PDA

View Full Version : Dewald Leveling System Repair

SugarRv
06-11-2009, 04:11 PM
I need to replace one of the hydraulic rams on my 03 Friendship. I called Power Gear who made the Dewald system but they are almost out of business and might be able to built one for me if I remove the old one, and send them the part number stamped on the top. They could have it made in 6 to 8 weeks. Does anyone know of an alternative to this or have another source? They told me that they are made so as not to be rebuildable.

rdlamb
07-17-2009, 10:30 PM
SugarRV:
I'm not surprised that Power Gear is hurting. I hope they survive. But, your ram should be a part that GS has, or perhaps another major dealer. Many coaches were built with Power Gear.

So, call Gulf Stream and see if they have any in stock.
Try another major supplier, such as Camping World, or PPL Motorhomes in Texas.

Also, try www.colawrvsalvage.com (http://www.colawrvsalvage.com) and see if they have a source for you, they have a tremendous selection of salvaged RV parts.

irishwoman
08-16-2009, 05:18 PM
We just got a 2008 Independence; it's considered new because we are the first owners. We've had it a month. We put the jacks down so we could open the slides. Today, we took the rig out to have it washed and fueled. When we got home, we tried to lower the jacks again, but they stopped; the rear ones are about 2/3's down; the front ones are about 1/2 way down. All the lights on the touch pad were flashing and a whining noise started coming from the engine area. This is something we've never encountered before because this is the first rig we have gotten that has jacks and slides.
Can anyone help us to figure out what's going on? We followed the manual and had the parking brake on, transmission in Park, etc.

mfa
08-16-2009, 08:09 PM
We just got a 2008 Independence; it's considered new because we are the first owners. We've had it a month. We put the jacks down so we could open the slides. Today, we took the rig out to have it washed and fueled. When we got home, we tried to lower the jacks again, but they stopped; the rear ones are about 2/3's down; the front ones are about 1/2 way down. All the lights on the touch pad were flashing and a whining noise started coming from the engine area. This is something we've never encountered before because this is the first rig we have gotten that has jacks and slides.
Can anyone help us to figure out what's going on? We followed the manual and had the parking brake on, transmission in Park, etc.

Is this a hydraulic system? If so, find the reservoir tank and check the fluid level.

rdlamb
08-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Check the pads, there may be gravel or other debris on them that is setting off your sensors.
As noted above, check your hydraulic fluid. Unfortunately, if your coach is a 2008, it may have been off the assembly line in 2006. The hydraulic fluid may have water, or other contaminants in it.

www.powergearus.com (http://www.powergearus.com) has great owner's manuals and maintenance manuals for their systems.

I stopped by Power Gear in July. They are working, but on a skeletal crew. I would try calling them, but I wouldn't be surprised if you do not get an answer.

How about your dealer? You can also call GS customer service. The operator is helpful and will route you to your area rep.

coolchas11
08-17-2009, 09:21 AM
I agree with mfa: check the fluid level. It takes transmission fluid. This happened to us on our first use of the PowerGear jacks--no/low fluid due to a leak in the pump tank. If it is low fluid you are lucky. We had to spend a couple of days on the road getting the leak repaired. Charlie