PDA

View Full Version : Slide tray for batteries

angelfish
08-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Have any of you clever folks rigged a slide to pull out the batteries on your coach. We have a Friendship G-8 and it is difficult to check the back batteries. We do the mirror thing but it sure would be nice to just pull them out on a sliding tray. Any ideas?

Angelfish

rdlamb
08-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Yes:

Home Depot has a great selection of heavy duty slides. I chose one that screws into the base of the compartment, and used a piece of marine grade 1/2" plywood for the floor. The "lock" is a small sliding door latch on the underside of the plywood that, when extended, slides through a hole in the slide that was there from the manufacturer.

Also, I have seen many places such as Camping World, and others, and some at Flea Markets (ie; in Yuma) that offer a service of putting slides in all of your compartments. For a price.

RayChez1
08-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Mine come from the Gulfstream factory with them already. They are heavy duty, but I am not sure who manufactured them. It is too hot here in California to go check right now, but when I get a chance I will check to see who makes them. :)

quikduk
08-27-2008, 03:22 PM
I made up my own by modifying my original Kwikee battery trays.

GS Battery Tray Modification (http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3961074854/m/55110141341)

It works o.k. but I will be adding triple HD slides to the trays to get the batteries a little further out. It isn't perfect but was my only solution for adding the second pair of 6 volt batteries.

Diehnel
02-06-2010, 07:22 PM
I decided against a tray and installed a semi-automatic watering system instead.

RayChez1
02-06-2010, 07:50 PM
I decided against a tray and installed a semi-automatic watering system instead.

The watering system is OK, but if you need to change the batteries it is so much easier to lift those six volt batteries out. I believe they weight around 60 lbs each. Even with the tray pulled out on mine just carrying them from the toad to the coach I hurt my back. Those things are heavy or maybe it is that I am getting old. 67years old already. LOL. And even the two chassis batteries are heavy, but I never changed those out myself, I had two of them 12 volt batteries installed a couple of years ago at Camper World in Las Vegas.