PDA

View Full Version : How high is too high?

Patriots
02-06-2008, 03:17 PM
As some of you may know, I posted earlier about moving the leaf springs on my trailer to get some height. I found a place local to me ( Wright Trailers Earl, your guy wouldn't do it ) and it's going to give me about 5 inches. I need this to get the unit up and down my steep driveway without rubbing.

The unit has a slide, so it's pretty jacked already. I'm only slightly concerned about the trailer being too high and concerned about excess roll and such. The dealer told me there would be no issue with the exception of the wind resistance (duh) and the height of the entrance (I'll get a stepstool) I've seen trailers, particularly 5th wheels so high off the ground they had 4 fold out steps and a stepstool. I'm more concerned about traveling. Anyone have some input?

GStream40
02-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Go for it. Watch out for high crosswinds and keep your insurance paid up.

Ron

rdlamb
02-06-2008, 08:28 PM
I agree with Ron.
I had a 5th, and had to "build" up the springs to get an extra 3" of clearance so I could back up my steep driveway.
Took the trailer to a spring builder, who added a leaf, and did something called "setting up the second stage", I think.
Made the trailer stiffer, but the only thing I noticed was the extra inches made the first step farther up from the ground.
Safe travels
Rick

earljan34
02-07-2008, 03:58 PM
patriots, Sorry Don couldn't help you but is sounds as if you have everything under control. Go for it. :D

Earl

Patriots
02-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Well, to put it in perspective, I will probably need blocks under my stabilizer jacks. That, I've never seen before. I always dare to be different. 8)