PDA

View Full Version : Camping in the cold

darbyjudy
01-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Well I found out one thing for sure, my 2004 sunvoyager with atrium is not made for camping in the cold. I have only two round registers above the door opening where the heat comes out to heat the front end of the motor home. Now the bedroom has one on each side of the bed. It got down to about 26 degrees and it will not keep the motor home warm with this setup. I found that if I use a electric heater in the front along with the furnace it will do pretty good. Don't know why they didn't include a heat pump with my setup. I know for sure I would not want to try to camp up north in the winter with this setup. Al not having insulated windows does not help either. I think I have a warm weather motor home.

earljan34
01-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Darby, We use ours all winter a pelonis disk heater does the trick for the front of the MH, We have to leave the bathroom door open when not in use but that is the only cold spot. How big is your furnace? Ours is 40,000 btu but only have two outlets in bedroom and two in living area plus one in the bathroom and two in the bays, Is yours set up the same way? The only difference I can see is all the windows you have.

Earl

Beaufort NC
01-03-2008, 09:29 PM
That's interesting, because we were out in cool weather this past weekend with our 2006 8356, up in the NC mountains. Temps on New Years Eve were below freezing and we were very comfortable. Tuesday night, we stayed at WW in Greensboro, where the temps were in the mid 20s with winds of 25-30 miles per hour, still comfortable (at least temp-wise). The only real problem is the fact that the fans tend to be a bit noisy, so we only run the front unit when sleeping. Also, I'm concerned that the fans will run the house batteries down overnight, so I run the gen set if not hooked to shore power. I'd rate the heat system in our coach as pretty good. :D

holmesaw
01-05-2008, 10:18 PM
We left Ohio Wednesday morning. 11 degrees outside. Our 2005 Sun Voyager was pretty chilly all day and I can tell you that pumping 56 gallons of gas in 11 degrees is no picnic. We dry camped in a Flying J in Kentucky near the Tennesee line, about 30 degrees. We were pretty comfortable under a couple of blankets. In Oklahoma now, headed for Arizona, watching the snow reports.