PDA

View Full Version : driver seat won't go back far enough because of galley slide

rob
01-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Does anyone have a solution to get the driver seat back or not so straight

frank
01-06-2010, 08:40 AM
there's not much you can do about bringing the seat back ,unless driveing with the slide out.my problem was that i couldnt get my leg comfortable in the driving position ,they would bring up in the bottom of the dash area and hit my shins. and the seat would not go back far enough to allow more leg room. i modified the lower part of the dash on each side of the steering colum .made two half circle openings and fab a piece of aluminum to use as a cover.lots of room now.when i am driving my legs fit the dash openings and i now can move the seat forward a bit more.

rob
01-06-2010, 11:22 AM
there's not much you can do about bringing the seat back ,unless driveing with the slide out.my problem was that i couldnt get my leg comfortable in the driving position ,they would bring up in the bottom of the dash area and hit my shins. and the seat would not go back far enough to allow more leg room. i modified the lower part of the dash on each side of the steering colum .made two half circle openings and fab a piece of aluminum to use as a cover.lots of room now.when i am driving my legs fit the dash openings and i now can move the seat forward a bit more. That is a good idea. I am 6'4" so that might be one solution. I also raised the seat 1.5" but that made the leg problem like u was talking about worse. maybe doing like u said will help. The back of the seat is so straight because it is up against the slide, I am thinking about taking some of the foam out of the head rest area and that might give me a little more slant back, then if i do the dash modification that might help.This forum is really neat. Thanks

RJ82much
01-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Before purchasing my Sun Voyager model, I tested for driver's seat room. I had noticed that the dealers always showed their models with the slide out. ie: lots of room, though certainly not the driving configuration.

I insisted that the slide be brought in for any model we were interested in. That's when we found the model 8351 with the deep slide on the road side allowed for enough room for the seat to clear the slide frame. We had to give up our original Atrium choice because it would be undriveable due to the seat hitting the slide frame. I can't imagine why the engineers didn't shorten the slide length by maybe 4 inches... Seems like that is asking too much. Gulf Stream is not the only manufacturer with this shortcoming.

Sorry Rob, that you had to learn the hard way. The dealers don't divulge this design flaw till after you own it!

RayChez1
01-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Before purchasing my Sun Voyager model, I tested for driver's seat room. I had noticed that the dealers always showed their models with the slide out. ie: lots of room, though certainly not the driving configuration.

I insisted that the slide be brought in for any model we were interested in. That's when we found the model 8351 with the deep slide on the road side allowed for enough room for the seat to clear the slide frame. We had to give up our original Atrium choice because it would be undriveable due to the seat hitting the slide frame. I can't imagine why the engineers didn't shorten the slide length by maybe 4 inches... Seems like that is asking too much. Gulf Stream is not the only manufacturer with this shortcoming.

Sorry Rob, that you had to learn the hard way. The dealers don't divulge this design flaw till after you own it!

I agree that it is a bad piece of engineering if you are a tall person. I have mine all the way back to where it touches the slide, it is right for me because I am only 5'10" tall. If I was any taller it would be a big problem where I would have to change to a different coach. But like somebody mentioned, it is not only Gulfstream engineering that has made that design. I have seen it on other brands.