Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #1
martinandanne

Default Drain valve for fresh water tank

Is there typically a drain valve for the fresh water tank? Other than opening a faucet and letting the water run (which also would entail running the water pump) is there any easy way to drain the fresh water tank?

Thanks

Martin
martinandanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:56 AM   #2
earljan34

There is always a drain valve look at the lines it is normally at the lowest point in the line or tank good luck.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #3
RJ82much

I have 3 drains on my Class A... (no reason to think your's is different though).

On both sides of the water pump there is a Tee in the line. One leg on each tee goes down thru the bottom of the compartment to drain outside. Each of these lines has a small, plastic, circular ball valve.

Also, in my water & waste-dump compartment is a small plastic blade-type valve (in corner near the water inlet) that also goes thru the compartment floor to drain.

You can drain your water tank (to the ground outside) in short order by opening that downstream drain & turning the pump on (all faucets off so not to fill your waste tanks).

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:31 PM   #4
mfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ82much
I have 3 drains on my Class A... (no reason to think your's is different though).

On both sides of the water pump there is a Tee in the line. One leg on each tee goes down thru the bottom of the compartment to drain outside. Each of these lines has a small, plastic, circular ball valve.

Also, in my water & waste-dump compartment is a small plastic blade-type valve (in corner near the water inlet) that also goes thru the compartment floor to drain.

You can drain your water tank (to the ground outside) in short order by opening that downstream drain & turning the pump on (all faucets off so not to fill your waste tanks).
I've been draining my tank with a valve on a drainline that comes right from the tank. It's extremely slow, however -- just a trickle. Takes overnight to drain the tank. I thought it was because the drainline has a 90-degree elbow hose in it that looks like it is nearly collapsed because the hose is a bit too long for the elbow.

I do remember two other drain valves nearby. I thought I was told they came from the water heater and the "lowest level" of the piping. You're saying that one of them is a quick way to drain the tank? Is it trial-and-error or is there a way to tell which one to use? [I'm thinking it might not be wise to drain the hot water heater and run the risk of having too little water in it when the propane lights next usage.]
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:02 PM   #5
RJ82much

Unfortunately, it does seem to be trial & error. The equipment most likely changes with the product line & most certainly from Class C to Class A.

My tank does take a while to drain as well. Generally pull all 3 valves & go to bed (or find something else to do for a couple hours). What I'm saying is that one of the valves is on the faucets side of the water pump (rather than your tank side). Make sure your faucets are all turned off, open this drain that goes to the ground outside & turn on your water pump. Water should gush out of the drain onto the ground. Your tank will be emptied in matters of minutes. Just stick around to shut the pump off shortly after empty because the pump is cooled by the water. I'd guess you could burn it out running it dry.

About your hot water tank: It shouldn't drain dry because of the anti-backflow valves. But, you are wise indeed to be concerned. Turn off the water heater at the kitchen control/status panel to prevent the propane from coming on. Never never Ever ever leave the electric element on if there is a chance of emptying the hot water tank. They say its less than minutes before the element burns out! You know there is a circuit breaker behind the external panel that covers the water heater controls & exhaust. If there is the slightest chance that someone could turn on the unmarked switch in your MH, then turn off the external circuit breaker.

Next question I have is the purpose of draining the plastic water tank? If it is to winterize your unit, you know that you MUST take specific steps to drain the heater? Please forgive me if you consider this is a stupid comment, but I keep thinking about the lack of detail of my PDI. The dealer would have prefered that I drive 100 miles each way to have him do my winterizing each year, for a fee. So, I find it most responsible of me to just mention some of these little things, because it wouldn't be so little if you cracked your tank.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
mfa

Thanks for the detailed response! I live in Florida and keep my RV in inside storage, so I'm not worried about it freezing. I like to drain off any unused water out of the tank every month or two and put in fresh water.

I thought my hot water heater was propane only. Are you saying there might be an electric heating element in it also?
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote