PDA

View Full Version : 08 Tourmater: slide leaves metal shavings on bedroom carpet

univmd
07-13-2009, 12:52 PM
The passenger side masterbedroom slide leaves small metal shavings/pieces on the carpet everytime I slide it out. I wonder what is happening, and how this particular slide works. I don't see gear teeth like on the living room slide, I only see two cables on the side of the slide, not sure exactly what may be causing the metal shavings, and if I need to do anything. Maybe the mechanism is breaking itself in? Any thoughts on what is going on and what to do? With warm regards, James T40C

David Bott
07-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Hi...

OK, on my T40B, the slide is a pulley type system where the top and bottom 4 corners are either pulled in or pulled out via a cable system. The slide itself more or less is just slid in and out on rollers.

If the cables are not aligned in the pulleys, they will enter into the pulley at an angle and thus make for the shavings you see. (Metal cable rubbing on metal or aluminum pulley.)

The bad news is the system is NOT something you can work on without knowledge. This will be something that would need to be looked into and by someone who knows how these are setup.

I forget the name of the manufacturer of the system I am sorry to say but it is in my documents somewhere so I would think you should have them also so you can look them up and call for support/guidance.

univmd
07-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Wow, thank you for letting me know. Most of the people I talked to waved it off as construction debris. Yes mine is a roller system with cables. I am taking it in for service next Tuesday to have this slide checked, and also to get the EMS checked (not recognizing generator). While I'm there I will probably have them check why the amber light under the steps does not light (although not a big deal).

galena
07-20-2009, 06:56 PM
I have GS Class C, and have not seen a "cable system" to pull the sides in and out. Do all the Tour Masters use this arrangement on the side outs?

David Bott
07-20-2009, 07:39 PM
"Do all the Tour Masters use this arrangement on the side outs?"

Yes, but only on ONE of the three slide. :) Actually we have 3 different types of slide systems in the couch.

univmd
07-21-2009, 10:18 AM
The Tourmaster is at the service center getting looked at right now. Yes all 3 slide systems are different. On the last trip, there were less metal shavings on the carpet, so maybe it is just breaking itself in, or maybe it's just construction debris. Also, none of the cables seem frayed. Will keep you posted. I did some research online, and it looks like the cables themselves are not the ones pulling the slide in and out, they are there to keep the slide square when going in and out. I am not sure how it all works.

David Bott
07-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Actually it IS the cables that pull the side out and in.

When OUT, the cables on the outside are slightly slack. About an inch of play as it was the cables on the inside that PULLED to move the slide out and would be tight.

When you bring the slide IN, the outside cables are PULLED to move the slide in. Thus the inside cables become slightly slack.

But yes, these same cables also account for tops bottom and side skew thus keeping it all square. And if ever adjusted, their are moved in pairs. (Adjustments are inside the rectangle boards above the unit and not the best place to work with them. :))

On a side note, if the motor ever gives out, you can open up the center panel to get to the motor and use a cordless drive to spin the shaft that drives the gears to move it. Up in that area you should find the bendable bit for it pull tied to a screw. You have to look for it.

univmd
07-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Just got the Tourmaster back from the local service center. They checked the slide and said that nothing is wrong with it, that the shavings appear to simply be construction debris from the factory.

Thank you for all the knowledge about how this slide works. Very interesting. It's too bad that the original dealer I bought this RV from is not very helpful and did not give a good PDI. Everyone on here and over at rv.net have been so much more helpful and I am grateful.