PDA

View Full Version : Awning sensor

pchicky
03-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Has anybody actually had the sensor on their awning automatically close it in windy conditions? I had mine set on the lowest setting (12) and the wind was picking the awning up (to the point the extension arms were beginning to fold upword) but it never automatically closed. Just wonder if anybody has seen this system really work.

Texas TC
03-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Yep, mine has worked a couple of times while at the Drag Races in Ennis, TX. It would probably have happened more but I rarely use my awning. I am working the NASCAR races at Texas Motor Speedway for the next week in the RV area. I'll try it again to make sure it still works. In fact, I just turned the wind sensor activation switch back on this morning, had it off during the winter so it would not constantly be sending out the audible alarm when the weather gets below freezing. No place seems to be as windy as an open RV lot at a race track for some reason.

PieEye
03-31-2009, 05:28 PM
I was up in Huntsville, TN in some pretty good rain and wind storms this past weekend and was wondering the same thing. I have it set on the lowest setting (12 mph I think) and the wind was flapping it pretty good but it didn't retract. I finally got nervous and pulled it in manually.

galena
03-31-2009, 06:17 PM
Yes mine works. I had it on the lowest setting when it went in so I moved up one notch.

pchicky
04-15-2009, 07:27 PM
OK, more information that our fellow SuperNova owner, T.C., found out from his local shop regarding how the "automatic" awning works. Seems as though the sensor only retracts the awning when there is a CONSTANT wind, not a wind gust. I watched mine almost fold back over the coach in a wind gust and wondered why it hadn't retracted. Personally, this makes the "automatic" part pretty useless since the wind never remains at a constant speed all the times. This leaves for the danger for the awning to get lifted and destroyed.

My solution will be to tie down the ends of the awning if it's windy and disable the retract feature, or just keep the awning up.

If anybody has had a different experience with their awning, we'd love to hear your story.

PieEye
04-17-2009, 05:51 PM
Paul - Interesting info. I was down near Destin Florida last week and got caught in the tornado storms that blew through that area. Needless to say, it gave me a good opertunity to play with the awning sensor and observe its operation....or lack there of. After it flapped up and folded in half againt the side of the coach for the third or fourth time I became convinced that the sensor didn't work. Even if it is sustained winds and not gusts, I agree its pretty useless.

Ken