Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-30-2008, 01:20 AM   #1
rkeele

Send a message via MSN to rkeele
Default 2004 Crescendo

I just bought a 2004 used GS Crescendo. I am having a couple of issues so I thought I would ask if there are other GS Crescendo owners that could help me out with a few things.

1. I did not get any manuals, so I am having to figure out all the switches and how everything works on my own?
2. The invertor/charger went out while bringing the coach home last weekend. The dealer has agreed to fix. Any suggestions on upgrades or replacements?
3. My fuel mileage was only about 7MPG is anyone getting better then this and if so what are you doing or did you do?
4. The coach has 43000 miles but it seems that it is not smooth steering. I seem to be all over the lane. The coach seems to wonder and is hard to keep steady. The tires are about 30% worn. They do not seem to have been ever rotated. Any suggestions about how to get the coach smoother with the ride and steering. The coach has the air-ride supension and the air on the front and rear is set to about 130lbs.
5. There is a button for economy on the gear shift what is this for?

This is enough to get started. If there other Crescendo owners I would sure like to visit with you.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
mfa

1) You may be able to download the generic Gulf Stream Motorhome Owner's Manual from their website.
2) Dunno.
3) What engine is this? If it's the 8.1L gas engine, that's about what it gets.
4) Go to the tire manufacturer's website and look up the recommended pressure vs. weight table for your particular tire. You probably don't know the weight on each tire, so you may want to go to a public scale and determine the weight on each axle. Moving companies sometimes will weigh you. Put the correct pressure in your tires and then re-evaluate your ride.
5) Economy mode will upshift earlier, sometimes saving gas -- particularly in flat country.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
rkeele

Default 2004 Crescendo

It has the 330HP Cat.
I did get the charging problem resolved. I replaced the invertor with the new Xantrex 2500 Freedom 458 and that took care of that problem.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
rdlamb

1. Try GS, and the manufacturer of your transmission, and CAT for your engine.
2. I have the Xantrex 458, works very well.
3. This seems about right, in hill country. I have the 400 Cummins, and get between 6.2 in the mountains of Idaho and Montana to 8.4 mpg in the flat lands of Kansas and Texas.
4. The alignment is probably out. I have had this happen as well. Went to a Freightliner shop and they aligned my coach for $110. Big help.
5. Maybe on the flat lands the economy button works. Mainly it expands the timing of upshifts and downshifts to keep the engine RPMs as low as possible, with the theory of obtaining more MPG. It works on the flat lands, but plays hell with the transmission on the hills.

Also, I recommend you put a Safe-T-Steer on the coach. Mine took away the sway, involuntary movement from lane to lane after a semi passed me, and stabilized the whole front end. You'll be glad you did.

Safe Travels
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
rkeele

Default 2004 Crescendo

Thanks for the info about the steering add-on. I had been reading about this glad to hear from someone that has added this to their coach. I will have the front end aligned and change out the front tires I believe this will fix most of the problems. I have changed the convertor to the Xantrex 458 and it is doing a great job. Still have some minor short on the DC side. After about 1 day the new house batteries are dead. So another trip to the shop.

Thanks,
Old 05-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
rdlamb

Always something to work on in a coach.

The Safe-T-Steer has been more than worth the cost. It saved my bacon during high winds in New Mexico, road construction in California and during storms in Oregon.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
Kidred22

Default Gulf Straem Manuals

In April of this year I purchased a used GS. I was able to call GS directly and was sent the manuels for my 2005 RV.
They also gave me the contact numbers for the chassis manufacturer
The number I called for GS is 1-800-289-8787. You will need the Vin # when you call. I was very pleased with thier customer service.

Good Luck
Kidred22 is offline   Reply With Quote