PDA

View Full Version : SUPERNOVA RIDE !!!

chuckyboy
12-14-2008, 11:06 PM
my supernova,6400, has 8000 miles on odometer. had rear shocks installed ,ride still sucks. oscillates bad on bridges, CAN SOMEONE HELP ME? .WILL A STIFFER SPRING HELP ME , OR HURT ? THANKS

Texas TC
12-15-2008, 03:58 PM
I would think the springs should not be changed. I have not driven a 6400 but have had some concerns about them since they were introduced. I have one of the first 6331 models made in early 2007 and I really think the setup is best for the short frame coaches. First of all, the wheelbase to length ratio on the 34' is .65 which is the best ratio I have seen in the industry. The 6400 ratio is .58 even with the longer wheelbase which gives more rear hang over to cause the coach to handle worse in certain situations. Second, my coach fully loaded with driver, passenger, gear, fuel, and water weighs 21,600# on a certified truck scale which leaves a lot of extra CCC before hitting the GVWR of 25,999# listed in the coach as gross acceptable weight. I have not seen what a 6400 weighs in the same configuration. Third, the balance on the 6331 is 42.5% on the front axle and 57.5% on the rear (again loaded as described above).

I may be totally off base here because I have not seen the statistics I have listed for mine on the 6400. It just seems to me that the extra overhang and weight in the rear of those models. not to mention the extra capacity for water, must take away from the balance attained with the 6331.

Mine is not perfect my wife reminds me. It is perfect from the drivers seat but is a bit bumpy in the rear of the coach. Unlike some who have posted here that they have actually broke mirrors and wood. All I have ever done is bounced some clothes off the hangers in the wardrobe closet. Other than that, all is great with our coach and we have over 24000 miles to date on it.

I hope you find some resolution to your problem. I just don't think springs are the answer. I am affraid that it is in the balance of that size coach. JMHO.

pchicky
12-15-2008, 08:57 PM
What year model is your 6400? I have an '09 model and have not had any of the bounce problems that you have mentioned. I wonder if they have done something different on the suspension for the '09 models.

I have traveled with the tanks about 2/3 full (which means more weight on the back, and still no bouncing issues.

As T.C. mentions, the ride in the coach is a little bumpier than up front, but it's 100% better than the Kodiak chassis I had before.

JimBob
12-15-2008, 09:16 PM
TC has the 34, I've got a 37, and Paul has the 6400 like you have, we're sort of the 3 Musketeers of Super Nova on the forum.

Like my compadres, we are aware of a real bumpy ride in the back if you are lying on the bed, but like TC, have never broken anything in the wardrobes in the back.

There is a forum contributor Jeff, I belive, who has talked about adding a 10-12 thousand dollar air ride suspension in the past, and speaks highly of the addition, not sure if he has the same symptoms or which model he has.

I'm liking TC's synopsis of the situation, while I'm not an engineer, it probably has more to do with the long overhangs and weight distribution more than anything else. I believe each of us had Senecas or similar models before we owned Super Novas, and all of us agree that the Nova's ride is markedly better. I do know that Senecas were voluntarily upgrading the rear springs on their 36 models due to a somewhat spongy ride in the 08 models, anyway.

Keep us posted on your situation, please.

Travel safely, happy holidays

Jim Bob
08Super Nova
Greenwood, SC
http://jimbobmissbetteandbuster.blogspot.com

chuckyboy
12-16-2008, 01:19 AM
HEY THREE MUSKETEERS, MY SUPERNOVA IS 2008,SUSPENSION IS IDENTICAL 2009-2008. HAD MY COACH SCALED THIS WEEKEND,FULLY LOADED WITH NO PASSENGERS,(WATER, PROPANE FULL,140 GALLLONS OF FUEL,) WAS 18700 REAR ,7000 FRT. 25700 TOTAL . PUT WIFE ,KIDS CLOTHES ,ETC,FOOD ETC, AND IWOULD HAVE TO BE OUT OF MY MIND TO PULL INTO SCALES !!. AS FAR AS AIR SUSPENSION ,THEY SHOULD OF PUT IT ON AT FACTORY! . SPOKE TO ENGINEER AT INTERNATIONAL, THEY HAD NO IDEA THAT GULFSTREAM EXTENDED FRAME RAILS 8 TO 10 FT. WHEN I TOLD HIM THE LAYOUT OF COACH ,AND EVERYTHING BEHIND REAR AXLE, HE WAS SCRATCHING HIS HEAD ! I TRULY BELEIVE THE ENGINEERS AT GULSTREAM HAD THEIR HEADS UP THEIR ASS WHEN THEY DESIGNED 6400!!!!

Georunner
12-16-2008, 10:07 AM
I don't want to question your scales, but your weights are so much different than mine, that if they are correct, I would agree something in the engineering is amiss. I have the 6331 and my weights are #9,500 on the front axle, and #12,000 on the rear, fully loaded with fuel, water, holding tanks, wife, dogs etc. I would wonder where over #4,000 came from. Extending the frame and making the additions to the 40 ft model don't seem to add up to 2 tons. If they do, I can see why your rig would bounce in the rear. Don't have a solution, just observing and commenting.

Texas TC
12-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Geo, your weights are almost identical to mine. Should be, same size coach.

Chucky, your weights confirm my concerns about the 6400. It is almost at maximum weight for the chassis. The loaded weight is at the rear of the coach which unloads the weight on the front axle and skews the balance.
Maybe you do need to change the rear springs. Your weight on the rear axle exceeds 17,500# that is listed as the capacity of the springs on my coach. If yours is the same, you are not getting any spring action at all and they are probably completely compressed. IMHO.

pchicky
12-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Wow....this is starting to get interesting.....I had mine weighed, albeit with only the diesel tanks and propane full and nothing in the water or grey/black tanks....it came in at 22,863, which 2837 less than your 6400....even if I filled my tanks full (150 gal fresh and 104 gal grey and black @ 8.34 pounds per gallon, or 2118 lbs), I'd still be 719 lbs lighter. You didn't mention if your grey or black water was filled when you did your weight measurements....I'm assuming you did, or our difference would be much higher.

With the fresh water tank being 150 gal. capacity and being located behind the rear wheels, I can understand the additional weight providing more momentum in a "bouncy" road situation.

Do you pull any kind of trailer that puts tongue weight on the hitch? That would definitely amplify the problem given the distance from the rear wheel to the hitch point on the 6400.

I had my water tank filled 3/4 of the way full on a 600 mile trip and didn't get any bounce, so I'm still puzzled why yours did, unless the additional weight of grey and black water tanks causes it or a trailer does.

Hmmmm, the mysteries of the universe.

I'll say this though....the Kodiak I had was a 33 footer and that dang thing was flat out unstable (I'm talking real white knuckle driving) until I put a Roadmaster sway control kit in the rear and upfront. I don't have that problem at all with my 6400.....

PieEye
12-16-2008, 07:32 PM
I've only driven mine about 500 miles so far and it was completly empty except for the fuel tanks. I haven't experienced any bounce to speak of and in general I'm very happy with the way it rides. Granted, its not the same ride as a class a on full air ride, but then again, its a truck.....and thats one of the many things I like about it. I'm running down to Florida this weekend for a few days and plan of doing it loaded to the gills including the full fresh water tanks to see how it rides.

Texas TC
12-16-2008, 07:34 PM
On the 6331, I always run the fresh water tank full. Since this model has a very short overhang, it tends to add weight to the rear of the coach and improves the ride. Since this model has so much excess CCC, I keep the basements loaded and water tank loaded to try to compress the springs just as much as I can. Even loaded, I have over 4000# of CCC left. The extra CCC allows me to tow my Jeep Wrangler and not be even at the GVWR and no where close to the GCWR as advertised for the chassis.

It is very interesting that two 6400 coaches are so inconsistent in overall weight when my coach and other 6331's are almost identical on the scale.

Paul, do you have the breakdown for the front and rear axle weights on your 6400?

chuckyboy
12-16-2008, 07:55 PM
we need someone with another 6400 to weigh and compare,,i love my coach, plenty of power,great fuel consumption,looks cool inside and out, but let me tell you something,i am not happy with the ride!!! IHAVE DRIVEN IT WITH WATER ,WITHOUT ,BLACK AND GREY TANKS FULL OR EMPTY,IT JUST DOESN"T MATTER STILL I ASK SOMEONE WILL HEAVIER SPRINGS HELP ME OR HURT ME ????

pchicky
12-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Chuckyboy.....I have no experience or have not heard of anybody putting heavier springs under the coach to stop the bounce. However, having goofed around with a bunch of classic cars and dealt with weak springs before, I can tell you that putting a heavier spring under a vehicle will make the compression less during a jolt, but the tradeoff is a harsher ride. Personally, if I didn't like the ride, I'd do exactly what you did first (heavier shocks) and then I'd go for air bags.

Let me ask a few clarifying questions....when you hit a dip in the road (maybe similar to going over a bridge), does your rig bounce once, twice, three times, or all the way across the bridge? Does it make the rig feel "out of control" any, or is it just annoying? What kind of shocks did you put on the rear? Also, just out of curiousity, what does the weight card in the coach (mine is located in the cabinet over the kitchen sink) say as the base weight (mine is 22,700) and the GVWR (mine is 25,999)? I'm just wondering what they said your should weigh....maybe that will help clarify any difference between the weight? Also, I have stuff in the basement, but they are only 1/2 full at the moment (and nothing alarmingly heavy), so maybe there is some difference at the scales between our rigs based upon that.

T.C., the weights are in my coach, which is not stored at my house at the moment....I can't recall the exact weights front to rear, just the total.

Texas TC
12-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Chuckyboy,
You may have a point on your discussion with International concerning stretching the frame rails on the 6400 chassis. Following are the spec's I copied from ITE website:

Chassis International Chassis

Engine International V-8 Diesel
300 Horsepower

Transmission Allison 2500MH

Brakes Hydraulic with 4 channel ABS

GVWR 25,500 lbs

GCWR 33,000 lbs

Wheelbase 140" ? 266"

Length 34'1" ? 37'2"

Fuel Tank 140 gallons

Please note the wheelbase is listed from 140-266" and the lengths are listed at 34'1"-37'2". All coaches are built on the 266" wheelbase except the 6400 which has been stretched to 278". Having said that, the ITE website clearly shows the interior of a 6400 so they must have known that GS was using the chassis in configurations greater than the 266" they had specified.

It looks like ITE may be trying to pass the buck back to GS rather than coming up with a solution to ride problems that the stretching may have caused.

When I first got my coach (being one of the first generation built), it came with 617 gears. When I spoke to International about it running too high RPM's on the highway, they told me that gear package was ordered by GS. GS, through International, subsequently changed the gears to 529 at someones expense, not mine. Now, all GS/International chassis coaches come with the 529 standard. The point is, International was not much help but GS stepped up to the plate and made things right.

JimBob
12-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Gang, my 37 foot has a sticker on the drivers door that says frame extensions were done at Mor Ride International Elkhart, Indiana. I think Mor Ride does most of the frame work (read extensions) for the class C's on the road... In any case, the language of the sticker, as in "Mor Ride International" would indicate to me that any frame extensions were done with International's engineering's blessing. Just an opinion.

I think the process is that the frame rails are purchased by Gulfstream after a commitment for so many chassis from International. Some of those are then stretched by Mor Ride, depending on the model, and Gulfstream bolts on the box. This would apply for C's and A's it seems to me.

Guess the industry knows what the limits are by the various chassis frames that are out there. If there is an issue, on goes the tag axle. Guess 40-42 feet is the break point for A's, not sure what it is for C's but I know that Senecas had a world of issues with their 36 foot model. We had a 34 Seneca, and it was tolerable. Texas TC has repeatedly said his 34 foot model Nova owns a steady ride.

Our Nova 37 bounces in back on cement interstates, and you can't sleep in the bed while you are headed down the road, which you could do with the Seneca, but other than that, we have no complaints.

JimBob
08 Super Nova
Greenwood SC

pchicky
12-18-2008, 07:59 PM
JimBob: My 6400 has the same sticker in the door. While I was checking things out, I pulled up my ISIS report from International to see the raw detail of everything the International put on the chassis. Here's what is says, verbatum, regarding the axles:

Front Axles: "AXLE, FRONT NON-DRIVING, {International I-100SG}I-Beam TYPE, 10,000-lb Capacity"

Front Suspension: "SUSPENSION, FRONT, SPRING Parabolic, Taper Leaf, 10,000-lb Capacity; with shock absorbers"

Rear Axles: "AXLE, REAR, SINGLE {Dana Spicer 17060S} Single Reduction, 17,500-lb capacity, with 190 wheel ends"

Rear Suspension: "SUSPENSION, RR, SPRING, SINGLE Vari-Rate; 18,500-lb capacity, with 4500 lb auxillary rubber spring"

So, taking the weakest components (front and rear axles), then technically you could get 27,500 lbs on the chassis to reach the engineering limit of the components (assuming your didn't put too much weight all in the back and overload the rear axles). Probably for safety reasons and for front/rear balance and to give a safety margin, the front axle limit (by Intenational) is 7937 lbs and 17,500 for the rear, for a total of 25,437. The Gulfstream post shows GVWR at 25,900 and unloaded weight on my model 6400 at 22,708 (includes full diesel fuel). Taking the lower number from the International sticker (25,437) from the unloaded weight give me 2,729 lbs available for water in tanks, people and "stuff", which is more than enough capacity.

So, it doesn't matter if you go by International or Gulfstream numbers, the chassis can handle the load, with room to spare on the 6400 model. Also, this is a truck chassis, so it's gonna ride like a truck chassis (stiff). And with a longer overhang you probably will get more "giddyup" if you hit a good rise in the road and have a bunch of stuff loaded in the back. That's just physics. Yup, there are things everybody can do to soften it up, but it gets down to the cost side. I was use to getting the crap beat out of me by the Kodiak Four Winds so the SuperNova is like heaven to me, and it rides as good as a 29' Winnebago Class C I had as my first motorhome.

With that said, I'm at a loss to explain how our new friend Chuckyboy has a bouncing issue on his rig.....my 6400 hasn't exhibited this in the least bit.

So, that's about the extent of my knowledge on the topic....

Texas TC
12-18-2008, 08:43 PM
My ISIS report has the same suspension definitions. GS sticker has my empty weight at 19700# and GVWR at 25,900. On the door panel, International lists GVWR at 25,999#.

chuckyboy
12-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Let me ask you musketeers a question ,what state are you guys from ?? I am from the north east ,ny , and the roads and highways aren't that great. If i lived in arizona or new mexico where the climate is usually warm , and the roads don't get beat up by snowplows ,potholes ,etc. my 6400 would ride like a class A . come on over to and take a ride on the new jersey turnpike and tell me how your 6400 rides !!! . and about my "giddy up " ,it has been so bad that i had to pull over to control it ! please all you 6400 owners, stop reading the numbers off your doorjamb ,or going by the gulfstream numbers, put your coaches on a scale fully loaded ,water, fuel ,and stuff, you will be surprised ! :lol:

pchicky
12-20-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm in SC as is Jim Bob.....I use to live in Delaware, so I know what you're talking about with the roads being bad up there. And the New Jersey Turnpike isn't fun in a car, much less a motorhome. So, I can understand what you're saying about the ride of your SuperNova......wouldn't doubt it for a minute.

We're just trying to be helpful (numbers and such), not trying to deny that your problem is real.

Next time I'm back up at the truckstop for a fillup, I'll weigh in again just to see what the numbers read this go round.

JimBob
12-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Jim Bob as was mentioned, resides in South Carolina. Before that, I lived in New Jersey, and drove into New York City to work. I had a 30 year career of constant traveling, which has included motor homes since 1984, and I've owned 9 of them, up to our current Super Nova.

My bonafides for commenting on the current thread include 20,000 miles of ownership of a Jayco Seneca, which was driven coast to coast, up to Yellowstone, and back, as well as two loops up to Maine from SC, and to our summer placement at Meridith, NH; including the dreaded I-10 through Louisiana and plenty of red and blue roads, since I'm not really one to drive the Interstates just for fun.

I also have as of this minute 11,000 miles in our 08 Super Nova, again, driven from SC to Texas, up to Oklahoma, another circle up to Indiana and multiple smaller trips to Florida and again, a trip this summer up to Maine and New Hampshire.

That being said, and let me preface my post with some full disclosure, as of this minute, I just drove 540 miles in a Toyota Camry with a 12 and 8 year old fighting most of way, and a wife who is totally frazzled, just lost her mother, (were on our way to New Jersey, where your crappy roads are located). May not be in the very chirpiest of moods.

As Musketeer Paul said, there is no denial that you seem to be mightily unhappy with the ride on your coach. The assumption here would be that you test drove your coach before purchase. Hope you did. Assume that you did your due dilligence, and asked around, as we all did, Guessing that you might have checked in to a forum or two, to see what previous owners have to say, good or bad, and so forth.

Clearly, the coach is not living up to your expectations. Clearly, the coach as constructed and rides, seems to live up to ours as owners.

As it states in the header for the forum it is for "Gulf Stream owners "coming together to help each other."
As I read the thread, we attempted to do just that- offer testimony to our experience. It's there for you to use, or not.

If you are so disinclined to be so unhappy with your purchase, if you're not too upside down in your ownership picture, perhaps you might trade the 6400 in on another C+ that you might find that doesn't offer so harsh a ride, after, of course you test drive it for a few hundred miles, fully loaded, weighed, and certified by the manufacturer that the ride you seek will be delivered as such.

As for me, I'm going to maintain my status as a Super Nova Cheerleader,
and continue to proudly show off the coach to the many fans we get at most every campground we go to.

Happy holidays. Parsippany New Jersey tomorrow.

JimBob
08 Super Nova

Texas TC
12-20-2008, 06:32 PM
I live in Texas. Roads are generally pretty good. I go to Florida about four times a year and the roads in Louisiana and Mississippi are the pits. Those are the only roads that I drive that would be similar to yours. It is not fun to drive on them but they do not cause me any real problems. I can still run at 70+ mph. I wish I could give you a definitive answer to your problem but the 34' is so much lighter and shorter and has very little overhang that it is almost apples to oranges in comparison.

chuckyboy
12-21-2008, 09:46 AM
ok musketeers, sorry if i started on the wrong foot , really would appreciate some help or advice on what to do .like all of you, we all spent alot of money on our coaches, just trying to make the ride as smooth as possible ,ir is it impossible ? again i will ask will the next size spring be too harsh of a ride?? is bigger better in this situation? with all the "extra " weight would the coach even notice abigger spring?

Texas TC
12-21-2008, 12:49 PM
IMHO, and I think someone mentioned this before, I would try air bags before I changed out the springs. Air bags would stabilize the rear and would cost a great deal less than changing the springs. If they do the trick, fine. If not, springs might be the next option. Also IMHO, I am a little concerned about changing to stiffer springs.

Back to my coach, the 34' is so light that I never compress the rear springs to get them soft. Loaded I only am putting 12,400# on the 17,500# capacity which I feel adds to the stiffness in ride at the rear of the coach.
Having said that, your numbers show that you have exceeded the capacity which may be causing the bad ride you are experiencing.

The decision is up to you. If it were me, I would try the air bag route first.
The opinions rendered are mine alone. No GS/International engineering opinions are stated.

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

JimBob
12-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Chucky-

No worries, Mate! We're all a bunch of happy campers here. My foot feels fine-

RE: your post, there is a poster, Jeff Hiatt who lurks and has in the past posted a wonderful page of upgrades he has done on his 6372, which is my model, or at least the 37 foot version. With regard to suspension and ride, he has installed air bags, and states that when he did so, his problems seemed to have vanished. He has done lots of other things too, some with GS/International blessing, maybe some without.

I'm sending you a private message with the page attached, let me know if you got it.

We arrived here in Parsnippany, and the boys are out in the "snow" hurling snowballs at each other and getting soaked.

I'm the excited one, we're off to New York City tomorrow for a free day of doing the sites.

As TC said, keep up posted on what your thinking/doing, please, speaking for me, I figure that if we are a band of brothers, for better or worse, if we share information good and bad, we'll make the best of whatever comes up with our units together.

All Best, and Happy Holidays,

Jim Bob
08 Super Nova
Currently in Parsippany, New Jersey

PieEye
12-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Well, I might as well add some fuel to this fire. We just got back from a 1000 mile round trip (first one) in our 6400. Coach was fully loaded with all our gear, wife, 2 kids, clothes, food, coolers, toys, etc. On the way out we ran with full fuel, propane, and full fresh water tanks, empty waste tanks. I thought the ride was very exceptable. It would bounce once or twice but only on really steep road transitions, but nothing I would consider even close to excessive. In general I thought the ride was fine, very comfortable. Set the cruise controll and with a finger or two on the wheel just sat back and relaxed.

On the way home we ran with all the same stuff minus some food and the water tank was about 1/4 full. Without all the water weight in the rear, I'll admit, it didnt bounce as much on the rough transitions, so I beleive the full fresh water tank does have some effect on the ride, but not enough that it would stop me from running with them full.

After stopping for fuel on the return trip I ran it across the scales. Here are the numbers for comparison.

steer axle = 8720 lbs
drive axle = 15640 lbs

gross weight = 24360

Texas TC
12-23-2008, 12:17 AM
PieEye,

Thanks for posting your numbers and experience with your SuperNova. As you said, that certainly adds fuel to the fire because your weights are so far off from Chuckyboy's. I don't understand how two coaches of the same model could have a difference of over 3000# on the rear axle.

Your numbers are certainly within the weight ranges for each axle while his are over capacity on the rear axle. This is certainly a strange situation.

I do hope Chuck finds a solution to his issues. Most of us are so happy with our coaches and his does seem to have some issues we are not experiencing. I hope GS and International work in tandem to find a fix.

t0951
01-14-2009, 04:39 PM
We just returned from our annual Chicago to CA trip along Route 66. Our 6400 is getting air bags in the spring! We can not read or play cards, or board games. The MB bed is impossible to sleep in while on the road, my 15 yr. old got bounced to the ceiling on one bad bump. We have had problems with the slide bouncing up and down. We had an exterior crack in the fiberglass on the forward upper corner of the wall slide. We had it fixed under warranty and now it is back again. We were told to use the stablizing bars on the slide when we travel. Has anyone used these? Our dealer told us that we didn't need to use them. What a hassle it would be, everytime we stop for lunch or to sleep we pull out the slides, to have to remove and replace the stablizers would be a major pain. I will not travel a long distance again without changing to air bags. It feels like the whole motorhome is going to break in half. My husband installed air ride seats in the front and doesn't know what the problems is with the rest of us. I took over driving for about 5 minutes and he was back up front wanting to drive, no way he could relax in the back! All four kids, two dogs and myself were fighting to sit up front.

galena
01-14-2009, 07:04 PM
I have to add my 2 cents worth to this post. We just came back from a 1200 mile trip to Florida over the holidays and we are very pleased with our SuperNova 6400! Yes the ride is not an air ride, but I can only remember once or twice where there was more of a "bounce" than is desired. Our daughter travels on the couch/table and either watches movies or draws. I try to travel somewhere between 60 to 67 mph. I am comparing to our 5th wheel and our Seneca, and the ride is much better. My biggest complaint with the Seneca ride was on the highway when trucks passed, one would get blown to the side and it was always very intense in heavy traffic. I don't know what to add about your ride concerns and exactly what is the difference, but I "usually" travel with tank 3/4 full of water and we have the storage compartments full on "stuff". I have not weighted and probably will not as long as things are OK for us. Good luck on your decision.

cafseth
01-17-2009, 07:43 AM
We have a 2008 SN6400, well it was sold as a 2008 but it is on a 2007 chassis?? Anyways we looked into the ride issue as well. This is what we found: The Rear Axel is good for 17500lbs and the Rear suspension is good for 18500lbs with a 4500lb Auxillary Rubber Spring. Empty our 6400 weighs 15500lbs on the rear axel. EMPTY the unit is riding on the rubber auxilary spring, so the suspension is close to its max, now put some water and clothes etc in the unit behind the axel, not only is the suspension maxed out the axel is also maxed out. International brought this to my attention and advised me to get in touch with Gulfstream ASAP. International will not touch the unit as they are concerned about the Axel and how much weight is hanging behind the axel. We will see what happens. Something is wrong here.

cafseth
01-17-2009, 08:10 AM
We have our 2008 SN 6400 in the International shop right now. They are concerned about the weight behind the axel as well. Just weighed it yeaterday and empty the weight on the rear axel was 15500lbs...thats EMPTY.

cafseth
01-18-2009, 06:28 AM
I agree with all your comments pchicky, my concern is the weight behind the rear axel and the axel only being good for 17, 500lb. if you put 1500 lbs (150 GAL) of water 5ft behind the axel you are putting allot more than just 1500lbs on the axel it would be more like 3500lbs on it. Our SN6400 Empty is 15500lbs on the rear axel so we are exceeding the axel limit with just the water.

I am not to sure, I am just looking for some advice on this to see if my concerns are valid. My international Dealer doesnt like the set up and they will even look at installing the air suspension because of the axel rating????

chuckyboy
01-18-2009, 11:32 AM
AND YOU GUYS THOUGHT I WAS NUTS !!

pchicky
01-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Chuckyboy......nah, we didn't think you're nuts and we always believed you....just trying to make some sense out of why some have this problem and why some don't. Unless they did something different (either Gulfstream or International) between the '08 and '09 models, you would think they would all exhibit the bounce problem.

Jim&Karin
02-09-2009, 06:52 PM
My 2008 Endura 6362 rides like a truck, but definitely does not ride rough enough to throw anyone off the master bed. My two dogs (90 lbs and 15 lbs) ride on the couch without being thrown off. I live on Long Island and have traveled through New York City on the Cross Bronx Expressway and on the New England Thruway. No real problems. My 37 ft coach had a ccc of 3500 lbs with gear, food, full propane & full fresh water. Gulfstream will fix something if your bother them enough. I wish Chuckie best of luck. Do not let Gulfstream tell you no, maybe a trip to the factory might be helpful. I had an old Class A Diesel Pusher on Freightliner chassis which only had a ccc of 800 lbs and the air suspension ride was teribble when loaded. I only had this unit for approximately one year because when I check it on a scale, it only had 75 lbs to spare! I traded the unit in on a second Class A Diesel Pusher Freightliner chassis unit with a ccc of 4500 lbs and loved it. Same as I love my current 6362 Endura. Coach manufacturers should only supply motor homes with sufficient ccc. What does your Gulfstream posted weight rating sheet show as capacities? My unit's sheet was fairly close ~420 lbs higher on ccc, which I atributed to the weight of my loaded gear and food.

t0951
03-09-2009, 11:34 AM
We have an additional problem that I think is directly related to the weight issue on the back axle. Our two rear power gear jacks have given way and are bent at an angle, it seems to be a combination of weight and bad weld joints. Gulfstream is trying to tell us that we dragged the jacks on something and that caused the bent jacks. We also had a previous crack in the fiberglass at the top of the wall slide behind the driver's seat which was fixed under warranty just before our last trip. The company that fixed the crack told us that Gulfstream was not letting him fix the crack the way he wanted and we would probably be back again. Now that the crack has reappeared in the same place, Gulfstream is saying that because we dragged the jacks it caused the crack to reappear and they will not fix it. I am fighting with them now. We did not drag the jacks, the weight and lack of proper welding joints caused the jacks to give. I would check your jack welding joints.

Kimbo
04-14-2009, 12:59 PM
I've been following this thread since my husband and I would like to improve the riding comfort of our Supernova.

Has anyone has installed an air suspension system or updated the rear suspension of their Super C to help smooth out the ride? We are researching if this is worthwhile on our Supernova.
BTW, I couldn't find Jeff Hiatt's post about his mods/upgrades.

Texas TC
04-14-2009, 04:34 PM
I, too, did a search for Jeff's information and it appears it has been deleted from our forum. I wish he had left the information on here because he had done more suspension work on his International chassis than anyone I have seen. I talked to him on the phone on a few occasions and he really liked working on his coach and trying some out of the box ideas. I cannot find his phone number in my files to try to contact him again.

RJ82much
04-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Jeff apparently chose to remove his posts, for whatever reason. I cannot even locate his username. I recall his detailed posts, but have no record of them.

Sorry I cannot help.

Nanaeve
07-05-2009, 08:42 PM
I too was interested in the mods Jeff did and was able to get a copy of those mods from Jim Murray, who posts to this forum. You could ask him to forward Jeffs list of mods (637K -12 Pages in PDF). There are several good (And Costly) ideas there but some are still open as Jeff sold his unit after buying another make, boy someone got a deal on his coach after he spent $20k + on his mods. The transmissions are programable to be 6 speeds, with a second overdrive, but Allison won't program the 2nd overdrive with out Internationals blessing and GS did't buy that option, so we all know where that leads to. After warranty is up I'm going to try and get the local shop to do it and pay for the privilage as it would drop cruising (65mph) rpms to 1900 from 2300. When cruising on the flats of Nevada and the other Great Plains areas I think it would be handy, any one done a overdrive mod to get the rpms down at cruise?

Nanaeve
07-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Jim Murray , AKA "JimBob" was kind enough to send me the mod info, hopefully he won't be overwelmed with requests for that info.

chuckyboy
12-01-2010, 06:18 AM
installed the air ride, still not happy ,ride is worse in the front end of coach, trading it in!!!! the 6400 is apiece of s*^%@#t !clutch fan noise ,fuses melting, slides work,slides don't work ,cabin noise ,passengers not comfortable,bed motor not strong ,body cracks,abs lights, turbo farts and lastly driving on eggshells ,not knowing when injectors or turbo will blow out !! 99.99% 6400's have allthe same issues. they are all JUNK , please anyone thinking of buying one , GET IT OUT OF YOUR HEAD , THEY ALL SUCK :P :twisted:

Texas TC
12-01-2010, 08:50 AM
I am truly sorry things did not work out for you with your coach! Good luck with whatever coach you decide to purchase next.

TxTC

cd6400
12-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Had my 6400 weighed on a trip this summer. Fuel tanks were half full and had about 1/3 full water tank. Front axle: 8460 lbs Rear axle: 16340.

jbyo
12-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Chuckyboy, Thanks for all your input. After reading this whole post I'm having second thoughts about picking one of these up. Had an opportunity, pick one up cheap, now I know why.
JB

pchicky
12-10-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that Chuckyboy had all the problems with his 6400. I think all the Internationals are noisy in the cab area, so that's the nature of the beast.

Just for the record, I've had my 6400 for two years now and have $11K miles on it. The only real issue I've had is with the yellow engine light coming on...when I started adding diesel fuel additive, that solved the problem. I haven't had any cracking of the fiberglass, melted fuses, slides not working, etc. that he experienced with his coach.

I'm NOT saying he didn't have those problems.....just to be clear on that point. I'm just saying that I don't agree with his statement that they are all pieces of junk, because I happen to love mine and haven't had the same experience that he has. However, if I had all those problems, I probably would be just as unhappy. My experience with the coach has been very different, that's all.

chuckyboy
12-18-2010, 09:29 AM
spoke to a 6400 new owner ,last week at an rv show in fla. loves his new coach, but is very unhappy with the ride.told him my history with my 6400,also spoke to him about this forum to help him with some issues he was having. i told him he should of road tested it before he purchased it . he couldn't believe every screw in motorhome had to be re- tightened.oh and his coach has cracks also. so all you 6400 owners should also check your coach for cracks . what a disapointment for this new motorhome owner.............?

cd6400
12-18-2010, 09:54 AM
chuckyboy,

What year is his coach and where were these cracks? I have 2011 6400 and haven't see any damage such as cracks but I have had to reinstall some trim and tighten up a few things.

Texas TC
12-19-2010, 04:34 PM
HEY THREE MUSKETEERS, MY SUPERNOVA IS 2008,SUSPENSION IS IDENTICAL 2009-2008. HAD MY COACH SCALED THIS WEEKEND,FULLY LOADED WITH NO PASSENGERS,(WATER, PROPANE FULL,140 GALLLONS OF FUEL,) WAS 18700 REAR ,7000 FRT. 25700 TOTAL . PUT WIFE ,KIDS CLOTHES ,ETC,FOOD ETC, AND IWOULD HAVE TO BE OUT OF MY MIND TO PULL INTO SCALES !!. AS FAR AS AIR SUSPENSION ,THEY SHOULD OF PUT IT ON AT FACTORY! . SPOKE TO ENGINEER AT INTERNATIONAL, THEY HAD NO IDEA THAT GULFSTREAM EXTENDED FRAME RAILS 8 TO 10 FT. WHEN I TOLD HIM THE LAYOUT OF COACH ,AND EVERYTHING BEHIND REAR AXLE, HE WAS SCRATCHING HIS HEAD ! I TRULY BELEIVE THE ENGINEERS AT GULSTREAM HAD THEIR HEADS UP THEIR ASS WHEN THEY DESIGNED 6400!!!!

cd6400:

I found the earlier post above, he has a 2008 model.

TxTC

chuckyboy
12-19-2010, 09:22 PM
thanks for the help tex, i had a 2008 ,the gentleman i spoke to in fla. has a 2009.

eldercaddy
12-24-2010, 07:21 AM
Hi chuckyboy. I think I need some photos of your nova for I don't know what to suggest if don't have photos posted. Sorry for my stupid request. :D

chuckyboy
12-24-2010, 07:51 AM
sorry , sold it to dealer in ohio ,who shipped it off to canada ,from what i understand , there is a high demand for supernova's up there ..... how would pictures help you?

cd6400
12-24-2010, 10:33 AM
And where were these cracks found?

chuckyboy
12-24-2010, 11:56 AM
another member , i believe his name was t0951 , has 1 that is identical to one of mine ,the foward upward corner ,left side when slide is open , which he said he had repaired , but crack re appeared , the other one , right side, bedroom slide is out , above rear wheel .

bucketman
12-26-2010, 02:56 PM
New owner and the first mile proved the rear suspension was less than ideal and improvements were necessary. From other postings the ACE unit is a must. We are willing to travel to get a quality job and don't want to pay greenhorns to learn.
We are in SW Pa. Suggestions appreciated.

cd6400
12-26-2010, 05:56 PM
I'm located in Southern Maryland and have been talking with Crenshaw Equipment and IH of Richmond, VA. Estimates are running between $6K and $6.5K.

chuckyboy
12-26-2010, 06:27 PM
c and d , your unit is 2011 correct ? doesn't it already come with air suspension ? if not, why would you not get informed before spending all that money on the coach ? i know you paid alot of greens for your motorhome, why spend more ? it will make it more comfortable ,but the air suspension system works better on smaller coaches,not on a 6400,there is too ,too much weight behind rear axle ! please think about it ! you being the driver will be ok, but 2 great kid ,2great dogs , and most important 1 great wife ,still won't be comfortable ,believe me i know

cd6400
12-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Well.....if it already came with Air Ride I wouldn't be considering installing a system. While my unit is a 2011, it is an early model which, chassis wise, is the same as a 2009 and 2010. I feel your pain and am only considering installing the system to first reduce the wear and tear on the coach and second get any benefits to the ride. I too am reluctant to spend more green on this coach but have found that I cannot afford to trade and will unlikely see a quick sale without losing my @##@ss. Therefore I'm pretty much forced to get some use and hopefully enjoyment out of it for at least another year.

chuckyboy
12-27-2010, 05:20 AM
c and d, thought all 2011 had air ride ,the way east coast rv advertises the supernova ,you would think so.they don't mention "early" or
'late" in their ad. again i will say the air ride works better on the smaller units , if you are only going to keep it another year ,it is not worth it! trust me, i went through it ,the 6400's are untamed beast's ,nothing will help. hate to take the wind out of your sail, just trying to help :wink:

bucketman
12-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Thank you C and D. The info is greatly appreciated. Our unit is a 6373. I will call Crenshaw today. We take delivery next week and have high hopes?

Texas TC
12-27-2010, 10:11 PM
I think you will be pleased with the ACE air suspension system. It seems like everyone with a "smaller" chassis, ie. less than the 40' Grand Hotel has been very satisfied with the ride improvement.

Chucky did not like the ride of his 6400 even after adding the air suspension. He may be the only one with a 40' chassis that tried air so he may have a point. Those units are REAL heavy in the rear and might be TOO heavy for the air suspension to support.

I would like to hear from any other owner with a 40' model that has added air and see if they were pleased/disappointed in the results of their installation.

It sure made a HUGE difference in the ride of my 34' chassis.

Good luck and I wish you much happiness with your new SuperNova!

TxTC

bucketman
12-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Thank you Texas TC for the best wishes. We hope to have the system installed before the end of January and will post the results him. Happy new year to all?

Nanaeve
12-31-2010, 02:01 AM
Does "chuckyboy" still have his unit? Seems he's been real active in posts and I was wondering what had happened and what new experiences he hadas ol late?

Texas TC
12-31-2010, 10:01 AM
I agree, Chuckyboy had a real bad experience and is trying to enlighten others. He is definitely not a fan of the 6400. LOL

As to your question, he posted the following that he has sold his unit. I am a bit surprised he is still hanging around the GS Forum since he no longer is a GS owner.

chuckyboy
Camp Helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:51 am Post subject:
"sorry , sold it to dealer in ohio ,who shipped it off to canada ,from what i understand , there is a high demand for supernova's up there ..... how would pictures help you?"

I had a bad experience with a Polaris RZR UTV. I was active on their forum. When I sold my unit, I expressed my displeasure with the lack of quality and service to the customer and moved on. I have not been back to that forum since.

TxTC

chuckyboy
12-31-2010, 04:10 PM
yes , my former comrades , i have moved on , purchased a class A diesel. and yes, tex, am trying to enlighten others, don't want the next guy to make the same mistake i did , don't get me wrong ,my 6400 was pretty cool looking , but thats it ........ had a ton of problems , the 6400 is a really poor design , and i honestly believe that there isn't one happy 6400 owner who can say that they truly love their ride.again i will say the ace system cures the ride problem for the shorter motorhomes ,it will not work on a 6400 ,i am the proof , so please gulfstreamers , let me enlighten others , and not care why i have been so active lately :roll:

CraigH
01-01-2011, 08:08 AM
I think you will be pleased with the ACE air suspension system. It seems like everyone with a "smaller" chassis, ie. less than the 40' Grand Hotel has been very satisfied with the ride improvement.

Chucky did not like the ride of his 6400 even after adding the air suspension. He may be the only one with a 40' chassis that tried air so he may have a point. Those units are REAL heavy in the rear and might be TOO heavy for the air suspension to support.

I would like to hear from any other owner with a 40' model that has added air and see if they were pleased/disappointed in the results of their installation.

It sure made a HUGE difference in the ride of my 34' chassis.

Good luck and I wish you much happiness with your new SuperNova!

TxTC

As I noted on an earlier post, I own a 6400 and recently had the ACE Air Suspension added. My install was made with a dual-valve setup. I am very pleased with the improvement (HUGE).

We just returned from a trip and my wife, kids and dogs all were very happy with the ride. I've grown up with motorhomes including class A spring chassis to full air ride pusher and just prior to this coach another Super C on a Kodiak chassis. The original ride of the SuperNova was just terrible (brutal). With the addition of the ACE system I am now very happy.

Based on earlier comments I had read I really expected the upgrade to only impact the ride from mid-coach back but it is also notable for the driver. Much better ride without giving up stability.

As an aside, I've read here about rubber bumpers bottomed out on the rear axle - based on a little research, it appears those are not bumpers but rather the "rubber springs" - part of a mulitstage suspension.

In addition, with regard to weight capacity, Phil at American Carrier told me EACH one of the airbags included the ACE suspension is rated at 20,000lbs... way more than capable of carrying the 6400!!

So for me... I am satisfied. Now I'm on to finishing the first year Gulfstream goof fixes quick before I run out of warranty!

Happy New Year to all & thanks for all the sharing....

Texas TC
01-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Thanks Craig. I am really glad to hear that the ACE air suspension system worked for you and that it is a viable option for other owners of the 6400. It is amazing how the air bags in the back seem to have control over the entire coach. I still get some bounce in the front from time to time on roads with dips but if I would get off my procrastination stage and change front shocks, I'm sure that too could be eliminated. So far, it has not bothered me enough to make any changes.

Good luck with your punch list.

TxTC

cd6400
01-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks CraigH. It appears that the majority acknowledge improvements with the ACE installed on the Super Nova no matter what the model. Definitely worth considering if one is going to keep the coach for a while both from a ride quality perspective and a reduction of interior wear and tear perspective. I do not consider the current design a safety issue.

I suggest we all agree on the overall quality GS builds to could stand improvement based on the coach's cost but shouldn't ignore the harsh ride's contribution. Simple comparison of similar weight class of Class A's, there are sure a lot of them out there that have conventional spring suspension by design without air ride assist. I would guess that their rides are comparable as spring based suspensions are generally the same. Personally, I've ridden in and driven a 38 ft Tiffin Alegro Bus which has the conventional workhorse chassis (no air suspension) to and from Maryland to Daytona several times and I'd say the ride and interior noise/rattles were quite comparable to the SN. It doesn't appear economically feasible for me to sell/trade my unit in the near future so I may as well be satisfied with what I own and use.

Chuckyboy,
I appreciate your opinion. As you noted you've moved on to a Class A diesel. If I may ask, what model and size, as this would be a basis for your comparison wrt to ride quality?

Gemini John
01-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Well, I just bought my superride 810 for my 2008 6473 37 ft Supernova and I'm ready to go forward. Phil, and the people at ACE were nothing but a dream to deal with. I've already added the shock kit and improved the schoolbus springs with a great improvement over stock. i tow a 8000 lb racecar trailer. Now with this instsalled correctly, i think it will be the right move. ALL motorhomes are a labor of love. I'm in the best house I've ever towed, and it has more than class A's I tried to buy that had NO tow ability. I'll let everyone know how this turns out. I got more for my dollar new with this than a bunch of more expensive rigs I looked at before pulling the trigger. Time will tell, but I still like mine HJ

cd6400
01-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Bucketman,

Have you arranged for install of the ACE system yet?

Gemini John
01-13-2011, 07:50 PM
My welder, and my super bodyshop are going to install it with me. I are a mechanic(sic) . But there may be a time lag. just found out i need rotator cuff repair next week. Will be down 6 weeks minimum. it really sucks, but as someone once told me " getting old is not for the timid". it WILL get done well, and I'll keep all you supernovaites posted. it will work out HJ :lol:

porchracer1
01-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Hey Gemini John, I too have just purchased a 33 ft SN. and can't wait for the snow here in mich to go away. I will be pulling a 28ft inclosed trailer with the race car to different tracks. Total weight will be 9200lbs this being the trailer and it's content. Now if I can control the co-pilot when it comes to loading all her equip in the coach. First trip will be to the local scale and get some base lines on the weight. After reading all the posts on the ride of the Nova I am curious as to how the unit with water and all the supplies and the trailer will ride. This will be exciting for me as 34yrs ago I drove over the road (car hauler) big truck. Now I'm back to eye level with the big dogs. Wish me luck. Rob and Edna

dsomonster
01-18-2011, 11:26 AM
My turn! I have been following this air suspension topic for a while now and now it is time for me to join the party.

I have a 2008 6400n and after ChuckyBoy's deal, I was really hesitant. After reading Craig's experience, I felt a lot better.

I have my RV tech in SoCal working me up a proposal.

One last question, if any of you had to do it over again, what would you change or add?

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

-Ron in SoCal

Georunner
01-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Porchracer1, welcome. I think TexasTC will agree, those of use with the 33 foot model seem to have less problems with the ride etc of the Super Nova. I am adding the shock kit this week, at least I hope the shop will get it done, and that is all I plan on adding. Let us know the weights you get so we can compare. I contacted the tire manufacturer and got the tire pressure recommendations by weight. That did a lot for the ride when I lowered the pressure to the recommended (+5 psi) pressure. We honestly don't notice the weight of the water etc. on this model.

Gemini John
05-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Well it's finally done. the ride improvement in awesome. it rides like a coach now, not a truck. the ACE 810 had it's issues, and installation is something not for beginners. The lateral link didn't match up on mine, needed to be lengthed 1/2 inch??????. I also somehow got a bag with a tear in it (don't know how we could have done it) but truckspring.com in michigan had them for $130 so I just considered it part of fixing the factory screwup. Mounted the compressor in a right side compartment and the air tank behind the unit in the empty space where the spare should be. (that's another story/post/mod). But with texas TC's input it all worked out well. I went the route of cutting the rubber bumpers, shock kit and add a leaf to make the geometry where I want it. I sit level now, and 1000 lbs of water means nothing to it. it drives better and the drivetrain is much smoother. Thank you to all the forum members who applied input to this. I think the factory setup leads to the body cracking issue and hopefully this will prevent that. Ours bounced so bad new that a filled drawer pushed out and put a hole in the divider door at 1000 miles. I'm sure some owners bail and buy something else with the issues this rig has. I am still finding no buyers remorse considering the price I paid for what is really there. All the motorhomes I've ever owned have required refinement to be what I wanted. Still think it's the best rig I've bought so far. Gulfstream could do more to help owners but NONE of the coachbuilders I've dealt with seem to care much once it's out the door. Oh yea, this shoulder thing sucks even worse than I thought. 3 1/2 months later still not all healed, not racing yet and it makes mechanical issues look mild. I'll post pics once it's all painted and proven HJ 8)

Wildblue
05-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Oh, dear. I just got my quote today from an International dealer, for the ACE 810 install. For the sake of respecting the dealer, I won't mention the name, but say that it is a dealer that has done other ACE installs, in the range of $5,000 - $6,000. Well, my quote came in at $7,500, for no additional factors. (and that does NOT include the additional $500 or so that it would cost if, after installation, they discover a body lean and have to modify one side's body leaf)

Up to a 50% price increase! Yikes! The service rep said their supplier has increased their cost. And on top of it, the supplier has had these systems on backorder since February, so even if I bought them now, there's a VERY low chance that I'd actually get to install them next month, when I come back from Iraq and am in the lower 48 states with dealers that have experience with the ACE install, before I do my big RV trip up to Alaska.

Grrr... rather frustrating. I'd like to get the system installed in June, but with everything, I don't know if that's going to happen now.

chuckyboy
05-01-2016, 08:15 PM
Well musketeers it's been awhile . 6 yrs . Who still owns their supernova , and how's it working out for you ?

Chuckmc46
03-08-2017, 06:38 PM
Chuckboy I am going to look at a 2009 GS SuperNova 6400 on Friday so I thought I'd check out some reviews. I'm concerned now because I saw your negative comments. Is there a way for you to contact me? I sure would appreciate your input.
Best Regards,
ChuckMc46

SlimTim
04-09-2017, 10:05 AM
This is an old post but It seems like second and third buyers/owners are looking at it so I wanted to post my experience. I have a 2010 Supernova 6400 with the ACE air ride. I can say from test driving 6400's without air ride as well as driving my 6400 with deflated air bags the stock ride is really bad. It is so bad I would not want to drive the coach for fear of doing serious damage to it. However with the ACE air suspension it is totally different and I am very pleased. Prior to owning the GS I owned a Super C built on the Kodiak chassis and I can say the GS with the ACE suspension is much better. The rear of the coach still bounces (but in my experience all class C MH do) but the harsh jarring is gone. I test drove some Jayco Super Cs's on the Freightliner M2 chassis and I like the way my GS drives better than the Jayco. I hope this helps anybody looking to buy a Supernova or an owner thinking of installing the ACE system.

Roadglide99
04-11-2017, 08:48 AM
Slim, Thanks for the reply. I have a 6400 and had it about a year about to pull the trigger on the ACS just didn't want to waste anymore money if it was not going to fix/help the issue.

oldsnapper
10-15-2018, 09:55 AM
I just installed a Kelderman www.kelderman.com Air Suspension on the rear of our 2008 6331 Endura. Website has all the info.

Very well engineered, top quality fabrication & parts and straight forward installation instructions. The ride improvement is almost unbelievable! The install instructions & pictures were done on a Super Nova so that really helped. Here is a video showing the suspension at work that sold me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj-GtyVzU8Q (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj-GtyVzU8Q)

Good company to work with and great price. Wish I had done this years ago! The hardest part was moving the wire and cables that would have rubbed on the new components. If anyone is interested in more info, please send a message.
Steve C. in Michigan

Gemini John
12-09-2018, 01:21 PM
The air ride system is still on my 2008 Supernova and still works great. It was still worth the work and cost and it's part of the deal. Turning 20k when it comes out in the spring. Almost always tows #8000 with little problems. Got to do another Brake unit next spring, but that's another story. HJ

atberger1
02-03-2019, 08:04 AM
Just curious what break unit you like with the Supernova?

Automan
02-14-2019, 05:46 PM
Ive had the same experience with my 09 6400

Gemini John
02-17-2019, 10:40 AM
It is a Meritor International electronic brake control unit. It was done ( control unit) under warranty In 2012. HCU control unit was renewed. Now it appears they only sell the entire brake control unit complete. I think the local International dealer ( nice group) want to verify the issue from my local mechanic truck guy. My system doesn't communicate properly from the HCU to the dash until warmed up. Works fine, pressures are OK, but beep the dash continuously . Then quits after 15 min, but that was getting worse last fall . Will go to the dealer next month and I'll report the results. The service manager owes me a favor for helping him with his Jetta and a dash crash so I hope I get the real dirt about these brake controllers. Need to have the Supernova in top shape this year as I'll be racing regionally more. If spring ever gets here. LOOL John

Stevejo
07-28-2020, 08:36 PM
I enjoyed reading all the posts on the ride issues. I have a 2008 Endura with the international 4200 chassis and my wife was not pleased with the ride on our first trip. Even the microwave door flew open and the glass dish fell out. We are currently getting an air ride installed and hopefully this will calm down the harsh ride. We also experienced a bounce on certain roads with expansion joints on our first trip. I have been researching tires and super single conversions.

oldsnapper
07-28-2020, 08:54 PM
The Kelderman unit that I installed took care of all the ride issues