PDA

View Full Version : Carrying a spare

03heritagerider
05-07-2009, 07:36 AM
On our way to Florida in January, the motorhome had a tire blow out (inside rear). It took almost 6 hours for a repair shop to locate a tire, go get it, then bring it to our location on the side of the road to break down the old tire and remount the new one.

I have plenty of room in my cargo trailer for one spare, but here is my question...
Do I need to carry two? I know that on the duals, the wheels are the same. One is inverted and they are mounted back to back. Is the front wheel the same as the rear ones? To my untrained eye, it looks different.

If it is different, then I would need to carry two spares which I do not have room for. I could just carry an unmounted tire. That way, if I get another flat, all the shop will have to do is mount it for me. No waiting for someone to locate and deliver the tire.

mfa
05-07-2009, 08:16 PM
I believe the wheels should all be the same.

If I was going to do it, though, I would carry an unmounted tire.

GStream40
05-07-2009, 09:22 PM
I too would carry an unmounted spare tire that way it could be used at any position by mounting it on the correct rim.
If you have aluminum rims, the inside rim on the rear is steel and the outside rim is aluminum. The reason for this is the length of the studs, they are not long enough for two alum. rims because they are thicker. Also the front alum. rims are only polished on the outside that you can see.

So with alum. rims, the best choice is an unmount spare tire.

Ron

mfa
05-08-2009, 09:08 PM
If you have aluminum rims, the inside rim on the rear is steel and the outside rim is aluminum. The reason for this is the length of the studs, they are not long enough for two alum. rims because they are thicker. Also the front alum. rims are only polished on the outside that you can see...

Sounds like you're saying that a spare steel rim could be used in any position -- it would just be cosmetically different.

03heritagerider
05-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Sounds like you're saying that a spare steel rim could be used in any position -- it would just be cosmetically different.

That's what it sounds like to me also. Is there some benefit/reason you would carry an unmounted spare?

GStream40
05-09-2009, 04:03 PM
I thought I did give the reasons above for unmounted spare, but I will try it again:

1) Unmounted spare can be mounted on the rim that the flat tire is on.

2) Being that it would be mounted on the correct rim for the position means that it would not have to be dismounted at a later time so that it could be mounted on the correct cosmetic rim saving you $$$$$.

3) 99.9% of RV'ers would call a road service to change the tire becasue of the weight and lug nut torque that most do not have the tools for anyway. It only makes sense that if you carry a spare tire that it be unmounted for the above reasons.

Those are the main reasons that IF I had room to carry a spare, it would be unmounted. But I don't have the room.

Ron

03heritagerider
05-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Oh! I get it now :idea: . Sometimes it takes me a while. Reason # 3 is the one that got to me.

Thanks