Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #21
MissBehavin

Default Cat batteries

The two batteries in my Tourmaster are the great big ones as used in buses. Very expensive to replace. yes they say Caterpillar on them.
When I owned my MCI bus conversion I had 8, 6 volt golf cart batteries for house power and two Cat batteries for chassis. Charged the house and chassis whilst running. Had a second large alternator running off engine for charging house batteries. Bus had the detroit 8V92 engine @480 HP.
MissBehavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #22
Chuck v

MissBehavin,

I believe that the two engine starting batteries in your TourMaster are Group 31 batteries with around 1050 CCA for rated starting capabilities. The high cost name brand 'maintenance-free' batteries such as Optima in this size/rating can easily go well over $300 each, and even the Sears DieHard version is over $220 list. That is why the PowerVolt from Freightliner is a sweet deal. I don't mind checking the water on this style of battery, and can expect to get nearly the same service life from these as from their 'maintenance-free' cousins. The CCA rating of these under $85 batteries is as good as or better than the AGM Optima batteries and the total AH is quite a bit more...so I pocketed the few hundred dollars in savings from the pair and stayed several days at a very nice "resort" class park on the Oregon coast instead with the money

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #23
RayChez1

Thanks for the information. I learned something today. I never knew that Caterpillar sold their own brand batteries. I got a Cat engine, but it come out new with Interstate Workaholic 31-MHD sealed batteries 950 CCA. They lasted about four years, then I replaced them with the same brand for around $350.00 installed.
The deal you got through Freightliner is a very good price for a heavy duty battery.
I wonder who makes the batteries for Caterpillar. The link says they are the best you can buy? But then again you know they all say that. I will say though that Caterpillar does sell quality equipment.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #24
RayChez1

Default Re: Cat batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBehavin
The two batteries in my Tourmaster are the great big ones as used in buses. Very expensive to replace. yes they say Caterpillar on them.
When I owned my MCI bus conversion I had 8, 6 volt golf cart batteries for house power and two Cat batteries for chassis. Charged the house and chassis whilst running. Had a second large alternator running off engine for charging house batteries. Bus had the detroit 8V92 engine @480 HP.
The 8V92 Detroit engine you had on your MCI. Isn't that a two cycle engine? I think that is the same engine we used to have on a railroad crane. The only problem we ever had with that engine was the turbo charger was always going out. But other then that it was a very good engine. Fact the matter if you ever go by Barstow, Ca. stop and visit the railroad museum, the crane that I worked with for several years is on display and I believe it had one of those engines you had on your MCI.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #25
MissBehavin

Default Engine

yes the 8V92 is a two cycle. Sometimes refered to as the Screaming Jimmy. Lots of tour buses used the 2 cycle Detroits until the series Sixty came out and buses went to 45 ft long.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #26
MissBehavin

Default Odyssey batteries

Odyssey batteries are used by heavy trucks and buses and have a very good reputation. They can output as much as 2250 amps for 5 seconds.
Expensive though, They run around $350. Not bad when they can last upwards of ten years rigorous use.
I learned all this stuff when my late spouse and I owned a trucking company prior to retirement.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #27
Chuck v

The 60 series Detroit engine was the one used in the 2001 Prevost H3 that was the basis of the coach I had built at Vantare' in Florida (a Featherlight company...) for a company demonstrator a few years ago -- very nice set-up. We also had a 12 KWH turbo diesel generator on board that was in a foamed lead enclosure to keep it whisper quiet -- ran all the video delivery fiber optic telephone equipment and satellite head end video compression system we were demonstrating, plus the three air conditioners, etc when there was no shore power available. This coach also had two 4KW inverters so you could run much of this equipment without even starting the generator for a few hours. The batteries for these inverters were connected as 24 volt stacks of deep cycle 6volt units.

This coach had a full body wrap signage for advertising purposes since it was used at national trade shows and conventions for business purposes...it was not meant to be subtle

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #28
03heritagerider

Quote:
it was not meant to be subtle
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!