Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
wfeffer

Default About to pull the trigger on a 96' Tourmaster

Hey all,
Just joined this forum as my wife and I are more than likely about to pull the trigger on a 96' 40' Tourmaster. It will be our first RV and our primary residence.

Home renovation including 120v electrical is all pretty easy for me, but RVs are a whole new world for me with their DC electrical, generator, solar panels not to mention the whole diesel engine.

I'm hoping to learn a lot here and do what repairs I can on my own. I'm also planning some upgrades and would love to see what people have done to their own Tourmasters.
wfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
Lesyo64

Welcome,
Did you do it? I just bought a 99 Tourmaster. If I can help with anything, please ask!
Lesyo64
Lesyo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:22 PM   #3
wfeffer

We did! It looked to be in really good condition and even though the second owner didn't seem to have a clue what she was doing the first owner had been meticulous and she only owned it for 4 years. It needed a full lube job, oil changes on the chassis and generator and new tires all around as they were over 8 years old and the drive tires were the wrong size. The rest is just making her our own. The roof is about ready to need replacing being 22 years old but that's ok since there is a lot of changes on the roof we plan to make. There are 6 very old and tired solar panels a satellite dish, a couple of antennas for CB, radio and terrestrial TV that we don't neeed as well as that huge vent for the old dometic fridge that we are going to upgrade to a residential fridge. Honestly in the end it's going to be a complete gut job to make it our home but for 22 years old it's in better condition than many houses I've seen that age.

I think right now the biggest issue I have is that the prior owner backed into something and cracked the back bumper badly. I don't even know where to find replacement parts and am thinking I just need to learn how to do fiberglass repair and fix it.
wfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote