Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-30-2006, 11:20 AM   #1
RayChez1

Default Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser

Can anybody tell me why Gulfstream dropped the Scenic Cruiser for the TourMaster? Could it be that Scenic Cruiser had out priced itself at 300k and Gulfstream wanted to manufacturer another luxury coach, but for less money. I was sure disappointed when they dropped the Scenic Cruiser since we have had such good luck with ours. I would have bought another one in a heart beat.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:16 PM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

Just guessing, but I would say it was production capacity and sales market. I imagine there is a bigger market for the TourMaster in it's price range than the Scenic Cruiser at it's higher price and also although they have increased the Plant 58 capacity in the last couple of years where the Class A gas and diesel motorhomes are built, they were still running flat out when we were there in June.

You never know, they might bring it back in a year or two, just like they did the Yellowstone Diesel Pusher.

If you remember The TourMaster used to be made, then it stopped when GS had an issue with Spartan Chassis. Now it is being made again, although it is not the same as the original.

Ron
Old 08-30-2006, 09:31 PM   #3
djqualls

I wonder how many class a vehicles they produce each model year, Then by model?

I'm also curious as to how many Tour Masters they made for the 2006 model year.

I'm guessing that they roll out less than 150 total class A vehicles each model year but I'm just guessing.

Dave........
Old 08-30-2006, 09:41 PM   #4
RayChez1

Default Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser

I believe that you are right. The TourMaster used to be the top of the Gulfstream luxury coaches. Then they dropped them for a few years and made the Scenic Cruiser the top of the line. Now I believe that the top of the line coach they manufacturer is the Friendship G8. I didn't know that they were manufacturing the Yellowstone anymore, but I did see one at Thousand Trails in Las Vegas. It sure is a nice looking coach. They might keep the Scenic Cruiser out for a few years, then they might bring it back. The last year they manufactured it was in 2005, and they were 42' long. But they had sky rocketed in price to 300k. Mine is only 38', but I only paid 212k. I think Gulfstream decided to sell less expensive coaches. The demand for the 300k plus coaches was not selling as good as the 150-200k class. Then there was also the introduction of the FRED. Scenic Cruiser might not have sold too many, but man it sure is a good coach.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 08-30-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

Dave,
I can't remember the exact figures, they told us when we went on one of the tours of Plant 58. But the figure was much higher than 150 Class A a year. That would be less than 3 a week. I will see if I can email a friend at Gulf Stream and find out.

Plant 58 is a large plant, 150 @ year would not begin to cover the operational expenses for the plant in my opinion.

Ron
Old 09-05-2006, 04:33 AM   #6
RV Wizard

Gulf Stream has been known to stop production of the higher end units and then redesign and bring them back out a few years later. I was told when I enquired about the Scenic Cruiser (was there last Dec.) that they were redesigning it and it would be coming back out as a high end unit once again. I suspect it to be a nother year before this happens.
iRV2.com -Gulf Stream Owners Forum Leader
2000 Scenic Cruiser
99 Chevy Silverado 4 X 4 Toad
2006 Saturn Vue AWD Toad
NASCAR #3 & #8
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by djqualls
I wonder how many class a vehicles they produce each model year, Then by model?

I'm also curious as to how many Tour Masters they made for the 2006 model year.

I'm guessing that they roll out less than 150 total class A vehicles each model year but I'm just guessing.

Dave........

I received a reply to an email I sent to GSC friend of mine.

Class A production at Plant 58 average 1200 to 1350 @ year. The planned production this year is 1250. This includes all Class A production including Tourmaster and Friendship.

Ron
Old 09-05-2006, 03:36 PM   #8
RayChez1

Default Gulfstream

I have not toured plant 58, but I used to have a good friend that was the general manager in the service department. He told me that it took approx. 28 days to complete a Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser. I don't know how many assembly lines they have going all at once, but that is what Robert Bertinelli told me. Unfortunately he does not work there anymore and I miss him, but he moved on to work for another company. The Scenic Cruiser was manufactured in Nappanee, Ind. Where is plant 58?????????
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 09-05-2006, 07:05 PM   #9
GStream40
Site Team

Default Re: Gulfstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
The Scenic Cruiser was manufactured in Nappanee, Ind. Where is plant 58?????????
Plant 58 is in Nappanee, it is the only Class A manufacturing plant that GSC has. The towables plants are also located in Nappanee and so is the Fairmont Homes manufactured homes plant. The Class C plant used to be in Goshen, but I believe it was moved, I am not sure where.

The 28 days for some of the class A coaches sounds about right, from start of the process, frame work installation, to the complete end including the painting.

We have toured the plant on four different occasions, found it interesting and something different each time. We especially enjoyed the lamination, where the sidewalls are made, operation very interesting. But this is usually not part of the regular daily tour. It was part of the Streamers tour last year.

The cabinet shop is also very interesting. The state of the art paint shop that is owned by Gulf Stream, but operated/leased by Mike's Custom Painting, is also located by the Class A plant.

Ron
Old 09-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #10
RayChez1

Default Gulfstream

We were headed to Nappanee, Ind. two years ago to take a tour of the facilities. We got as far as Batesville, Indiana and I called Gulfstream to see if we could go on a tour. They told me that it would have been great to have us there, but that they were closed for two weeks. So we just kept on going west from there and never made the tour.
Aventa II Blue Ox