PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Tourmaster 40 T A

trickto322
01-06-2010, 06:27 PM
We continue to find out things out about our "Black Beauty". We are going thru a wicked cold snap down here on coastal Alabama. To prevent our water hose from freezing we set all three of our sinks to a slow stream and leave the grey water valve open.
About 2:00 am I made a bathroom trip and found the bathroom sink just about to go over the top. Oh NO, I thought, the drain line froze. However, the kitchen and the sink in the bedroom were fine.
THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM: The sink in the bathroom drains right into the black tank. OMG :evil:

I wonder how much they saved on that short cut? good grief!!!!!!!

Beaufort NC
01-06-2010, 07:05 PM
To prevent our water hose from freezing we set all three of our sinks to a slow stream and leave the grey water valve open.

Unless it's really going down into the teens for an extended period of time, I wonder if you wouldn't be better off just running the heat in the MH to keep the pipes from freezing. I've spent many nights in sub-freezing weather without any freezing. I think some people drive them to Alaska in the wintertime (but not this driver).

trickto322
01-06-2010, 08:36 PM
over the past week quiet a few units have had frozen water hoses so some one in the park got an "idea". So that was the reason for the running water. However we are running the heat pump in the motorhome and I am wondering if the basement is heated when running just the heat pump?
On my OP, I did not think a sink should run into the black tank for a number of reasons.

mfa
01-06-2010, 08:38 PM
THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM: The sink in the bathroom drains right into the black tank. OMG :evil:

That's a relatively common practice among MH makers. It balances the wastewater load and adds fluid to the solids that come from the toilet.

David Bott
01-06-2010, 10:58 PM

That's a relatively common practice among MH makers. It balances the wastewater load and adds fluid to the solids that come from the toilet.

I concur. I had also thought it was weird at one time and then it was explained to me and it makes sense. After all, how often do you really use the small sink in the power room? As such, adding some water into the black tank for the solids is a must and helps the gray which fills much, much faster.

Dexter
01-07-2010, 01:17 AM
What I do is discommect the water hose and drain it. Close the hatch and make sure the furnace runs at least part time because the water lines and tanks are heated areas by the furnace. us the water pump until it warms up.
It got down to 7 degrees here last night and looking for the same tonight. no problem. The water from the taps even warmed up enough tu fell the dif.

trickto322
01-07-2010, 11:25 AM
thanks for the reply it does make sense now. :D

RayChez1
01-07-2010, 08:36 PM
The water drain from the sink in the bathroom goes to the grey tank on mine. I have never heard of it draining into the black tank. In the first place the black tanks are usually smaller then the grey. It would fill that tank pretty fast. Not good if they done that. :roll: :roll:
The heat pumps do not heat the bottom compartments. The heat pumps only heat up until the temperature falls below freezing, then it will switch automaticly to the furnace. The furnace does have big four inch hoses that run over the tanks to heat them and keep everything from freezing.

hyall
01-07-2010, 09:24 PM
on ours you're right the guest restroom lav drains into the black holding tank to add addition water to help dissolve the waste preventing caking up and also venting the system

RayChez1
01-07-2010, 09:33 PM
on ours you'll right the guest restroom lav drains into the black holding tank to add addition water to help dissolve the waste instead of caking up and vent the system

LOL! Why would it cake up??????? Man use some water everytime you flush! Or even better put a table spoon of Happy Camper into the black tank, it will turn every thing back into water. I can't believe I am reading this.

Diehnel
02-06-2010, 07:10 PM
We have a 2007 Friendship G-8. The Washer/Dryer on it is also plumbed to the Black Water tank. Go Figure

RayChez1
02-06-2010, 07:44 PM
How about the water off the shower? Does the shower water also go in to the black tank? WOW! it seems like it would fill the black tank pretty fast since it is small then the grey tank. I believe my black tank is only like 55 gallons and the grey is like 65 gallons.

mfa
02-06-2010, 08:51 PM
How about the water off the shower? Does the shower water also go in to the black tank? WOW! it seems like it would fill the black tank pretty fast since it is small then the grey tank. I believe my black tank is only like 55 gallons and the grey is like 65 gallons.
No, the shower and kitchen sink go to the grey water tank.
The toilet and the bathroom sink go to the black water tank.