide out. I found out the water would lay in the frame after a rain then run out onto the floor later. It just about drove the dealer service dept, Gulf Stream and I nuts until I finally figured out what was happening.

Like I stated in a earlier post, since the pins where sealed behind the arms, we haven't had any more water leak problems with kitchen slide.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:14 PM   #22
movinsue

Default GS Customer Service

GStream40-MUCH thanks for your assist on this confounding problem--made all the worse by lack of customer service attention by Gulf Stream Coach.

I noted that your coach is the same as ours, model, engine and chassis. Only the model year is different. I feel pretty confident that our coaches suffered from the same leaking problem in that area.

From your pics, the fix does not appear to be a "backyard project". Do you happen to have the service paperwork from your dealer in which the repair work was described? Since this is an unusual repair, I am thinking I would need as much description as possible when I take it in.

Again, thanks for the extra mile you went to describe and illustrate your experience for the benefit of all GS owners perplexed by this problem.
movinsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:53 PM   #23
GStream40
Site Team

Default Re: GS Customer Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinsue
I noted that your coach is the same as ours, model, engine and chassis. Only the model year is different. I feel pretty confident that our coaches suffered from the same leaking problem in that area.

From your pics, the fix does not appear to be a "backyard project". Do you happen to have the service paperwork from your dealer in which the repair work was described? Since this is an unusual repair, I am thinking I would need as much description as possible when I take it in.

Since the sealing job was done under the warranty and was done under my direction, there was no actual description on the work order other than "Seal Kitchen Slide as per customers direction"

You could print out my description in the post or if you want, contact me by PM with your email address and I will sent you my pictures by email along with a brief desciption of what to seal which I believe you understand now. If mine wouldn't have been under warranty, I would have probably done it myself, but that is just me since I do all the PM maintenance on our coach myself.

Ron
Old 02-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #24
RJ82much

Ron,

I'm fascinated with the pics of your scissor mechanism for your slides. I have the lowly Sun Voyager, so we get hydraulic slides with self-aligning rack & pinion. BTW, the factory engineer on our tour said my system was the best in the industry. How your units, the la-creme da crop don't get the unit mine has? (if the factory guy wasn't throwing me a line).

* In your photo, what is the purpose of the bolt on the bottom? That's a pretty hefty bolt. Wall to floor?

* The side pin (pivot for the scissor arm?): How is it fastened into the floor? (or wall?) threaded? welded? It doesn't extend into the living area, I presume? How can the GS designers be so careless to possibly miss this as a potentional source of leaks? I'm absolutely amazed. There has to be some kind of weldment into a frame structure to hold that weight. That design is just like the pins from my backhoe attachment to my tractor 3-point hitch. They take a beating, bend, stretch a tad, & then move all around till I replace them. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about water leaks on the hitch!

* The next thing I find appalling about the design is it looks like a simple hole has been drilled through the arm, & with no bushing what-so-ever, the arm is just slipped onto the pin? A little bumpy driving, a few operations, and the hole elongates. Allows the slideout to droop a little so that the top seal doesn't. I'm not sure what the nature of misalignment would occure with the slideout in... but it can't be good. Jees, unless I'm wacky, it just doesn't make sense that a $200,000 rig doesn't warrant another $10 worth of parts.

Sue, I'm old & decrepate, but it looks like a project your manly man could potentially tackle. Me thinks I'd block the bottom up from the ground (firmly - 6x6, shimmed to take the weight off the arm) maybe in 2 places as a precaution. Oh, another idea: sturdy boxes, stands, or work-table & an automobile jack to make the fine adjustment. Pull your fancy pin. With a tire iron, pry bar, or whatever, move the arm off the pin.

Now closely examin that pin to see of it's tight, if there is any movement. Before you put the arm back on, gunk the devil out of the wall & pin. If there is an actual gap between the wall and the pin, get a big O-ring from Home Depot or TSC(?) the tractor store. Jam the O-ring in the gap then plug with the most expensive sealant you can find. I think you'll likely find it is a Butal sealant.

Reverse the assembly process (arm on, pin in, lower the jack). Give all your helper friends the beer they so earned & send them on their way. You & hubby hug. Keep after GS to tell you how they'd suggest you fix your leak. )

Ron, please tell me if you believe I've diagnosed this wrong. I'm just going by the picture.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:07 PM   #25
GStream40
Site Team

Bob,
I believe you are right about the arms to a point. The arms just seem to be a stabilizer when in the open position and are on the shallow slides of the pasenger side that are electric. The other two slides on drivers side are hydraulic and do not have them.

Gulf Stream changed this design last year I believe, 2006 models, on the electric slides and now they have something else, no arms. Like computers, something new and better comes out all the time, at least they say.

The one thing is unlike your backhoe which moves lots of times at the pivots and actually supports heavy loads, the arms are just a stabilizer as I stated. Of course if I could have or would have purchased a Provost, it would not have any of those. But in all truthfulness, the slides function very good, are tight, move in/out true and seal tight with no leaks, now.

As far as your description of how to remove the arm out off the pin so that one could seal it, I believe you might be right about supporting the slide weight, but like I stated, I told the dealer what to seal and they did it. I probably can find out from Gulf Stream techs at the Back Home Rally in June on how to remove the arms and what procedure to do.

Ron
Old 02-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #26
GStream40
Site Team

Here is some information that I found about the arms and the assembly made for the our kitchen/bedroom passenger side slides.
It was made by:
Liftco Inc.
24076 Reedy Dr.
Elkhart, IN 46514
website: http://www.liftcoinc.com/index.html?pag ... es&level=3

Ph. 800-454-3876 or 574-266-5551

There is PDF file that you can view the assemblies, we have the Standard Wall Kit on ours.

Ron
Old 02-17-2007, 10:52 PM   #27
RJ82much

Ron,

Now I'm very confused. I went to the LiftCoInc site & looked closely at their PDF file.

It seems to indicate that the pin is actually on the outside of the living space, under the floor. Also, they have a note stating there is a drip pan to "channel water away". They don't say away from what though. It shows the drip pan right under the pin.

I'm back to wondering how water is getting into the interior. What am I misunderstanding?

The liftco unit is actually a frame, complete with electric motor, that GS essentially sets their slide-room into/onto?

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 02-18-2007, 12:24 PM   #28
GStream40
Site Team

"I'm back to wondering how water is getting into the interior. What am I misunderstanding?"

Bob,

If you look at the drawing carefully, you will see that the pin assembly goes into the bottom frame, the water was going around the pin into the frame, following the frame to the inside corner and running/dripping onto the floor.

Sealing the pin stopped the water intrusion and thus stopped the leak.

I don't know where the "drip pan" is located since one cannot see inside the the bottom after the slide is complete.

It is an assembly that Gulf Stream purchases and builds the slide into it.
It does work quite well and seals tight. No water problems since I had the dealer seal around the pin and that is what counts. Maybe the pan was sealed by a mistake by GS during assembly of the slide and that is what caused the leak, in other words maybe the pan was supposed to drip to the outside bottom but couldn't and that is why the leak accured, no way to tell. So the only option is to make sure no water flows past the pin which seems to be the best solution.

Anyway, it worked and I am a happy camper..

Ron
Old 02-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #29
RJ82much

Ron,

Silly Bob, Silly Bob, Silly Bob, Silly Bob, Silly Bob,

I totally forgot that you may want to occasionally CLOSE your slide!!!! ...and YES, the slide frame, drip pan, and all comes INSIDE. Whew.

Sounds like the "drip pan" is just that - a drip pan, not a drain pan. So, perhaps you bring a pan-full of water inside, then go bumping down the road, emptying the pan on the rug!

Sorry - I was daydreaming of snowmobiling

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 05-01-2007, 01:16 PM   #30
movinsue

Default Gulf Stream (Gulfstream) Customer Service

This is a followup to my several previous posts describing the extraordinarily POOR Customer Service which I experienced with Gulf Stream aka GulfStream headquarters.

Per a suggestion from another Forum member, I emailed GulfStream Customer Service daily for TWO WEEKS, each time referencing my previous unanswered emails and attaching previous correspondence.

NOT ONE of my emails was acknowledged by anyone at Gulf Stream. Not even an Auto Responder! (None of my emails was returned to me by my email server.)

Not surprisingly, I am quite disturbed by this shocking demonstration of corporate rudeness. At this point, I seek nothing further from Gulf Stream Coach. Needless to say, they are no longer in the running for a future purchase.

Additionally, I will do everything in my power to actively and vigorously discourage anyone contemplating a purchase from Gulf Stream from doing so prior to thoroughly researching their record of aftersale service. I will also take advantage of every opportunity to submit appropriately negative comments and opinions to consumer surveys, online newsletters, blogs, magazines and other forums which solicit such input.

Since I found that internet Search Engines produce different results according to the version of the spelling of Gulf Stream, I will make sure that Gulf Stream is formed both ways in anything published--Gulf Stream and Gulfstream-- so that persons seeking information will have ALL the pertinent details available to them!
Old 05-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #31
mfa

Default Re: Gulf Stream (Gulfstream) Customer Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinsue
This is a followup to my several previous posts describing the extraordinarily POOR Customer Service which I experienced with Gulf Stream aka GulfStream headquarters.

Per a suggestion from another Forum member, I emailed GulfStream Customer Service daily for TWO WEEKS, each time referencing my previous unanswered emails and attaching previous correspondence.

NOT ONE of my emails was acknowledged by anyone at Gulf Stream. Not even an Auto Responder! (None of my emails was returned to me by my email server.)...
Have you tried writing them a real letter? I wrote them on a warranty issue and got a written response back within the week.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #32
lockdoc

Sue,

I am sorry to hear that you still have had no personal contact with GS and that your problem still exists. I am glad that I have a GS towable as I have had nothing but great thngs to say about the level of attention to customer service when I have had a need. I know that all of the different divisions are supported by different department heads and that seems to make a difference!

Question for you. Have you done any phone calls to their customer service department or management staff? You may have answered that question in an earlier post, but frankly I am too lazy to go back and read all three pages. From this last post it looks like you emailed only and your frustration mounted with each and every email you sent. I know how that goes....my thing is a busy phone line when I feel I NEED to get through so it works with MY schedule! With everytime I dial the number my blood pressure goea up! There are some great people at Gulfstream and I am surprised that you haven't gotten to talk to anyone yet! If you dared to make a rally, they will have folks there to address the issue for you. If you were in my neighborhood, after the desciption of the issue, I am sure that I could take care of it for you in less time than it took me to write and edit this email!

Good luck to you in this issue. I wish you no bad will but it is my experience that spreading negatives only tend to make us more negative ourselves and bitter and sour. Sometimes we just gotta get on with life and fix what needs to be fixed. I have had the opportunity to repair my new 5er myself because it was more of a pain to take it to a dealer and I am mechanically inclined. Find someone like me and get it fixed so you can be a HAPPY camper if you cannot get a GS dealer to seal the pin that is causing the leak.

Life's blessing to you.....and hoping that this finds you smiling!

Kevin
Powrachute Powered Parachute Rotax 912 100 HP
lockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #33
Maggie

Kevin,
That was a great answer and I agree with you completely.
Some times we are our on worst enemey. I do wish they would
go to the BHII rally. I think the problem could be solved there. However I also realize that everyone can't get away from jobs & etc.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #34
movinsue

Default Gulf Stream Coach Customer Service

This is further information to those readers who did not see the history of my previous multiple attempts to receive Customer Service...which is the subject of this thread. Be assured that I did, indeed, pick up the phone several times and left many messages.

I do not believe that one should have to jump through hoops to get a response from a corporate entity with whom one has placed confidence and thousands of dollars in their product. Despite my belief, I did jump through many hoops.

Additionally, I must differ on one point made. Email IS real mail. It is written communication that saves trees, fuel and and certified postage fees. It has an audit trail. It is a legally-recognized form of notification and one can be held accountable for what is communicated in email.

It is wonderful when one has good experience with a manufacturer and, when that is the case, it should be publicly acknowledged in fairness to RV'ers coming to the forum for a balanced view of an issue. But others do not have a good experience. Before pronouncing the writer as having a negative attitude, perhaps one could read the thread in its entirety and then decide.

One is always free to disagree with the writer's "final answer" but comments about "being one's own worst enemy" and implications that the author should get back to being a "happy camper" are presumptuous.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:50 PM   #35
bad42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStream40
Sue.
I would call Lori again and again if needed to get the info you want.

Ron
Ron/Sue
It's been my experience that part of the problem with the customer support organization at GS is the manager, and that is Lori. Over the last two months I have left her 5 voice mails and talked with a person on her team that supposedly told her that I needed a return phone call.

So far there has been no response from Lori or anyone else on her team. I truely believe that Lori's lack of professionalism and customer focus has set the tone for the entire group of customer representatives.

It's extremely rare to reach anyone in the customer support group without leaving a voice mail message, and even rarer still to receive a return phone call from anyone.

Shortly after I purchased my MH, I received a letter announcing the Gold program and introducing my personal advisor. It may play well in the press, but in reality it isn't working well. It appears that if you are having a problem with your rig, they don't want to hear about it and are inept to help with a resolution. I assume that if you are not having a major issue and are content with your purchase, they may be glad to talk with you.

Donna, navigator
2007 Sun Voyager 8389MXG, Steer Safe, ULTRAPOWER, Ultratrac Bar's, CAI, Taylor Extreme's, Bilstein's on front, Koni 90's on rear
06 Saturn Vue, Falcon II, Brake Buddy
FMCA 365149, IRV2
bad42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:54 PM   #36
GStream40
Site Team

Sue,

Did you get your leak fixed on the kitchen slide using the advice I gave you on what was done to mine to stop the leak?

Ron
Old 05-08-2007, 09:43 PM   #37
movinsue

Default GulfStream Customer Service

Ron: Not yet. We just returned from the FMCA convention and a short trip afterwards. Our rig has just been moved to a vacant "snowbird" site on a concrete pad and we are now able to plan a repair. I am hoping to find some help in the area (Lake Wales) as my husband is not well these days. I am fortunate to have had your substantial technical help on this job to guide the repair-thanks once again.

Bill-I'm sorry to hear that you are having ongoing problems with Gulf Stream's Customer Service. I did speak to Lori one time when she promised to follow up on my concern, but she never called back. I feel your pain...

Speaking of the FMCA convention, we visited the Gulf Stream product display (on Day 1) and spoke at great length with a GS gentleman inside one of the RV's who seemed very interested in our experience with Customer Service. He was not a dealer rep and seemed familiar with GS. Despite a genuine concern with some of GS's "systemic" problems, we were offered no further exploration of our issue by any GS representatives present at the convention.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #38
GStream40
Site Team

Sue,
Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about Frank not feeling well.

I am also checking into another posible "fix" on our slides. If it works also I will will let you know. It is to seal the frame so the water cannot run into the interior and onto the floor no matter if the pin is sealed or not.

Hopefully I can check into it and try it in the next week.

Ron
Old 05-09-2007, 07:15 AM   #39
movinsue

Default Gulf Stream Customer Service

Ron-that is so cool! I could do the sealing myself if it is a workable fix, even if it is interim! My Frank has good and bad periods and this is one of the bad ones, unfortunately. Gotta get him feelin' frisky again and back "on the road" so he can Drive Miss Susie! Appreciate your well wishes!
Old 07-16-2007, 08:20 AM   #40
SueMac

Another Super Nova owner had tried for weeks to get a hold of Lori at GS to no avail. He finally went up the ladder and found out she no longer works there. He was put in contact with another gal (sorry I forgot her name), left a voice message and was contacted right away.

We have been contacted by GS being new owners and have been assigned a personal customer service rep. Had a nice visit with Kristi about the changes at GS and all the problems we're experiencing with our new Super Nova. We should talk to our personal rep this week on what we'll do with some of the serious problems as a result of poor assembly.

Hopefully things are improving at GS.

SueMac
'08 Super Nova
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote