Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
JIMNINA

Default 2003 Gulfstream Yellowstone (New to us)

We just purchased a 2003 Yellowstone with a CAT 330HP DP and this our first DP.
We just took a trip to Tennessee, from Central Florida, the only issue was on I-26 with overheating. I have since found out I probably didn't keep the RPM's in a good range.
A couple questions came up during the trip.

1.After stopping for the night at Walmart as we were accelerating onto the Interstate the generator shut down, Onan 75W silent genset, and would not restart right away.
We had about 1/2 tank of fuel and I kept trying to restart for an hour or so every 10-15 minutes with not luck. When we stopped to fuel up I decided to try to start the genset and after about three tries it did start. No problem the rest of the trip.

2. While going over the couch I saw an electrical plug nest to the battery minders and I don't know what it is for? It goes into a wire chase into the engine area? Do all Gulfstream's have a heater for the fuel? I see a wire chase coing off the drivers side of the engine and running toward the electrical plug, but can't tell.

3. In the coach next to the windshield are 2 small fans that I can't find a switch for either of them. They both are facing the windshield and don't seem to move?

4. As a new diesel owner are there any main areas of concern I should look for in the Gulfstream?

Any help with these items will be appreciated, We are planning a 2 week trip with the grandkids next month and was wondering if I should look at anything before we go. I have checked belts, hoses, changed fuel filters, check tires (All are about 3 years old).

Again thanks for your support~~~
JIMNINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

Default Re: 2003 Gulfstream Yellowstone (New to us)

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the GSowners Forum!

I will try and answer some of your questions,

1) When the fuel gets down near 1/4 the genset will shut down so that it does not run the fuel tank out of fuel. Sometimes this level is set more or less depending on how far the fuel line
pick-up is placed into the fuel tank. I know on our coach the genset will shut down when we get down to 3/8 of a tank.

2) If you are talking about the plug that is in the rear driver's side compartment this is the plug for the engine heater to warm the the engine in really cold weather so that the diesel
engine will start much easier.

3) The two small fans are to keep the windshield clear from condensation or you can use them to circulate the air. The switch should be in the cluster of switches in the middle of the
dash. It should be the one with the picture of a fan blade on it, one switch controls both fans.

4) I always carry a spare fuel filter just in case it plugs up.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
03heritagerider

JIMNINA,

Welcome to the forum. As for your windshield fans...Be firm, but they should rotate toward the windshield or toward the cabin. Mine also will tilt up and down. Again, they are tight and you have to be careful not to bend the cage around the blades (mine are metal). They are noisy to begin with, but when a blade starts tinging off the cover, it will get real annoying...real fast! I think I'm going to replace mine with plastic ones that oscillate and have speed settings.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
JIMNINA

Thanks for the reply's.
I removed a CB radio that the previous owner had installed and flipped the fan switch and the fans started working. And yes they do tilt and rotate, but very stiffly.

As far as the primer pump I do not see one on my coach, I found a diagram of the HEUI system and looked where it told me to.

Thanks for the info on the heater plug. I thought might be what it was but wasn't sure. Since we live in Central Florida I doubt it will get much use.
I will replace the filter and most likely a spare, that seems like a good idea.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
nemo45

Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNINA
Thanks for the reply's.
I removed a CB radio that the previous owner had installed and flipped the fan switch and the fans started working. And yes they do tilt and rotate, but very stiffly.

As far as the primer pump I do not see one on my coach, I found a diagram of the HEUI system and looked where it told me to.

Thanks for the info on the heater plug. I thought might be what it was but wasn't sure. Since we live in Central Florida I doubt it will get much use.
I will replace the filter and most likely a spare, that seems like a good idea.
There should also be a breaker for the engine heater in your 50A breaker box. Make sure you either unplug it(that's what I do) or turn off the breaker. I didn't know the engine heater plug in was there and the breaker was on and my electric bills were sky high until I found it. It took me about a month of unplugging things until I found it. I really found it thanks to this forum and some guys talking about their engine heater plug ins being in a side compartment. I was looking in the engine compartment itself for a plug for the heater, like my diesel pickup. it cost about $70 to run that thing for a month. There is no thermostat on it when its on it runs all the time. My wife always wondered why the floor was warm over the engine compartment.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
RayChez1

I have a off/on switch on the side of the bed box for the engine heater. It has a red or amber colored light that goes on when the switch is on the on position, similar to the off/on switch for the hot water heater when on electric use.
I also have a circuit breaker for every thing that runs off AC current. The AC plug for the engine heater is located in the same compartment where the inverter is located. There is also a plug in for cable television if a campground furnish it.

Now as far as to the over heating of the engine, IF you have a rear radiator it should also have a CAC cooling unit attached to the inside of the radiator. You need to spray that small radiator real good with Simple Green every so often, THEN wash it off with water. Those get all kinds of debris on them and will plug it up and the engine will start over heating on long grades.

But if you have a side radiator, then I am not sure why it would be overheating unless the hydraulic clutch to the fan has failed.

Others have already answered as to why the generator stopped. On mine it has never stopped, but I never run my coach that low on fuel. When it gets to half, I always fill it up and try to keep it full when in storage to prevent the diesel fungi from forming in the inside of the tank.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
JIMNINA

When the genset quit we had a little more than 1/2 tank of fuel. Since we aren't sure how well the gauge works we like to safe not sorry.
The coach does have a rear radiator and it does seem to be partially restricted, found the blow by hose disconnected at the valve cover. We were wondering why the inside of the coach smelt diesely I did try the simple green. but it is really hard to get the radiator. Can we use a pressure washer to clean, or is that to much pressure?
Old 05-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
RayChez1

I use an electric pressure washer to spray the Simple Green first. I let it set for about half an hour, then again I use the pressure washer but use the nozzle that does not spray too direct. And I do not hold the spray to direct. I move the nozzle from side to side.

I lift the bed up and expose the engine. From there you are about four feet away from the CAC and radiator. So you are not going to damage anything as far as too much pressure. Then when I get ready to rinse it off, I start the engine and spray it with just water. The fan will force any water in the core right out. At the same time if your engine needs a little wash job, that is the time to do it also.

Those electric power washers do not have a lot of pressure like the commercial washers. I bought it when I was in Oregon. I also use it the wash the top of the coach when I need to do the roof. The side walls I have only used it a couple of times when it has been through rain or snow. I usually use dry wash for the outside walls.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 11-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
JIMNINA

Good Evening to all
This is a very late response to my previous posts but thought I should reply with the outcome of our overheating problem.

The good news is that we found the problem for the overheating.
The bad part is that it cost $18,000 to fix it.
It turns out that the previous owner didn't perform required air filter maintenance on the RV and the engine was sucking sand.
Washed out the Engine, Head, Turbo, and an injector or two.

What is even worse is that he know that the engine was bad when he sold it.
Live & Learn
Old 11-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
RayChez1

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the engine. Maintenance is the life of any engine and for diesels air filters have to be checked yearly. The good news is you now have a completely over hauled engine which should last you many years.

Just curious as to what was causing the overheating. Was it a dirty CAC?
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 11-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
JIMNINA

That was a big part of it. When we got back from our trip I started looking and noticed that I couldn't even see the fins. When I had the engine replaced they cleaned everything and surprise no overheating.

I also think I was lunging the engine going up the mountain, didn't realize it needed to be running at a higher RPM.

Thanks for your reply's to my posts. From your reply's it seems that your coach is really close to ours.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNINA
That was a big part of it. When we got back from our trip I started looking and noticed that I couldn't even see the fins. When I had the engine replaced they cleaned everything and surprise no overheating.

I also think I was lunging the engine going up the mountain, didn't realize it needed to be running at a higher RPM.

Thanks for your reply's to my posts. From your reply's it seems that your coach is really close to ours.
I have a picture of my coach. If you want to see it and also post a picture of yours, go to the thread titled: SCENIC CRUISER MODEL 8406. There are directions there on how to post a picture of your coach. Several have posted the picture of their coach. I would love to see your new coach. That thread in on the second page of this forum.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 11-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
JIMNINA

I was able to load the picture of the coach.
It's pretty grainy but that was the only good one I had. Guess I should take a better picture, or two.