PDA

View Full Version : Generator backfiring

Granny on the go
03-28-2009, 12:59 PM
I have a propane generater on my 98 scenic cruiser. Have been using it at FMCA rally(dry camping). It worked fine the first 3 days then I started it up , it ran less than 5 minutes ,backfired and shut down. Had the Onan tech from the show come over. He started it, had me put it under load and it checked out ok on his meter. That evening I fired it up, it ran less than 1 minute and did the same thing. I went to Onan next am and they said the tech would come over. He never showed. From talking to another owner who said he had similar problem and it was a spring? on the governeur? Is this possible and is it something I could do or should I take it to an Onan shop?

mike261
03-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Hi Granny on the go, I do think the problem is in the ignition. If your Onan was running smooth and steady for the 3 days and then suddenly back fired and quit, this might indicate the firing is momentarily being interrupted. Ignition module or mag could cause this and may be ok on cool down. I do not think it is the carburetor, regulator or even lp fuel.

It would not heart to give it a good check over if possible, my generator is in the front and is not easy to get to except for oil changes. Will hope for the best [/list]

Granny on the go
03-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Thank you for the information. I will take it to an Onan shop :P