PDA

View Full Version : Shore power wasn't working

tucson_sailors
12-08-2009, 03:32 PM
For the records. Symptoms - shore power cable connected, no juice. Checked mechanical connections and replaced end with new plug in case of corrosion. No dice. Found power center underneath bed, looked for burnout of anything obvious. No dice.

Went online and searched for Magnetek 6345 power convertors, and found lots of info, but nothing specific. Mostly they have the 12v system die, and the 110 system stays on.

Accessed the power unit by removing the luan paneling under the mattress. Found a "Automatic Transfer Switch" attached to the power converter. Researched online, and found that this is not a regular part of the 6345 convertor. Unplugged EVERYTHING from power, and removed this unit, wirenutted the generator connector wires, and reconnected the 6345 to shore power alone.

Lights and power 12v and 110 the next time I plugged in the shore cord. Now that I have power, will have to replace the ATS if my onboard genny works (still have to test) but figured this would be a good addition to the stable of bodge fixes for people.

Glenn in Tucson
91 Sun Voyager 34'

tucson_sailors
03-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Yup. It was the ATS. I cobbled together a temporary fix by taking the wiring that comes off of the 6.5 onboard, and running it to a 30 amp connector in the electric cable bay.

When I want shore power, I connect the onboard cable to the shore outlet. When I want onboard genny, I just connect the shore cable to the internal outlet. Good enough for now, untill I update the 6345 to something a bit more modern.

Glenn in Tucson

GStream40
03-31-2010, 04:28 PM
When my 50 amp transfer switch went bad a couple years ago, I ordered a new one from this site: http://www.solarseller.com/iota_automatic_transfer_switches__iota_power_distr ibution_panels__inverter_load_.htm#its___50_r_

It was fast shipping and good service.

Ron