PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic camping weather

TSoul
03-13-2006, 04:04 PM
As I drove my Jeep Wrangler around today doing errands, I noticed the temp was about 81 degrees today. Oh how I longed to be in a nice camping area. If only this weather would have held off for this Saturday. I don't care anymore, I am going camping this weekend come sick kids and bad weather. I haven't been out since January 27th and I am going. I will dewinterize the MH even if it means running a small heater in the basement a few nights until spring/summer. I live in PA and will no longer envy those of you in warmer climates. I will take action and I will enjoy the MH to the best of my ability, (if my wife lets me, lol). She will, she is a great sport too. Who is with me, let the season of happy camping begin. Happy Camping everyone!

Timothy
03-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Yeah, Ive got the itch too. It was close to 60 here in Wisconsin on Saturday so went out to the fiver and started cleaning up and preparing for Spring. Unfortunatly the weather didn't hold out, It's snowing right now as I look out the window on Monday afternoon.

I was thinking about trading up to a Sedona but decided to keep the Canyon Trail for at least another season, still waiting for the perfect floor plan. So I guess I'll get the tools out next weekend and start doing a little remodeling again, may even stay the night in the camper.

I'll post some pictures of my improvments when I'm through.

TSoul
03-14-2006, 09:54 AM
Thats great, I would like to see some pics. What type of improvements have you done/going to do? We are considering adding 2 more group 27 (12v) batteries and an inverter. Other than that we have no plans to change anything else. When we bought it we had a SurgeGuard installed and a washer/dryer (vented) put in. I also added a dvd/vcr combo. I wish it came with the surround sound but it didn't and I don't believe I will add it. Happy Camping.

Timothy
03-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Go to http://groups.msn.com/OpenRoadsForum/ca ... snw?Page=1 (http://groups.msn.com/OpenRoadsForum/canyontrailremodel.msnw?Page=1) and you can see the bunkhouse remodel I did.
be sure to look at both pages, You can also see some more photos at http://groups.msn.com/OpenRoadsForum/ca ... snw?Page=1 (http://groups.msn.com/OpenRoadsForum/canyontrail.msnw?Page=1) some of the photos are from when I first picked it up in November of 2003.

I have added lights to all the cargo areas, light switches to the lamps in the stow away room, bathroom, and sink area. Added a 3 bulb vanity fixture over the sink, electric dump valve on the black tank, added gutter to the street side (for some reason it only came with a gutter on the curb side) the list goes on but you get the idea! Good luck with your new coach.

TSoul
03-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Nice pics, thanks for posting.

Roy Buzzard
03-15-2006, 06:21 AM
I have the same basic model as yours only I have the TT. I would have never thought of the added storage with the bunk area/garage. What a great idea. Nice work, it looks really good

Timothy
03-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Thanks Roy and Tsoul, it wasn't that hard to do and made some good use of otherwise wasted space. I bought the cabinet doors at a liquidator for $10.00 each, that and the hinges were the most expensive part, still I don't think I spent over $60.00 to do it. The wood grain around the cabinets is contact paper over the original paneling and unless you really look close you wouldn't know it. I used a razor knife and straight edge to cut the paneling, the panels are only around 1/8" thick.

TSoul
03-16-2006, 06:28 AM
Well, it looks like the sick kid and the cold weather will keep me from camping. We all want to go but my wife (the voice of reason) turned my back to the dark side and we decided not to venture out this weekend. Maybe the weekend of the 25th will be a bit better for us. I got the bug to go something bad and its not going to go away until I am out sitting around the fire havin a beer. :lol:

justlizz
03-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Is the weather so bad over there that you dont do much winter trips we go away every month for a few days the temps drop to about 16-20 f but we are nice and cosy in our van when we travelled down in France after Christmas this year we ended up in the middle of a freezing rain storm and it looked like we were towing a giant ice cube it was a bit scarry but we managed just last week-end we were away and woke up to an inch of snow but we were allcosy inside
lizz

TSoul
03-16-2006, 01:17 PM
The weather really isn't that bad and I do like winter camping. My wife is worried about freezing water lines in our brand new camper and my son is still sick. If he didn't have a bad chest cold we would still go as the weather looks like it will be nice (partly cloudy highs 43 low 22). I guess this weekend I can't have my cake and eat it too. lol Happy Camping.

Timothy
03-16-2006, 05:09 PM
I know what you mean about sick kids, both of my daughters are down with the flu. My 9 year old is heartbroken, this will be the first time in 3 years that she hasn't gotten a perfect attendance award. :(

Never have tried any winter camping as most of the campgrounds in Wisconsin are closed from the end of October until about mid April and the snow can get pretty deep here. My wife is having a hysterectomy (sp?) at the end of April so we probably won't get to go until mid May..........sigh.

Roy Buzzard
03-17-2006, 07:33 AM
I just don't like the idea of winterizing 3 or 4 times through the winter. Looks like we are going to get a later start this year also, I am in the middle of a job transfer.

justlizz
03-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Sorry to hear about sick son no it is not a good idea to go I must admit I would only go away in good weather when the kids were small there is nothing worse than being stuck in a small TT with kids in the pouring rain and when we first started it was a 18ft TT and I had 4 girls now thank goodness it is just Hubby and I and if the kids turn up they bring there own tent
Re winterising van I only make sure the water line is empty and I keep a small oil filled heater on low am I supposed to do anything else ?
lizz

TSoul
03-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Well I decided that sense I have an appiontment next week at the dealership that I NEED to do another shack down outing. So come bad weather or sick kid we are going this coming weekend. The forcast looks pretty good so that is a good thing. I am determined however and will not be swayed to canceling this trip. Wish us luck and Happy Camping to ya all.

justlizz
03-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Hope the weather stays good and you have a great time
lizz

TSoul
03-22-2006, 01:41 PM
I made my reservation for Pine Grove State Furnace State Park PA for the weekend. Site 39. Stop by and visit with us :D I'm doin the wash today and am going to start packing the camper tomorrow. I am so excited. Happy Camping everyone.

justlizz
03-22-2006, 02:54 PM
I think it is a bit far to travel for a beer for me but have a super time and I hope your son is feeling better
lizz

TSoul
03-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks justlizz, for the good wishes. The forcast is high of 49 and low of 35 this weekend with a 30% chance of rain showers. It sounds good enough to me. Have a good weekend everyone.

justlizz
03-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Well TSoul how did the w/end go ?
lizz

TSoul
03-27-2006, 07:57 AM
It was great. We had clear skies and highs of 50 degrees. There was hardly anyone around. When we left Sunday only on TT was still there. It was quiet and cool with a warm fire. We had some really good meals and talked and played some games together. We ran two space heaters and that keeped us more than toasty and saved the propane. We ran a load of wash to make sure the washer worked and all was fine. We made sure all the systems worked (again) and everything was great. I still have a few small issues that will be fixed on Wednesday. I also get an inverter and some more batteries added. We are going out again this coming weekend, this time to the Lickdale Campground in Lebanon. As far as I am concerned Camping Season Has Started YYAAAAAHHHOOO!!
Thanks for asking :D And thanks for all your replies. Happy Camping.

justlizz
03-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Glad to hear you have had a good time I am just packing up to go off on Wednesday for a few days meeting up with some other campers near Cambridge it is an Adults only trip so lots of wine and beer getting loaded
lizz

CampWinican
03-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Who/What's getting loaded??? :lol:

justlizz
03-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Sorry CWinican but we are a bit to far for you to visit but I will have an extra large Southern Comfort and think of you all
lizz

TSoul
03-31-2006, 07:54 AM
Looks like this weekend is going to be real good for camping also. Scattered T-storms (40% chance) on saturday, but that should be ok. We are off again this weekend. Actually we are packing and leaving when my son gets home form school today. This is going to be great. Lizz it sounds like your going to find some fun of your own, congratulations and enjoy. Happy Camping.

justlizz
04-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Hi T/soul I have just come back from a sunny but windy few days away the only trouble is I now need a rest from the booze and late nights but I am cleaning out the van as we are off to France in 10 days with the kids
I hope you have had a good week end
lizz

TSoul
04-03-2006, 08:13 AM
We had a nice weekend. The campground was a typical right of the highway place. The sites were kind of crowded and most of the people that stayed there were passing thru or seasonal campers. We did have a nice site considering but... I doubt it is someplace we will go to spend a weekend. It was good for us to be near my parents and near to help my brother do a few things on Saturday. Other than that it just proved to me I am more a State park/National park camper.
The main point of the trip was to be around to help my brother move some stuff on Saturday and have dinner with my parents. So I would say mission accolmplished. We still had fun and that is the most important thing. I hope everyone enjoyed there weekend. Happy Camping.

TSoul
05-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Last weekend was beutiful and I had a great time being out and about. I and our camper have shifted rolls in life to Actor/movie Support. My little brother is shooting his first feature film (which will probably go right to DVD) and I am helping out. Its a lot of fun and I get to be a little useful. The weather has been great so far and I hope for the same this weekend.

I am set up in a campground across the creak from the shoot. We are shooting at night and we come and go by way of the back of the campground. I hope we are not disturbing any campers. So if you find yourself at Lickdale Campground in PA on the weekend this month, sorry if we wake you. I am relatively sure we are not disturbing anyone.

Anyway, I hope everyone is enjoying the camping season I know we are.

Happy Camping.

TSoul
06-20-2006, 07:36 AM
Well its late spring and almost summer. The weather has been very good and we have been very busy. We have had to stay home a few weekends for home improvements but we have been using the MH for many things. Its so great to be able to handle what ever the weather throws at you when you RV. Ya just got to love the things. Hot, cold, dry, rain or wind its ready to go. I am looking forward to are two week vacation starting Saturday but at the same time I can't wait to get out and do more camping. I hope you all are enjoying yourselfs.

Happy Camping.

TSoul
10-27-2006, 08:09 AM
As I look back on this thread from spring it gets me to thinking. Boy, did we have a great camping season. As far as I am concerned its not over yet. We have some short trips planned yet. As a matter of fact we are going out for the weekend this afternoon. It is suppose to be a little chilly and a bit rainy but I am happy just the same. I love fall camping. I worry about pipes freezing and such but I hold off winterizing as long as I can. I may run some heaters to put it off longer.

I get excited just thinking about all the good family time we get together because of this RV hobbie. Or is it a lifestyle. I am by no means a full-timer but I do dream of it. But I will probably only ever be a half or three-quarter timer anyway. We love our home and area that we live in and have desided we will probably never give it up for good.

Ahh yes, fall camping. Cool days and nights sitting around the fire. Evening watching movies and cooking dinner on the fire. Bundling up and sitting closer together. The smell of smoke and leaves and bbq. I even love the smell of deisel exhaust because I know we are off on a fall adventure. I won't even turn down a little snow on the ground as long as I don't have to drive on it.

Well enjoy every season to the most and Happy Camping!

coolchas11
10-27-2006, 04:54 PM
TSoul, we.re coming up thru SC to NC, VA , PA and into CT. Yup, it's raining, but not many at the CG! Have a great weekend.

TSoul
10-30-2006, 07:30 AM
It was wet and it was windy and it was kinda cold but we had a great time anyway. We did something a little new this time. We kinda had a movie day on Saturday. I usually look down on the idea of just hiding out in the camper but I must say it was nice. We were all together in a smaller space and no cell phone service. There were no interuptions and we could comment and talk and watch together. It was neat. We usually like to be outside the camper and do outdoor stuff but we kind of broke from tradition as the weather wasn't great and some of us are on the verge of a cold. Yes well its all good. I think we will go back out in two weeks. My youngest isn't up to two weekends in a row. I'll have to work on him. :D Happy Camping everyone.