Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-19-2007, 06:26 AM   #1
RickM57

Default Septic tank issues

We have a new 2007 Mako 29ft that the toilet backs up the pipe even when the septic tank is completely empty. I have ran water in the flush inlet and it will not clear it. I have to use a snake down the toilet to finally get it to go down. Then I fille the tank with water from the flush inlet and let it sit thinking maybe paper is stuck and I drove it like that hoping the moving water would clear it.

After that I hooked up and pulled the sewer and releassee the water. I check the tank level and it shows empty. Now I can stand on the toilet pedal and after about 30 seconds, the water comes back up hthe pipe and we're clogged again. Now the tank has not water in it. If I use the snake it will go back down slowly "not fast" but as soon as I hold hte toilet pedal down it fills back up. Any one have a clue???

Rick
2003 F250 FX4 5.4L 4:10 Reese 15K Slider Hitch
2007 Gulftream Mako 29ft
RickM57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:23 AM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

Rick,

My first question is "Did it flush okay when you first purchased the RV?"

If so, then I would say that you definitely have a clog and your tank needs to be flushed throughly. If you do not have one, then I recommend you purchase a flexible flushing wand such as this. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...s/skunum=15716

Use it while connected to full hookups to go down into the toilet line and flush the crap out of the tank.

I also recommend that if you do not have already, is to purchase a clear adapter to connect between your sewer line and hose so that you can see what is actually coming out of you tank. Flush your tank many times by filling it almost completely full and then dumping it. Solid wastes do not flow out of the tank when it only has a small amount of water in it.

If you see a lot of toilet paper, then I would recommend that you change toilet paper. I have found Angel Soft to be the best TP since it breaks down better than any other, be it RV TP or household TP. It breaks down so completely that it is barely noticeable when the tank is dumped I have found. Yep, I watch what comes out of my tanks with the the clear adapter.

Hopefully by doing the above, your problem should be resolved. I also do not dump our Black Tank unless it is at least 1/2 full so that the solids drain out and I always flush the tank many times when it is dumped with the flushing system.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
RickM57

Default flushed

The unit has a built in flush system. I have flushed it several times as well as snaked it out. Also poured the sanatizer "blue" stuff that breaks down paper in it. We use Scotts and it says Septic safe. Its like there is something blocking the tube. Our batroom is up stairs so the tube is long and not straight.

Even after a successful snaking and the water goes down, without using it or putting anymore paper in it, I can stand there and hit the lever to flush and it comes right back up the pipe. Now you would think after I have used the snake several times and NOT used the toilet it would be cleared out. But it just fills back up. Very odd.
2003 F250 FX4 5.4L 4:10 Reese 15K Slider Hitch
2007 Gulftream Mako 29ft
RickM57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:49 AM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

Default Re: flushed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM57
The unit has a built in flush system. I have flushed it several times as well as snaked it out. Also poured the sanatizer "blue" stuff that breaks down paper in it. We use Scotts and it says Septic safe. Its like there is something blocking the tube. Our batroom is up stairs so the tube is long and not straight.

Even after a successful snaking and the water goes down, without using it or putting anymore paper in it, I can stand there and hit the lever to flush and it comes right back up the pipe. Now you would think after I have used the snake several times and NOT used the toilet it would be cleared out. But it just fills back up. Very odd.
It stills sound like you have a toilet paper dam/clog. Toilet paper being Septic safe does not mean that it is safe to use in an RV.

How I test TP to see if it is safe to use in an RV is to take a glass of water and put a single sheet of the TP in it, let it sit just a few minutes and stir it around and watch what happens, The TP should break down and turn into a slime mess. If it does not, it does not go into my RV.

A friend of mine had nearly the same problem as in Florida this past winter. His toilet would not flush down and sometimes it would "blow" back at them when they flushed.

What we found out was that they had a TP clog/dam right at the bottom of the pipe at the tank. It took many times flushing the tank and using my wand flusher down thru the toilet to get rid of the dam. He has a flush system also on his tank, but it would not break up the TP dam. After we got the tank all cleaned out and the toilet flushed okay. They switched TP to Angel Soft as I recommended and never had a problem the rest of the 2 months they were there.

You should have seen the TP that came out when we got the dam broke up. It came out in hunks. They had been using a brand of RV paper, one would think that would be good, but we tested it against the Angel Soft and it did not break down like it should. Yes, he was using chemicals that said it would help, but they didn't.

One other thing, some RV's tanks have a shelf in them so they can get over frames and such. If the black pipe inlet to the tank discharges onto this "shelf". solids can build up on them causing "dams". Usually extra water during a flush helps to keep these solids moving so that they cannot build up.

Good luck, it can frustrating I know,
Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
BlackSilver

When you say "new" do you mean this happened right from the first tankful?

If so, take it to the dealer and have it checked out.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
Coolbreeze

Default Black Tank Clog

Couple of things:

1) I agree with how your being coached. Dump full, clear pipe, change paper, etc.
2) I also have a Mako and the pipe is straight and I can see into the tank. Are you sure your's isn't straight.?I can also tell that since the black tank is the middle tank, e.g , fresh water is furthest back, then kitchen, then black then bathroom.
3) You must have an enormous clog and I could imagine a screw put through the two pipes to hold them together. I would be a dumb move but lets just say I could imagine it.
4) Always flush with a lot of water then your tank will fill up quicker. With four in my camper I always run out of gray tank capacity before black so if you dump extra water down the black who cares.
5) I always flush the black tank twice when I'm at the campground and often once when I get home.
6) Add a cup of Calgon Water Softener to the black tank to help things from getting stuck.