PDA

View Full Version : Problems hooking up TV converter

darbyjudy
03-30-2009, 06:25 PM
I have a 2004 Gulfstream Sunvoyager with the mid-coach cabinet where all of the controls and amplifiers are located for the TV. Over the week-end I tried to hook up the TV-converter box and got no where. I removed the switch plate where the tv amplifier is located. On the back is three coax wires, one marked antenna, one marked booster and the other marked cable. I thought I should hook up to the one marked antenna but i only got two stations. Should I have hooked the converter to the one marked booster? Have any of the rest of you got the same configuration in the coach and if so how did you hook yours up?

gbarngrover
03-30-2009, 07:09 PM
I have the same set up. Mine is labled 1 antenna 2 cable 3 tv.
Hopefully you didn't damage the converter.
Reinstall the coxial cable you disconnected back on the one marked antenna.
Remove the one marked booster and connect it to the converter box marked out to tv.
Install a new coxial cable from where you disconnected the above cable on the one marked booster.
Connect the other end of this new cable to the converter box antenna in.
If this is not clear I can sent a diagram.
My reception improved a lot with the converter.
Let me know if this helps.

larrybell
03-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Here is how I have my system hooked up. On the plate that contains the power for the antenna amplifier, there is an additional coax output. I connected a coax cable from that output to the input of the converter box. From the converter box, I went to the AUX input on the TV input selector box.

Now, if I am in a location without cable, I just select the TV input to AUX, power the converter box, and turn on the antenna amplifier.

darbyjudy
03-31-2009, 04:40 PM
Well today I went out to the MH and hooked up the converter the way Barngrover said he did. the converter worked OK but I lost my radio in the sony surround sound. the Sony uses the TV antenna amp. for the antenna for the am and fm radio. When I unhooked the booster cable from the amp and hooked the converter into the system I lose the radio. Barngrover would you check yours and see if you also lost the radio on the sony system. I am at a loss at what to do now. Either I have TV with converter & no radio in the sony or have the Sony and no TV converter. This Gulfstream Audio system sucks and the location is also the pits. You move one wire and you disconnect another because it is such a rats nest in that cabinet. I have double checked and all the wires are hooked up on the Sony the right way. If I remove the converter than everything works except I have no TV converter. Maybe I will have to pull the TV and put it directly on the back of it.

gbarngrover
03-31-2009, 06:43 PM
I don't have the sony system, my radio operates from it's own antenna.
There must be a splitter somewhere in the coxial cable.
I would think they would put it near the cabinet, try pulling the coxial cable slightly and see if there is a splitter attached ( one cable in and 2 cables out). (could also be at the tv or radio)
I agree mine is a mess of wires also. It would have been nice if they furnished a wiring diagram.

GO BLUE
04-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Put a splitter or a y so you can take the cable you took out of the amp and put it back in and still have a connection to the convertor box.......or use an A-B switch and go back and forth from tv to radio Jim k

darbyjudy
04-03-2009, 12:33 PM
I finally found a wireing diagram for the audio system for my MH. I knew they had to be a splitter somewhere and in order to find it I had to take apart the side of the cabinet where the sony system, and all the rest of the audio equiptment is located. there is a large area behind the side of the cabinet and lots of wires located there also. Before I put it back I installed an axcess panel so it will be easier if I need to go there again. Should have been done this way at the factory. Only thing I am not sure of now is will I be able to use cable. Everything else works but I notice that the cable also goes through the TV antenna amplifier. So it also has to go through the converter and I am not sure the converter will pass it. But if it doesn't I don't care for I hardly ever use cable.

gbarngrover
04-05-2009, 09:21 AM
You should be ok. On the back of your switch plate the coxial cable on the connection marked cable is for cable tv. On mine the switch plate has a small button that turns off the antenna. When you turn it off it internally disconnects the regular tv connection and completes the cable tv connection.

rdlamb
04-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Darby:
The converter is for tv's that do not, cannot, receive digital channels. Since your coach is a 2004, check your owner's manuals to see it they will receive digital channels.
I do not need the converter box, as I earlier switched my tv's to Sony Bravia(s), which are compatible with the upcoming digital channels.
Just a thought.

darbyjudy
04-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Rick, yes my motor home is a 2004 but the TV's do not receive the new HDTV. I have got the converter box hooked up now and I am receiving channels I didn't get before. Only bad thing is I cannot get a different station in the bedroom. But I guess I can get along with that. Maybe in the future I will get another converter to put on the bedroom TV.

darbyjudy
04-27-2009, 08:41 AM
I just got back from being out in the motor home far a few days and at one place we stayed we had cable. I tried to use it and couldn't get anything the way I had the converter hooked in to the system. I had to remove what I had done in order to be able to use the cable. So I am back to square one. What a bummer. I though I had it all figured out but I guess I sure don't. So it looks like maybe I will just have to move things around every time I want to use converter or cable. Most of the time I am using the Dish and with it I don't need the converter. So maybe I will just get a good book and read it at places I can't get Dish.

rdlamb
04-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Darby:
Having to move the cables around makes sense, now that I think of it. The "input" line for both the cable hookup and the antenna come together at a Y connection. In the TM that is behind the center panel where my components are located.
The single output line from this connection then goes to a splitter, where cable lines run to the TV's.
I'd try finding the Y, determine which connection comes from the cable input, and graft the converter into this connection.
Otherwise, did your trip go well?

lbdils
06-15-2009, 01:04 PM
I have the same DTV box issue. When I removed the booster jack there were three coax wires marked as follows: antenna, cable and 2nd TV. Anyone know which coax I remove to hook up to the DTV box as antenna in? Also wondering if this will cause a problem when I want to use DirecTV.

hyall
06-16-2009, 08:44 AM
let see

What I did I removed the coaxial from behind the booster plate TV 1 and added a coupling and couple feet of coaxial connected to the (out) on the DTV box and from the (in) on the DTV box connected the supplied cable to the removed fitting behind the booster plate that takes care of the front TV

Rear TV added another DTV box connected wall antenna to (in) on DTV and (out) to rear of bedroom TV Make sure booster is on and tv set to channel 3 then use the dtv remote

nothing else should be involve

lbdils
06-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Hyall,
My box has three coax cables: antenna, cable and TV2. Which one should I hook up to the DTV box in?. Yours seem to marked differently.

hyall
06-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Can you follow the tv2 cable and see if there's a splitter near the rear of the front tv and the other half going to the rear ?

lbdils
06-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks all for your help, gbarngrover had the solution for me. Now I get about 15 channels on the mountain here in NY. Lucky us, now we get infomercial channels on DTV.

darbyjudy
06-24-2009, 04:04 PM
I finally found a wireing diagram for the audio system for my MH. I knew they had to be a splitter somewhere and in order to find it I had to take apart the side of the cabinet where the sony system, and all the rest of the audio equiptment is located. there is a large area behind the side of the cabinet and lots of wires located there also. Before I put it back I installed an axcess panel so it will be easier if I need to go there again. Should have been done this way at the factory. Only thing I am not sure of now is will I be able to use cable. Everything else works but I notice that the cable also goes through the TV antenna amplifier. So it also has to go through the converter and I am not sure the converter will pass it. But if it doesn't I don't care for I hardly ever use cable :?:

Above is how I had the wireing connected but did not get cable when hooked to it. Read somewhere that I needed a converter box that had the analog pass-thru in order to use the cable. so I went ahead an ordered another converter box with the analog-pass thru. what do you think will it all work OK when I get the next :roll: converter hooked up????
Didn't know what else to do. If this doesn't work I guess I will just have to move the wires around each time I am somewhere where they have cable. :D