View Full Version : leaving your unit plugged in at home

08-06-2009, 09:46 AM
I have a 99 tourmaster and would like to know if it is better to leave it plugged in while not in us and does it have a trickle charger on it? I can not find any reference to it in the reference material I got originally.


08-06-2009, 07:57 PM
My experience tells me to leave your unit unplugged so you don't overcharge your house batteries. I was leaving mine plugged in and ruined by house batteries. Now I just plug in a few days before a trip and start the refrigerator before packing up to leave.

08-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks for responding Holmesaw. I was fairly sure that it had an automatic shut-off or reverted to a trickle charge once the batteries were fully charged.

I am installing new batteries both for chassis and coach (national debt) and I asked the interstate rep if it would be better to keep it plugged in or not and he said keep it on shore hook-up. He also said not to leave them for extended period of time without use.

08-08-2009, 11:35 AM
I don't know about your unit, but mine just continues charging and will ruin the batteries if not in use.

08-14-2009, 11:26 PM
I usually will Plug mine in a few days before we go out to get the batteries charged up and cool down the refer. If I don't use it for couple of months I will plug it back in for a day or 2 to top of the batteries. Heard it was always best to keep batteries full when stored.

08-15-2009, 08:53 AM
I have the charge wizard on my converter and keep it plugged in all the time at home. I've had the same battery since I brought the unit home in November of 2003. I had to add the charge wizard but I think the newer ones have the built in.

I would have a battery maintainer installed on the starting battery and keep it plugged in too.