Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Bluegrass Quilter

Default Leaking A/C

Anyone know why our rear A/C would be leaking? Sure was a surprise to find wet sheets when we were ready to call it a night!

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager, F53 , 'Master Tow' dolly
Bluegrass Quilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
mpv8439

Send a message via Yahoo to mpv8439

New to the web site. I had this happen to me twice on this trip. After the second time I climbed on the roof and removed the cover to the A/C. The unit was freezing up. I checked the coils of the condenser and found that after six years of use that they needed cleaning. Took an old toothbrush and brushed the trash that was stuck to the coil. Then took some 409 and sprayed the coil and washed with water. No problems after that.
I checked the front A/C coil and found that it was not as dirty as the rear and I figure that was because of using the rear unit a lot more at night etc.
Hope this helps as it did mine.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
Bluegrass Quilter

Welcome to the site,, I am a newbie also

Thanks a bunch, we got the MH from my sister and it has set up for a couple of years so I am sure that a lot of things need checked out. We took our first trip with it and this happened the first day otherwise our trip was great !!
I will get DH to climb up and clean it or if the son comes to visit before he gets home (OTR driver) I will ask him to look at it.

Stay safe and enjoy your trips, we did , even with this 'little' problem..

Old 07-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
David Bott

Hi...

Just a quick question. Was it running or had it rained?

I ask for we had a small leek and it was because the gasket that seals the unit to the roof needed to be compressed some more. Seems that over time they can become loose. So I tightened down the 4 bolts, done from the inside, to pull it a little tighter. No issue after that.

Just a thought as I was not sure if your A/C was running or not.

Take care. Safe Travels.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
Bluegrass Quilter

Good morning!!
Yes, the A/C was running while we were at the campground. We turned it on low so we could have the bedroom cooled off , which it did do but we also had a 'plate' size wet spot on the bed. Thankfully it didn't go all the way thru to the mattress.. This is the only time that it has leaked but we haven't taken a chance since then.. we haven't been anywhere with the MH lately.
Thanks for checking in !

Old 07-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
gsadmin

When the AC runs it generates condensate that drains out of the unit. If this condensate pools near the AC unit and the unit is not sealed well (tightened down or faulty gasket) then the water can leak back into the coach.

Also, the "catch" and drain for the condensate could be faulty and not channeling it away properly and letting it drip into the inside.
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
Chuck v

What is the condensate drain path on the air conditioners for the TM 40-C? Mine both seem to discharge directly onto the roof and then drip down over the side -- is there a drain hose that is supposed to channel it differently, and if so how to I locate and unblock/repair it?

Thanks in advance...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #8
Bluegrass Quilter

I really appreciate all of the suggestions to fix our problem with the a/c, and even more good news, my son is coming up next weekend to visit and he said he would service them for me.. it is so great to get free labor He tells his friends that my 'honey-do' list is written on TP and is an endless roll.. DH is still out on the road.. (OTR driver) headed to Canada with a load. He is hoping the 'son' will have all the to-do's done by the time he gets home. All joking aside,, we do have a wonderful son AND I am going to be a great gramma for the first time.. life is great !

Old 08-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v
What is the condensate drain path on the air conditioners for the TM 40-C? Mine both seem to discharge directly onto the roof and then drip down over the side -- is there a drain hose that is supposed to channel it differently, and if so how to I locate and unblock/repair it?

Thanks in advance...

Chuck

I believe that when the condensate pan drains, it drains directly onto the roof. I hate that on my coach because it will streak right down the lowest point off the roof. I don't know why the manufacturer of all coaches connect a hose to a nipple at the bottom of the AC, run the hose down a wall to drain in the bottom, but they don't. I believe I read somewhere that some coaches do have a drain hose attached to the AC.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
Bluegrass Quilter

good morning! just an update, my son is coming up today and says he will look at the a/c's on the MH . He plans on cleaning them for sure and to check out the other suggestions..
Again, thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Happy Trails
Helen