PDA

View Full Version : Blown fuse for rear lights

darbyjudy
06-15-2008, 11:57 AM
My motor home is a 2004 Gulfstream Sunvoyager on a W22 workhorse frame.
I haven't used my motor home since January due to back surgery. I had the engine service on Saturday and also had it lubed. I checked the lights and found I had no lights from about the middle of the motor home back, including all the clearance lights and tail lights. I checked the fuses and found a fuse under the hood that was blown. It was only a 5 amp fuse. That seems an auful small fuse for that many lights? Would like to know what could have blown this fuse and is it the correct one.
Also think I should drain the fresh water tank and sterlize it with bleach. but not sure how to get the bleach into the tank unless I first pour it into the hose before I hook up to the motor home. Is this the correct way to do this. Also how much bleach should I put in the tank for 50 gal of water?
Thank you

rdlamb
06-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Hi Darby:
I assume that the lights question refers to the running and tail lights. I agree that the fuse is way to low to carry that load. But, I'm more concerned that you have a relay problem. If you have an owner's manual, check to see if there is a diagram of a light relay. This is usually a 30 amp plug in block/fuse.
Freshen you tank with a turkey baster. One full glug into your water tank usually suffices. Do not use the "scented" bleaches, and do not use the tablets that you mix with water.
I put a glug into my hose, then run it through the city water connection, to freshen that line as well.
Gives the water a huge chlorine smell and taste for a while.

darbyjudy
06-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Yes that is what I think also they must be a plug in relay. the 5 amp would be too small to carry that load I beleive. It was all the running lights from about the middle of the coach back and then the taillights. I found the fuse under the axcess cover in the front on the drivers side, in this panel were some heavy duty fuses along one side then a bunch of others and a couple of relays. I guess I had better watch it for a while and make sure it doesn't blow again. I very seldon run at night so it may have been out for some time. I always check the brake lights and the turn signals but I don't think it envolved those lights. Thanks for the comment on the water tank, I will just pour a slug into the hose and then turn the water on and it will then go into the tank. It has been a while since I have did this and I normally just drain and refill a few times to clean it out.

db77
06-16-2008, 06:51 AM
I have a 2006 Sun Voyager W24 and had the same problem. My fuse blew out when I had my toad hooked up and turned on the lights. It was fine with just the turn and brake lights but when I turned the headlights one it went. The dealer wired the wire harness so I am thinking that they may have crossed a wire. I never had the problem with this same harness and my old MH. If you find out anything else please post it as I will also do this. Good luck.

Jim
06-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Had the same problem with the Inderpendance with the v10 ford fuse under the driver's side dash

rob
09-22-2008, 08:50 AM
i had the same problem, i bought a used sunvoyager and when i turned on the running lights the back half went off in about 30 seconds, i couldn't find a blown fuse so i ran a new wire all the back and tied it in that way. what a pain that was. it's working but not sure that was the proper way to fix it. i looked for a broken wire in the harness but couldn't find one.