PDA

View Full Version : VT 365 Turbo Dump

Georunner
09-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Since driving a large diesel is new to me, this may be old hat to some, but might benefit some others. I have been a little concerned about the turbo dump noise our engine makes. I have been assured by International that it is ok, but I still don't like it much. I discovered this past weekend, that I can greatly infuence the amount of "dumping" my engine does. I was driving in the mountains of Colorado, where we do most of our camping, and on nearly each hill it would dump several times. I noticed that on the dirt roads we were on, that I never got past 40 mph, and most of the dumping occured just at the top of a hill or anytime the transmission shifted to 5th, and this coincided with me letting off the throtle a bit. So, I put the trany in 4th and eliminated at least 80% of the problem. The engine does not work hard in 4th at 35 or 40 and I like it lots better. Also, if I am careful to stay on the throttle as the rig shifts, no turbo dump. It still happens some, but any where near the frequency before.

mfa
09-30-2008, 08:14 PM
For the uninformed among us, what is a "turbo dump"? :?:

Texas TC
10-02-2008, 09:12 AM
The turbo dump is a chirping sound the engine makes from the turbo when shifting to a higher gear. I have also noticed it only occurs when shifting in to fourth or fifth depending on the load you are putting on the engine. If fully accelerating, I don't think I have ever heard the sound. It generally occurs when shifting with a lighter load on the engine while going into the highest gears. Driving slower and eliminating fifth gear would tend to abate the circumstance that causes the dump.

10-30-2008, 08:35 PM
DELETED