PDA

View Full Version : Anothewr broken windshield.

darbyjudy
12-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Went camping over the weekend and when I went to back the motor home into the site I heard a pop and later found a broken windshield on the passenger side. The drivers side one broke about two years ago the same way. I am wondering about these Gulfstream motor homes.
Also noticed on the end of two of the slideouts toward the botton there is bubbles and it looks like electrolis has set in. I know it is a very thin sheet of aluminum over wood. Any one else with this problem. It is on a 2004 Sun Voyager.

Beaufort NC
12-21-2009, 06:20 AM
Is there anything that will cause a windshield to break, other than overtorqueing the frame with the jacks?

darbyjudy
12-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Well like I said it broke when I was backing into the site. there was a little bump where the site and road met, I had the wheels cut sharply to the left and when it went over the bump it must have twisted the frame enough to torque the windshield glass and break it. I don't know why in the heck they need such a large windshield anyway. I beleive that is the problem. the drivers side broke the same way when I was backing into our side yard to park it. You know you cannot get away from bumps all the time and you must turn the wheel at times.

Beaufort NC
12-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Whooops, I missed the part about backing in. What kind of chassis is your MH built on?

darbyjudy
12-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Built on a Workhorse W22 frame. I have the 37 ft. with three slides. Like I said the Drivers side broke about two years ago pulling into the spot beside the house. It has never happened when I was leveling. Really the bump I pulled over was not that bad. I had to have the window reset once when it had moved and left a gap where the wind was making noise. I just really think the window is too large and the body must twist a little causing it to break. Really a bummer, but I know others that have had the same problems with a lot more expensive motor homes.

Beaufort NC
12-21-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm sure it happens, and what a bad bit of engineering that must be. I have a jack system which has independent controls for the rear jacks, but a common control for the front. I assume that there must be some sort of a manifold which equalizes the hydraulic pressure across the two front jacks, but I'm always concerned about it when I'm not on a relatively level surface. So far, so good, however, after almost four years and a lot of set-ups.