Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-14-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
Coolbreeze

Default Water Heater Adjustment

I was out camping this weekend and my water heater on electric mode worked miserably. I never turned it on without filled so if the element is damaged it isn't my issue. Works fine in Gas Mode. So the question is; is there a temperature adjustment for these?

Another question. Does the Electric being on lockout the gas mode? I really don't like the switch for the gas mode in the trailer. When you switch it on the light turns on momentarily then turns off. What is that supposed to tell you?

Mike C
Old 05-14-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
RJ82much

Hi Mike,

Did you turn the breaker in the external heater compartment to "ON"?

You need to pull out the safety clip in the circuit breaker handle in order to operate it. Remove the outside wall cover/vent with the "twist" latch to expose the drain, the gas controls and in the circuit breaker in lower left corner of the compartment.

Your inside switch red light glows whether the external circuit breaker is on or off.

Save the clip to reinstall at the end of the season so that you don't accidentally turn on the heater without water.

Let us know if that solves the problem.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
Coolbreeze

I absolutely turn on the heater switch with in the compartment itself. In electric mode the water gets to only 80 to 90 degrees I would guess. Turn on the propane mode and the water temp will hurt ya. So that is why I was looking for the temp adjustment if the temp adjustments are seperate. If they are not then I guess I'm screwed or at least looking for something else.

Mike C
Old 05-15-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
RJ82much

Mike,

Here is a link that includes a diagram & parts breakdown of the Suburban 10 gallon gas/electric water heater. The electric thermostat is seperate from the gas thermostat.

http://www.marksrv.com/swwaterheater.htm

Suburban information is difficult to find.

The electric switch/thermostat unit, 140 degrees does not appear to be adjustable. It is available from the above website as part #0520788 for $24.75 It appears to fairly easy to change out.

The screw in heater element, part #02143 is reletively inexpensive at $12.50. It requires an 1? inch socket wrench though.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
Coolbreeze

Bob,

Good stuff, I owe you one! I'll check into this although I'm far withing warranty.

Mike C
Old 05-18-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
mfa

Default Re: Water Heater Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze
... I really don't like the switch for the gas mode in the trailer. When you switch it on the light turns on momentarily then turns off. What is that supposed to tell you?

Mike C
If it works like the light in my Gulf Stream Super-C...
When you switch the gas water heater on the light comes on to warn you that it's on but the automatic pilot light has not come on yet. As soon as the pilot light safely lights, the light goes off.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote